The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is the main position target the canucks need

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

8 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Right so if I say we should just get a n01 rhd and a franchise player that will solve our problems and I’m sure management can get those for under 3m

Let me help you understand.  This approach is just one of several options available to help improve the club.  Of course getting a no. 1 D seems unlikely through the ufa route at such a low cap.  Good point. What it does (as shown in Leafs and Panthers examples) is you could get complementary pieces to add to your team at good value.  Look at the gm in Florida.  He used this method (along with other moves) to successfully help improve his team and is now the favorite to win gm of the year.  

On 6/17/2021 at 4:52 PM, Western Red said:

Schmidt just ain't it, I was thinking earlier today that he was jettisoned for a reason. Some great hockey minds in VGK deemed him expendable. He signed his deal at 5.7 or whatever it is with the added benefit of ZERO state tax and the perks of Vegas. I could see him being pissed about that despite his smiling camera face. 

VGK need to get rid of salary to sign Pietrangelo. Schmidt's was the easiest. 

Top 6 flexible forward here's why:

• Schmidt in a regular year should be an upgrade
  • Rathbone for a full year will be an upgrade from what we had last year
  • Brad Shaw attention to defensive details should help our system play specifically in the defensive zone transitions
  • Forwards are also involved and to blame for defensive lapses... I feel like the high goal against numbers are immediately blamed on the defense but really the issue is poor zone transitions that lead to turnovers... In short a good forward and forward depth also leads to better defense

Our cap space is limited this year and becomes more infinitely flexible the next years. In any year we can't fix every problem at once but considering the high costs for defensemen in trades and the potential UFAs (mainly Morgan Reilly and Seth Jones) for next year it may be more reasonable to target a top 6 forward this year and a high-end defenseman the next

• Like 1

12 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Absolutely, and deservedly so. Those contracts have not lived up well, like at all. 

Benning also needs to keep his mouth shut. I remember when he called Sutter a foundational player. Saying things like that just doesn’t make him sound very intelligent. If you don’t have anything smart to say, then just keep your mouth shut. 

Benning hasn’t done anything during UFA in previous years to indicate that he wouldn’t sign some stupid contracts this off-season. As a Canucks fan. I’m afraid of what stupid thing he’s going to do. 

I hated the LE contract from the start. The rest of them I understand. We had nobody coming up through the system so ufas were our only option and the agents knew this. I think he was trying to sign leadership types to have on the team while we were bringing young players up. 

What's your problem with him calling Sutter foundational? 

Do you need to be a superstar to be foundational?  

• Cheers 1

RD or 3C but if Seattle takes Holtby than maybe a backup goalie . if Ian Clarke thinks MDP isn't ready yet ?

But any improvement would be good under the right circumstances , even though JB said he was going to be aggressive [ hopefully meaning 2 buyouts ] . heard somewhere that JB said he would only trade #1 pick if it involved a top player under the age of 24 . I think unless it is he can grab another deal like or better than the JT miller  deal .

I think It will be next year for any real big changes . I want to see more of what the young prospects they have now can do with a decent look . I am OK with signing Elder  1 year as long as OJ and Rathbone play hopefully one or both will take over Elders role as the year goes by .  Harmonic should get signed if the $ are right . Like to see Woo get a chance if he is ready for a look see as well . Hope they Keep JT Miller with EP and find a 3C line center this off season Just don't break the bank or trade away too much of the future to get it 

15 hours ago, Nurnge said:

RD or 3C but if Seattle takes Holtby than maybe a backup goalie . if Ian Clarke thinks MDP isn't ready yet ?

But any improvement would be good under the right circumstances , even though JB said he was going to be aggressive [ hopefully meaning 2 buyouts ] . heard somewhere that JB said he would only trade #1 pick if it involved a top player under the age of 24 . I think unless it is he can grab another deal like or better than the JT miller  deal .

I think It will be next year for any real big changes . I want to see more of what the young prospects they have now can do with a decent look . I am OK with signing Elder  1 year as long as OJ and Rathbone play hopefully one or both will take over Elders role as the year goes by .  Harmonic should get signed if the $ are right . Like to see Woo get a chance if he is ready for a look see as well . Hope they Keep JT Miller with EP and find a 3C line center this off season Just don't break the bank or trade away too much of the future to get it 

Why would Seattle take Holtby ? They have better options . I think we loose a youngster , Two players I would like to see added , Wennberg and Granlund at Center position and a third Rutta at D. 

RHD priority # 1.

3C  # 2

Another top six LW #4

Cheap bottom six # 5

Going to add number .5 ahead of number one, we need to have an excellent draft this year and next year.    That will help with everything after that AND make at least one blue chip for blue chip trade soon.  Can't built a team on BPA alone ... end up with too many of one thing (LHD's, RWs for us) and not enough of the rest. 

As for number we are sorted (except our maybe expensive Sutter replacement).  It's ok to spend 4 on your 3C. 

This team needs a Butcher like trade.  Or the one then brought McLean in, or fingers crossed, a Linden trade or Bertuzzi trade.   Miller is the low hanging fruit ... BB and Horvat and QHs also should be at least considered starting now and over the next two years.    Know the cap world doesn't have many of these but man JB needs to learn how to do this too. 

We have a lot of great young players, hope to add Podz to that list this year too, and sure he will at least be a Hansen, at best Rick Nash or even better, Forsberg but think that's going to far.   Sure managed a lot with limited ice time as a 200 foot player.   Brings sandpaper, puck possession, PK, drive, size etc ... and has a great shot plus passing skills.  

Draft.  This one is very important as is next years.   Wrapping up the support players and hopefully ...  two more blue chip guys at least.   

Overall, as long as our cap doesn't get out of hand again, we are in a goof position to do some serious regular season and playoff damage.   Best case this team is like our 2009 team this year. JB should be on a short leash at this point too.    Zero issue with the coaching staff as long as they keep the room. So far they have, and have gone through a lot of team building over the year as well. 

Cautiously optimistic.    JB needs another great off season to follow up all the tough decisions he made last year.    

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Why would Seattle take Holtby ? They have better options . I think we loose a youngster , Two players I would like to see added , Wennberg and Granlund at Center position and a third Rutta at D. 

Seattle might take Holtby because he can play the same role with them as he has with Vancouver. A nice backup tender to their #1. It certainly depends who their #1 is but he also appeals as an American on a new USA club. The odds are against this idea and Seattle probably takes the BPA. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Seattle might take Holtby because he can play the same role with them as he has with Vancouver. A nice backup tender to their #1. It certainly depends who their #1 is but he also appeals as an American on a new USA club. The odds are against this idea and Seattle probably takes the BPA. 

Holtby is Canadian

RD

3C

Physical upgrade

Schmidt    Oleksiak ufa (3.5m) or Hamonic (2.5m)

Hughes needs a physical and reliable partner.  Larsson (5m) 

C Michael McLeod (1.5m)  Jersey has an abundance of Cs that are far better than McLeod (ant this point).  He will not be protected at the expansion draft and is an RFA.  I think Jersey would trade him for a low price.

McLeod is only 23yrs and needs to improve his defensive game. He is a great skater, physically tough, protects the puck and has offensive upside.  His style of play is similar to Bo and Podz.

Miller    Pete  Brock

Pears   Bo    Hogs

Motte   Mcleod   Podz

Highmore  Beagle  MacEwan

Oleksiak    Schmidt  or   Schmidt/Hamonic

Quinn     Larsson

Olli         Myers

This is a much tougher team to play against.

5 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

That was just a " what if " not that I think they will . I think the Canucks will probably lose " Lind " . but I hope not 

Trade for a Mayfield/Foote (or similar) ahead of the ED (exposing Myers). Either Myers gets selected and we have $6m to replace him or we keep him and have a deeper D.

Trade for Jenner ahead of the ED.

Sign Hamonic or Hakanpaa/Ceci.

Help Tampa clear cap by swapping them Killorn + for Ferland.

Re-up Edler on a one year, cheap, bonus heavy deal as 7th D.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Hoglander

Killorn, Jenner, Podkolzin

Highmore, Beagle, Motte

Graovac

Hughes, Hamonic/Hakanpaa

Schmidt, Mayfield/Foote

Juolevi, Myers

Edler

Rathbone playing big minutes in Abby and first injury call up.

*If Myers gets selected by SEA, either attempt to sign two of Hamonic/Hakanpaa/Ceci etc or move Schmidt right and play Edler/Rathbone on the third pair.

Then target big fish next year like Parayko, Risto, Lindholm etc 

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

Fix the D, then tweak what they can, with the money left over; which won't be much this season.

Does Edler sign a 1 yr $3.5 mill NTC, after Expansion draft?

Hamonic 1 or 2 yr $2.5 mill?

Ollie  2 yrs upto $1.5 per?

Hughes  2yrs $5.5?

On 6/19/2021 at 12:32 PM, erkayloomeh said:

I hated the LE contract from the start. The rest of them I understand. We had nobody coming up through the system so ufas were our only option and the agents knew this. I think he was trying to sign leadership types to have on the team while we were bringing young players up. 

What's your problem with him calling Sutter foundational? 

Do you need to be a superstar to be foundational?  

Foundations of a house are the parts you don't see, that hold everything together. All these years later I'm still confused how people don't seem to understand that's what Benning concidered Sutter. Someone who would play hard, win draws, kill penalties, play defense, and mentor the room so the young kids could flourish.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Trade for a Mayfield/Foote (or similar) ahead of the ED (exposing Myers). Either Myers gets selected and we have $6m to replace him or we keep him and have a deeper D.

Trade for Jenner ahead of the ED.

Sign Hamonic or Hakanpaa/Ceci.

Help Tampa clear cap by swapping them Killorn + for Ferland.

Re-up Edler on a one year, cheap, bonus heavy deal as 7th D.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Hoglander

Killorn, Jenner, Podkolzin

Highmore, Beagle, Motte

Graovac

Hughes, Hamonic/Hakanpaa

Schmidt, Mayfield/Foote

Juolevi, Myers

Edler

Rathbone playing big minutes in Abby and first injury call up.

*If Myers gets selected by SEA, either attempt to sign two of Hamonic/Hakanpaa/Ceci etc or move Schmidt right and play Edler/Rathbone on the third pair.

Then target big fish next year like Parayko, Risto, Lindholm etc 

Killorn and Jenner would be fantastic pieces for the bottom 6. When injuries happen they can play top 6 roles as well.  

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Foundations of a house are the parts you don't see, that hold everything together. All these years later I'm still confused how people don't seem to understand that's what Benning concidered Sutter. Someone who would play hard, win draws, kill penalties, play defense, and mentor the room so the young kids could flourish.

sutter is the main reason why secondary scoring has been an issue not only last season. It doesn't matter what wingers you put on his line they won't score that much because Sutter's playmaking ability is close to zero.

How often was the foundational piece out with an injury ? How many games has he missed over his time with the Canucks? Does he play hard ? Is he hard to play against? For sure not, but we do not have to agree on this one.

For me a foundational piece is a franchise player like a Gabriel Landeskog in Colorado, a Brent Burns in San Jose, a Drew Doughty in L.A. a Ryan Getzlaf in Anaheim. Those players lead by example have been top players for many many years.

Do you really think that Sutter should be included in this list? sutter in the same crop as Landeskog, Burns, Doughty, Getzlaf, really?

Just let me know.

16 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

sutter is the main reason why secondary scoring has been an issue not only last season. It doesn't matter what wingers you put on his line they won't score that much because Sutter's playmaking ability is close to zero.

How often was the foundational piece out with an injury ? How many games has he missed over his time with the Canucks? Does he play hard ? Is he hard to play against? For sure not, but we do not have to agree on this one.

For me a foundational piece is a franchise player like a Gabriel Landeskog in Colorado, a Brent Burns in San Jose, a Drew Doughty in L.A. a Ryan Getzlaf in Anaheim. Those players lead by example have been top players for many many years.

Do you really think that Sutter should be included in this list? sutter in the same crop as Landeskog, Burns, Doughty, Getzlaf, really?

Just let me know.

Yeah we will completely disagree that Sutter doesn't play hard and isn't hard to play against. He leads by example and is a pillar defensively. When interviewer's ask the kids who the leader in the room is Sutters name comes up year after year. Do I wish he would have had a better offensive output, sure, of course. But again that isn't the reason why Sutter was traded and signed to the team.

His injury history as a Canuck is unlucky, and has no business being part of your argument. Leading up to his trade to the Canucks, 4 out of 5 seasons he had played 80+ games. 

You can believe that foundational pieces are franchise pieces all you want. That's your business, but it goes back to the post you replyed to. They are different things entirely, and your entire post seemed to just explain in detail what I was saying in my first post. People, and in my opinion you, don't understand what Benning was talking about when he called Sutter foundational.

Foundational does not equal franchise altering players. Sutter was brought in to support our franchise players, and has done that job.

On 6/20/2021 at 2:10 PM, Wayne Glensky said:

Killorn and Jenner would be fantastic pieces for the bottom 6. When injuries happen they can play top 6 roles as well.  

Theyve been top 6 guys on contending teams.  Id put either with Horvat in place of Pearson