The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is the main position target the canucks need

Rate this topic

To fix your positional needs, just borrow a page from the Leafs which is sign cheap ufas to short term contracts. Jason Spezza at $700,000 for 1 year and Alex Galchenyuk for $1,050,000 for 1 year (worked out for them) are good examples of this method.  Florida also did something similar when they signed Alex Wennberg to a $2.25 million for 1 year and Carter Verhaeghe to a $1 million 2 year deal.

3 hours ago, WestCoastDave said:

To fix your positional needs, just borrow a page from the Leafs which is sign cheap ufas to short term contracts. Jason Spezza at $700,000 for 1 year and Alex Galchenyuk for $1,050,000 for 1 year (worked out for them) are good examples of this method.  Florida also did something similar when they signed Alex Wennberg to a $2.25 million for 1 year and Carter Verhaeghe to a $1 million 2 year deal.

So who is the cheap 700k ufa who will plug into our top line D?

• Haha 1

Miller- Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson- Horvat-???

Hoglander-??-Podkolzin

4th line (we have lots of options, will just be filled with our internal guys that can hopefully skate, have grit, and play a bit in the offensive zone)

This is more my ideal forwards. where we are so deep that we can have Hoglander and Podkolzin grow on the 3rd line and give us terrific depth scoring, though we would need a top-6 winger for this to happen (could have been Tofu, but whatever). This could potentially give us an elite first line, a solid 2nd line, and an elite 3rd line. Realistically, we have at least one of Hoglander or Podkolzin in the top-6, so a speedy top 9 forward is a more likely target.

True #1 D- Myers (if Myers isn't chosen in the expansion draft)

Schmidt- Hughes

Hamonic- Rathbone

We need that sizeable, mobile, true #1 d-man that you can use as your anchor. Late in a game, I'd probably have him and another d-man (not Hughes) out there, and might even think of pushing Hughes down to the 2nd unit where he can shine more with powerplay time and not having to be the main shutdown guy. I'd like to see more 6'2 mobility in the back-end that can clear the crease, but also skate and transition the puck. Hughes and Rathbone would be our undersized options. I'm fine trading Schmidt since we'd probably need some of his money for the #1 d-man and other options. Realistically, I don't see us getting a true number #1 d-man since there are so few candidates (Hamilton and Jones) available and the cost for one is substantial, so we're maybe looking at a guy like Savard for the top-4. 

I think without a massive overhaul this season, we're looking at all the main guys to step up again, and hopefully better overall synergy.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Western Red said:

I think Baumer kinda stomped his spirit out and didn't like the Ra Ra he has about him. I see him as a 4D at best and that's what Myers is so..

Pure speculation, obviously.

Every player is different under a different coach & system - we saw how the d core was with Baumer and the result was not good

Edited by ShawnAntoski
25 minutes ago, c00kies said:

Miller- Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson- Horvat-???

Hoglander-??-Podkolzin

4th line (we have lots of options, will just be filled with our internal guys that can hopefully skate, have grit, and play a bit in the offensive zone)

This is more my ideal forwards. where we are so deep that we can have Hoglander and Podkolzin grow on the 3rd line and give us terrific depth scoring, though we would need a top-6 winger for this to happen (could have been Tofu, but whatever). This could potentially give us an elite first line, a solid 2nd line, and an elite 3rd line. Realistically, we have at least one of Hoglander or Podkolzin in the top-6, so a speedy top 9 forward is a more likely target.

True #1 D- Myers (if Myers isn't chosen in the expansion draft)

Schmidt- Hughes

Hamonic- Rathbone

We need that sizeable, mobile, true #1 d-man that you can use as your anchor. Late in a game, I'd probably have him and another d-man (not Hughes) out there, and might even think of pushing Hughes down to the 2nd unit where he can shine more with powerplay time and not having to be the main shutdown guy. I'd like to see more 6'2 mobility in the back-end that can clear the crease, but also skate and transition the puck. Hughes and Rathbone would be our undersized options. I'm fine trading Schmidt since we'd probably need some of his money for the #1 d-man and other options. Realistically, I don't see us getting a true number #1 d-man since there are so few candidates (Hamilton and Jones) available and the cost for one is substantial, so we're maybe looking at a guy like Savard for the top-4. 

I think without a massive overhaul this season, we're looking at all the main guys to step up again, and hopefully better overall synergy.

Schmidt and Hughes together is and will be a disaster.

That first line gets destroyed 5 on 5... Hopefully Hoglander can play Peteys wing.

Build from the net out.

Canucks have Demko, good start, but the D needs serious help.

Hughes and Rathbone could be the mobile offensive types, and I like Hamonic, so I hope they re-sign him.  But Edler.... Some were saying it's fun to play the Canucks, and a problem is the pushback and physicality. Edler avoids all of this. Sure, he'll lay out a hit occasionally, but if there's any violence going down, he'll skate away. Edler also takes bad penalties because he's slow, so he needs to hook, etc. I'm tired of watching the Canucks being bullied. I like what I read recently, where Juolevi says he wants to play more physically and thinks he's ready for that. Schmidt is overpaid for what he brings. I have no issues with Myers, I respect that he tried to help Jake last summer.

• Upvote 2
13 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Build from the net out.

Canucks have Demko, good start, but the D needs serious help.

Hughes and Rathbone could be the mobile offensive types, and I like Hamonic, so I hope they re-sign him.  But Edler.... Some were saying it's fun to play the Canucks, and a problem is the pushback and physicality. Edler avoids all of this. Sure, he'll lay out a hit occasionally, but if there's any violence going down, he'll skate away. Edler also takes bad penalties because he's slow, so he needs to hook, etc. I'm tired of watching the Canucks being bullied. I like what I read recently, where Juolevi says he wants to play more physically and thinks he's ready for that. Schmidt is overpaid for what he brings. I have no issues with Myers, I respect that he tried to help Jake last summer.

I've been saying that for years.  I thought Schmidt would be better than he was but he gets a pass for last season because of a number of issues from me (ie., new team, new coach, new teammates, etc.,).  Myers is 31 years old now.  He's likely to decline at this point.  Edler, re-signed or not, is better suited for a diminished role.  That leaves who up front that can play well without the puck on D?

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

We need primarily, right D and a 3C.

I'm hoping we're targeting guys like Mayfield, Foote etc ahead of the ED.

But we also have options with Hamonic, Larsson, Savard or on the cheaper side, Hakanpaa or Ceci via UFA.

Next summer is when we go after the big fish though IMO with guys like Parayko, Risto, Lindholm etc all available.

As for 3C, I was THRILLED to see CBJ extend Stenlund yesterday. Right now Capfriendly has him exposed but really, if you're re-something'ing Columbus, are you exposing the younger, cheaper, club controlled Stenlund or the older, soon to be expiring UFA Jenner?

Jenner for Roussel + Lind or a pick +/- please!

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Amaneey said:

Thoughts on Jani Hakanpaa as possible partner for Hughes?

29 year old, 6'5",  218 pounds, plays a heavy game.

I would be down with the Canucks signing Hakanpaa.  I watched some the Canes playoff games and it was interesting to see them lean on Hakanpaa a fair bit.  He seems like a good complimentary depth RHD and could be a decent partner for Hughes.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Defenseman who can.play defense and be physical and play a well rounded game while doing so.

Pretty tall order if you ask me and the Canucks would need more than one of these. 

Edited by GarthButcher5
12 hours ago, Jetliner said:

Package our 9th overall for Seth jones

And how would we pay him under our current cap situation.? Gotta be a contract going the other way, Schmidt and our 2nd?

11 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Defence wins championships. 

we need a defensive big minute D man, essentially a Mitchel,Ohlund,Edler,Hjarlmasson type of player.

doesn’t need to be a big name or flashy or any sort of point getter but someone who is a no nonsense solid defence first player. 

after that I would say 3C but to get the 3C we don’t necessarily need to target a player in that possition providing we can upgrade somewhere else that frees up someone to C that line.

also by 3C again I’m assuming defensive first duties who can chip in every so often.

Arguably I would move Horvat here and have his line as the matchup line (which it is) and then look for a typical 2C to centre a scoring line. 

In this instance Horvat probably still gets the most minutes. And you probably would still call him 2C. 

line 1 scoring

line 2 matchup

line 3 scoring 

line 4 D zone starts

tldr - we need a scoring centre and utilise horvat more in the Kesler matchup role 

This is my feeling as well. I look at what Montreal did by adding Edmundson and Chiarot and I think it's something the Canucks should try and emulate.

As much as you'd love to have a Seth Jones or Dougie Hamilton in the lineup, I think the kind of money they'd command is better spent elsewhere. (Like re-upping Petey and Quinn when the time comes)

• Hydration 1
11 hours ago, Vancan2021 said:

There simply is not, nor will be enough talent .

Whomever becomes available via FA, or trade, there is a reason why. 

No team is going to give up a die hard, go to war, do whatever it takes to win player. 

Your typical Taylor Hall players will be there... For a reason.

Quick local example is do you think Carolina would let a healthy, happy, strong Ferland go?

Could you imagine if we spent a fortune on Pietrianelo, OE Larson, etc??  

The big superstars are untouchables. 

Unless you can land a Braden Point, Kyle Connor type player, DONT waist money and assets on players that are not welcomed on their respected teams. 

On that note forget the other Grandlund we know.

Mikal will be available, and a perfect fit at a decent price. 29 yrs old, can score, playes hard 100%, great defensely including pk, just what the alian needs... Did I mention he should come "cheap". 

Do it JB you'll be a star again.  

Salary Cap dump, aka Miller

Mikael Granlund, definatly an option worth exploring

Edited by AbrasiveAjax

Based on the hiring of Brad Shaw, I think defense will be the area that management will focus on this year. With Shaw's experience developing defensemen, I see him being tapped for input as much as Green will be. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This is my feeling as well. I look at what Montreal did by adding Edmundson and Chiarot and I think it's something the Canucks should try and emulate.

As much as you'd love to have a Seth Jones or Dougie Hamilton in the lineup, I think the kind of money they'd command is better spent elsewhere. (Like re-upping Petey and Quinn when the time comes)

Yep I like quantity over quality. I believe two dman @ $5M are better than 1 dman @$10M.

Of course there are examples of me being wrong but I would look at depth vs a stud.

I would be looking at Bogosian very closely.

Edited by Chris12345

Vcr need a chnage up on defence, too often it's a fire drill. It never seems to be consistant. Some times they play man on man and other times they go for coverage ... and some times they revert to a fire drill. You make it easier on the players if you stick to just one system IMO. But they do need a better class of personall. Schmidt for another 4 years at $6 is a big anchor if we want to upgrade the D. Rathbone on an ELC is a big help ( for one more year ) and Myers is OK, not a difference maker but OK. Harmonic added a little more grit but Vcr as a bunch do not intimidate. As much as we enjoy watching Hughes do his thing he's not what you'd call a solid D'man. I'd like to see the likes of a Scott Mayfield, NYI, player or ( in my dreams) a Coltin Parayko. St L have a Justin Faulk at $6.5 and we have Scmidt at $6, heck Parayko is less than Schmidt. I think we can see the reason why Vcr is floudering ....just on D alone.  Please can we hire some new Pro Scouts