The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bluejackets are in need of forwards to expose for expansion draft

Rate this topic

HKSR

12 minutes ago, mll said:

Doesn't seem to be an issue.  CapFriendly shows them with 9 forwards under team control for next season who have the required number of games.  They can only protect 7.  

Sounds like the problem is a team must expose a minimum of 2 forwards if they are protecting 7.

CBJ protects:  Atkinson, Nyquist, Domi, Jenner, Bjorkstrand, Roslovic, and Robinson as their 7.

These guys are the outliers:

- Grigorenko is off to Europe under contract so won't be available for exposure

- Laine is an RFA

- Stenlund is an RFA

That's it.  They have a problem for sure.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Sounds like the problem is a team must expose a minimum of 2 forwards if they are protecting 7.

CBJ protects:  Atkinson, Nyquist, Domi, Jenner, Bjorkstrand, Roslovic, and Robinson as their 7.

These guys are the outliers:

- Grigorenko is off to Europe under contract so won't be available for exposure

- Laine is an RFA

- Stenlund is an RFA

That's it.  They have a problem for sure.

Stenlund just got re-signed.

Laine is their only RFA and he will be protected.  Leaves 8 who meet the requirements and there's only 6 spots left with Laine protected. 

I don't think the writer of this article is any brighter than the Vancouver media. 

Under the caption "Who Are the Blue Jackets Likely to Protect?" he does not include Laine as he goes on to say "Technically, Laine does not need to be protected because he is not under contract for the 2021-22 season". He is correct in saying they don't have to protect Laine but Seattle is free to select him if they don't.

Edited by Rick Blight
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I don't think the writer of this article is any brighter than the Vancouver media. 

Under the caption "Who Are the Blue Jackets Likely to Protect?" he does not included Laine as he goes on to say "Technically, Laine does not need to be protected because he is not under contract for the 2021-22 season". He is correct in saying they don't have to protect Laine but Seattle is free to select him if they don't.

Exactly. It'd be like if Vancouver didn't protect Pettersson. RFA's still require protection because unlike UFA's the team still owns their rights even if they aren't under contract.

Edited by 204CanucksFan
  • Cheers 1

Just now, mll said:

Laine is their only RFA and he will be protected.  Leaves 8 who meet the requirements and there's only 6 spots left with Laine protected. 

Oh ok, didn't know Stenlund just got re-signed... I guess CBJ could very well lose a pretty good forward.  I'm sure CBJ doesn't wanna lose any of these guys for nothing:

Atkinson, Nyquist, Domi, Jenner, Bjorkstrand, Roslovic, Robinson

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

4 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Under the caption "Who Are the Blue Jackets Likely to Protect?" he does not included Laine as he goes on to say "Technically, Laine does not need to be protected because he is not under contract for the 2021-22 season". He is correct in saying they don't have to protect Laine but Seattle is free to select him if they don't.

1 minute ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Exactly. It'd be like if Vancouver didn't protect Pettersson. RFA's still require protection because unlike UFA's the team still owns their rights even if theu aren't under contract.

Stop making sense people!  REMEMBER LOUI ERIKSSON SAYS HI!

loui-meme.png?resize=1424,801&ssl=1

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Absolutely not the most brilliant pen in the study drawer! We all squandered 60-90 secs of precious life on this?!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I bet they leave Domi unprotected. He's not playing for 6 months minimum.

But can you expose an inured player?

That's an interesting question.  I don't see why not if there isn't a NMC in place although it seems like an issue the NHLPA would possibly have brought up.  Still, it seems more risky for the drafting team than it is for the player being picked, and outside of a NMC, I can't recall other situations that would force a team to protect a player.  Perhaps some may recall if VGK selected any players who were recovering from injuries and not expected to start the season.

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Regardless, considering the Domi contract Seattle (without sweetener from CBJ) isn’t taking Domi.  Domi and Drouin will be exposed, and neither will be selected, because of their contracts.  

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Regardless, considering the Domi contract Seattle (without sweetener from CBJ) isn’t taking Domi.  Domi and Drouin will be exposed, and neither will be selected, because of their contracts.  

Drouin for sure, I could see Seattle flipping Domi for a 2nd if they retain salary?

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Not a legal document, so perhaps the article is incomplete, but this was the best thing found so far about injuries and the expansion draft

Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection.

https://www.nhl.com/news/seattle-kraken-2021-nhl-expansion-draft-rules-same-as-vegas-golden-knights-followed/c-302586918

Edit: found this later on, with some interesting info, giving insight into what happened with Vegas' draft, and some interesting perspectives: https://soundofhockey.com/2020/11/12/breaking-down-the-seattle-kraken-nhl-expansion-draft-rules/.  A better read than the NHL.com one, and repeats the same injury rule above.

Edited by Kragar
  • Thanks 1