The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is the main position target the canucks need

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

On 6/17/2021 at 3:58 PM, Bertuzzipunch said:

After the petey and quinn signings are signed sealed and delivered what is the number 1 thing Jim needs to focus on?

Personally to me i think we need to find that 3rd line center as soon as possible thru a trade. Not having a 3C atm is probably the most important piece we need. Someone who can play with podz, good at defense, can penalty kill. 

if we are going to replace edler and maybe hamonic i think its better to wait for UFAs. I think after reasing this forum most are comfortable to just bring back the same defense and improve it next offseason. 

-is it re-signing our UFAs

-focus on draft

-trade for a dman

-top 6 forward

watcha think

I think the answer is pretty obvious, entering the final year of his contract, we need to focus on an extension for Eriksson.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Probably meant someone more established and who is not still trying to become a regular. 

like a Ferland. A veteran leader that a guy like Mac can follow and learn from. 

Exactly, I meant a Ryan Reaves in his prime type player. Or a Tom Wilson. Todd is nowhere near that. 

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Probably meant someone more established and who is not still trying to become a regular. 

like a Ferland. A veteran leader that a guy like Mac can follow and learn from. 

I agree but Macewan just needs the coach to put him in scoring role.  He has all the tools to be a Ferland type.  

43 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

I agree but Macewan just needs the coach to put him in scoring role.  He has all the tools to be a Ferland type.  

He has nothing on a healthy Ferland/Wilson/Reaves/etc. 

Still needs someone to follow and lead him. Help him become that sort of player. He’s still establishing himself as a player hence why he was in and out of the lineup.  

We could be more tougher/intimidating for sure. Especially at D. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

Honestly, stripping away the bad contracts.  It's not a popular decision, but all of the contracts.   In terms of depth, it's RHD.  The Canucks do not have the depth of assets to pull off Seth Jones, and not enough cap space to guarantee a long term contract for Jones north of 9M+ that he'll likely ask for. 

1 hour ago, TheCerebral1 said:

Honestly, stripping away the bad contracts.  It's not a popular decision, but all of the contracts.   In terms of depth, it's RHD.  The Canucks do not have the depth of assets to pull off Seth Jones, and not enough cap space to guarantee a long term contract for Jones north of 9M+ that he'll likely ask for. 

Roussel, could pay Seattle to take him in the expansion draft. Jake gets bought out/terminated. Might as well ride out Holtby's final season. Then there's Loui... we won't be able to trade him without screwing the team, and a buyout is hardly anymore savings than sending him to the AHL, so you tell him he's got 3 options:

1) Sit in the press box in Abby.       

2) Initiate contract termination, then he's free to sign league min elsewhere in the NHL, if he can even get a PTO.

3) Retire and finish his playing career in Sweden.

I'm sure CBJ will try to maximize the return on Jones, but him stating he won't re-sign with them... kinda puts CBJ in a tight spot. They may just have to take the best available offer, or lose him for nothing as a UFA. His trade return won't be as high as some may think. 

Edited by Chickenspear

To me its pretty clearly 3C. As much as Miller is an option... they have no other options. (Unless you consider Beagle or Sutter a viable option)

Looking at the free agent lists, some names:

- Stepan

- Stastny

- Janmark

- Zajac

- Bozak

- Perreault

- Bjugstad

- Wennberg

- Haula

- Brassard

- Bonino

Don't imagine these guys would break the bank.

Of this list Haula, Brassard, Wennberg, Janmark, Stastny, Zajac all had atleast 20 points last season (roughly 30 point pace, or more in some cases)

Haula/Wennberg are probably most intriguing for me, the younger guys on the list that have some speed & talent. Not sure Janmark is a C - though he was listed as that on the site I saw - but he would be a nice pickup too. 

Stastny & Brassard are interesting. Older guys but have been productive in the past. Brassard probably comes cheaper than Stastny. 

Stepan would be a Turris-like reclamation project after a bad season in Ottawa (and declining numbers in AZ prior), don't think that worked out so well for Edmonton...

I also like Bjugstad, but he's sort of a reclamation too. Not sure what you can count on him to be, probably more of a 'bottom 6' guy than a true 3C.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

To me its pretty clearly 3C. As much as Miller is an option... they have no other options. (Unless you consider Beagle or Sutter a viable option)

Looking at the free agent lists, some names:

- Stepan

- Stastny

- Janmark

- Zajac

- Bozak

- Perreault

- Bjugstad

- Wennberg

- Haula

- Brassard

- Bonino

Don't imagine these guys would break the bank.

Of this list Haula, Brassard, Wennberg, Janmark, Stastny, Zajac all had atleast 20 points last season (roughly 30 point pace, or more in some cases)

Haula/Wennberg are probably most intriguing for me, the younger guys on the list that have some speed & talent. Not sure Janmark is a C - though he was listed as that on the site I saw - but he would be a nice pickup too. 

Stastny & Brassard are interesting. Older guys but have been productive in the past. Brassard probably comes cheaper than Stastny. 

Stepan would be a Turris-like reclamation project after a bad season in Ottawa (and declining numbers in AZ prior), don't think that worked out so well for Edmonton...

I also like Bjugstad, but he's sort of a reclamation too. Not sure what you can count on him to be, probably more of a 'bottom 6' guy than a true 3C.

Outta that list probably would only want to give wennberg, Haula and Janmark more than a 1 year deal. 2 years is most id like to go.

1 year for stepan would be interesting wouldnt mind trying that 

the rest id rather pass on for now. 

On 6/23/2021 at 4:32 PM, Bertuzzipunch said:

Outta that list probably would only want to give wennberg, Haula and Janmark more than a 1 year deal. 2 years is most id like to go.

1 year for stepan would be interesting wouldnt mind trying that 

the rest id rather pass on for now. 

No to Stepan.  Too lazy a player.   

No to Bjugstad... his skating has dropped off significantly.  

Wennberg would be perfect but is he avail?  

Granlund?

On 6/20/2021 at 9:10 PM, aGENT said:

Trade for a Mayfield/Foote (or similar) ahead of the ED (exposing Myers). Either Myers gets selected and we have $6m to replace him or we keep him and have a deeper D.

Trade for Jenner ahead of the ED.

Sign Hamonic or Hakanpaa/Ceci.

Help Tampa clear cap by swapping them Killorn + for Ferland.

Re-up Edler on a one year, cheap, bonus heavy deal as 7th D.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Hoglander

Killorn, Jenner, Podkolzin

Highmore, Beagle, Motte

Graovac

Hughes, Hamonic/Hakanpaa

Schmidt, Mayfield/Foote

Juolevi, Myers

Edler

Rathbone playing big minutes in Abby and first injury call up.

*If Myers gets selected by SEA, either attempt to sign two of Hamonic/Hakanpaa/Ceci etc or move Schmidt right and play Edler/Rathbone on the third pair.

Then target big fish next year like Parayko, Risto, Lindholm etc 

from the Buffalo Sabres Forum:

" Adams will attempt to trade Ristolainen, but he's been on the block for three years with no takers, so it's not a given he goes. NJ is a possibility and has been for a while."

-----> not takers for the big fish Ristolainen for three years now. What is this telling us?

• Cheers 1

Just now, Wolfgang Durst said:

" Adams will attempt to trade Ristolainen, but he's been on the block for three years with no takers, so it's not a given he goes. NJ is a possibility and has been for a while."

-----> not takers for the big fish Ristolainen for three years now. What is this telling us?

It’s telling us the asking price is too high for Risto.  I’d like him here, but not for more than pick 41 and a B prospect.

what about OJ for Risto straight up?  

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Their asking price has been too high? GM's are comfortable waiting for him to go UFA rather than give up meaningful assets?

Don't get me wrong, I'd FAR prefer Parayko or even Lindholm, but Risto is still a decent UFA target. Granted we may be better off just hanging on to Myers as they're similar players (though Risto is younger and arguably a touch better).

On 6/17/2021 at 6:58 PM, Bertuzzipunch said:

After the petey and quinn signings are signed sealed and delivered what is the number 1 thing Jim needs to focus on?

Personally to me i think we need to find that 3rd line center as soon as possible thru a trade. Not having a 3C atm is probably the most important piece we need. Someone who can play with podz, good at defense, can penalty kill. 

if we are going to replace edler and maybe hamonic i think its better to wait for UFAs. I think after reasing this forum most are comfortable to just bring back the same defense and improve it next offseason. 

-is it re-signing our UFAs

-focus on draft

-trade for a dman

-top 6 forward

watcha think

I get where your going with with this, but with a little juggling we have three top six line deep C's as it is.   The team tried successfully to pigeon hole EP from LW to C his rookie year.  It worked.   That said he was insulated by Miller.   Podz is going to be a very good  add.   Not sure it will be enough to run three scoring lines but it will be close.  

Maybe that will be enough to keep the puck out of our zone and into the other one to give our D a chance.   It's also nice to have four Ds that can transfer it out of the D zone once possession is obtained  ... feel we need an upgrade on the right side.   Myers i've defended a lot   but i'd take Hamilton in a heartbeat.   Or as i've said several times, and this is sacrilege, i'd consider trading QHs for one of Chrycrun, Fox, Dobson, or Ekblad plus minus a little.    Our D underachieved last season although i do think they worked hard.   Am willing to see how it goes with OJ.   But if Rathbone offers 80% of what QHs does don't see the reasoning behind a left side that small.   Tough decisions. Glad i'm not JB.