The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is the main position target the canucks need

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Every player is different under a different coach & system - we saw how the d core was with Baumer and the result was not good

The fact that Shaw was hired, is seen, at least for me, as a demotion for Baumer. He didn’t do a good job with the defense last year, which is why Green went out and sought another assistant coach to bring improvement in that area. 

• Vintage 1
Just now, N4ZZY said:

The fact that Shaw was hired, is seen, at least for me, as a demotion for Baumer. He didn’t do a good job with the defense last year, which is why Green went out and sought another assistant coach to bring improvement in that area. 

I feel like it's more so if Greener is the boss Shaw is his foreman. Shaw did say he's gonna have his hand in everything besides goaltending. All the other coaches will probably report to Greener and Shaw.

45 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Yeah, we might need that Reinhart guy after all...

Haste is what Benning seems to operate out of the last 7-8 years he’s been on the job. 

He’s made bad decisions because he was impatient. I’m hoping and praying that the man has learned his lesson the last 7 years on the job, because if he keeps on making mistakes, I don’t know how Aquilini can continue to employ a person who would show himself to be imcompetent. 

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I feel like it's more so if Greener is the boss Shaw is his foreman. Shaw did say he's gonna have his hand in everything besides goaltending. All the other coaches will probably report to Greener and Shaw.

Well that’s good news then

napoleon dynamite yes GIF

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Haste is what Benning seems to operate out of the last 7-8 years he’s been on the job. 

He’s made bad decisions because he was impatient. I’m hoping and praying that the man has learned his lesson the last 7 years on the job, because if he keeps on making mistakes, I don’t know how Aquilini can continue to employ a person who would show himself to be imcompetent. 

Ditto, but the offseason is just about to begin - fingers crossed.

Our main need is not what we need to get, but what we need to get rid of.

We can't get what we need when we have money tied up in players like LE. 

The year after next is the big turn for us. 

• Hydration 1
32 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Our main need is not what we need to get, but what we need to get rid of.

We can't get what we need when we have money tied up in players like LE. 

The year after next is the big turn for us. 

Yeah, and is that Benning’s last year before he’ll need a new contract? 

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, and is that Benning’s last year before he’ll need a new contract? 

I don't think we will see contracts like those anymore. 

5 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I don't think we will see contracts like those anymore. 

Like what? Like Beagle? Sutter? Ericsson? 

50 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

D

Yep. I think our first round pick in this draft is going to be a forward (centre, or a winger). 

I’m a little worried about Evidsson (sp?). Don’t know too much about the player and whether he would be a good pick for the Canucks - especially if McTavish, or Johnson were to be available still. 

• Vintage 1
4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Aquilini may be the impatient one pushing JB to hurry up and make the playoffs. He is bleeding money between empty restaurants and no fans in the stands. I agree about us needing to be slower to do it right. Given so many needs that the team has, I’d rather chip away at them, dumping some of the anchor contracts this year (hello Abbotsford or buyouts), keeping the 9th overall pick (unless we got a young RHD in exchange for the pick), bridge deals for Petey and Hughes, and simply getting a 3rd line C. Next year, the rest of the anchor contracts expire and we can afford another top 4 D.

I’ve long ragged on the Canucks for not having a decent D-core for many years. But honestly, on paper, this should have been at least average in the league:

Hughes - Hamonic 

Edler - Schmidt

Juolevi - Myers

I seriously think it’s a coaching problem, with defensive systems. Hopefully the Shaw hire helps. Trotz taking the Isles from worst defensive team in the league to best defensive team in 1 year is proof that coaching is just as important as personnel.

So, to answer the OP, two-way 3C who kills penalties. I think with the right guy between Motte and Podkolzin we’d have a fantastic 3rd line (finally!).

Edited by D-Money
  • Hydration 2
3 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

He's taken alot of heat for those contracts 

Absolutely, and deservedly so. Those contracts have not lived up well, like at all. 

Benning also needs to keep his mouth shut. I remember when he called Sutter a foundational player. Saying things like that just doesn’t make him sound very intelligent. If you don’t have anything smart to say, then just keep your mouth shut. 

Benning hasn’t done anything during UFA in previous years to indicate that he wouldn’t sign some stupid contracts this off-season. As a Canucks fan. I’m afraid of what stupid thing he’s going to do. 

55 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I’ve long ragged on the Canucks for not having a decent D-core for many years. But honestly, on paper, this should have been at least average in the league:

Hughes - Hamonic 

Edler - Schmidt

Juolevi - Myers

I seriously think it’s a coaching problem, with defensive systems. Hopefully the Shaw hire helps. Trotz taking the Isles from worst defensive team in the league to best defensive team in 1 year is proof that coaching is just as important as personnel.

So, to answer the OP, two-way 3C who kills penalties. I think with the right guy between Motte and Podkolzin we’d have a fantastic 3rd line (finally!).

Trotz is an amazing coach. When he was coaching the Preds he regularly took them higher than their roster provided. He was, and is a good coach. 

I’m hoping that Greener can get to becoming one of the best in the league as coach, and that Shaw is going to help our defensive corps to perform at optimum peak. We need new personnel as well. Can’t be bringing in the same players expecting different results. At the end of the day, there’s going to be some change, but gotta have the right coach as well to help the defense play up to its potential. 

3 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

Aquilini may be the impatient one pushing JB to hurry up and make the playoffs. He is bleeding money between empty restaurants and no fans in the stands. I agree about us needing to be slower to do it right. Given so many needs that the team has, I’d rather chip away at them, dumping some of the anchor contracts this year (hello Abbotsford or buyouts), keeping the 9th overall pick (unless we got a young RHD in exchange for the pick), bridge deals for Petey and Hughes, and simply getting a 3rd line C. Next year, the rest of the anchor contracts expire and we can afford another top 4 D.

I think his business is going to rebound, especially the restaurant business. That really took, in my opinion, the largest hit during COVID. Hoping that Aquilini gets much financial rebound, so that he can invest all that $$$ back into the team. For all the criticism that Aquilini gets, and sometimes it’s deserving, the man cannot be blamed for being cheap. 

11 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

So we should plug the gaps with cheap ufas surely if it was such an easy task you would be able to real of at least one? 

Like I said before that is the job of management.  It is not an easy task because you still need to do your homework, due diligence,...etc.  Anyhow, a very recent example is Toronto just resign Speeza to a 1 year $750,000  for the fine work he did last season.

50 minutes ago, WestCoastDave said:

Like I said before that is the job of management.  It is not an easy task because you still need to do your homework, due diligence,...etc.  Anyhow, a very recent example is Toronto just resign Speeza to a 1 year $750,000  for the fine work he did last season.

Right so if I say we should just get a n01 rhd and a franchise player that will solve our problems and I’m sure management can get those for under 3m