The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is the main position target the canucks need

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

19 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Yeah looks that way. Was hoping a guy that wasnt gonna be protected in the ED.

I’d rather we get another D that way than a third line C. I really don't want Miller moved to 3C because then we need to shop for a first line winger, although Podz could possibly blow all our minds. I also hope that the offers JB has already made to Harmonic and Edler are modest and short-term. Summer of 2022 is when we can go big or go home, not this year.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

I’d rather we get another D that way than a third line C. I really don't want Miller moved to 3C because then we need to shop for a first line winger, although Podz could possibly blow all our minds. I also hope that the offers JB has already made to Harmonic and Edler are modest and short-term. Summer of 2022 is when we can go big or go home, not this year.

Any way is fine with me and i agree id rather have miller stay on the top line. Id rather we use gadj or Lind this year for 3rd line duties would be huge for both but think we really need to find that 3C this offseason.

2 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

This is great news. Seattle now has no leverage to get the Canucks to retain salary with 8 other teams interested. Love to get a draft pick and dump his salary. Edler is exploring free agency so he won’t get over paid by JB.

2 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

This is great news. Seattle now has no leverage to get the Canucks to retain salary with 8 other teams interested. Love to get a draft pick and dump his salary. Edler is exploring free agency so he won’t get over paid by JB.

This is assuming Seattle would even want Holtby. They have a lot of goalie options so I don't know if I'm convinced on it. It would be a pleasant surprise though.

1 - future 3rd line center

2 - defencemen depth to cover Juolevi/Rathbone/Hughes on the left (an old guy who can play 20 minutes would be perfect)

3 - bottom 6 big tough forwards who can kill penalties

If we trade Holtby/Seattle take him then obviously we'll need a veteran goalie too who can play 25-30 games because DiPietro is not there yet.

What about Johnson from TB for 3C ?

If JB really has a deal to move Schmidts cap hit,  why not use that room to get TB to trade us Cernak by taking on Johnson ?

He's still only 30 with just 3 years left.

TB really needs cap relief and are even looking to acquire LTIR contracts for more relief.   Taking TJ and sending Ferlands contract back in the deal as part of the return might be enough to pry Cernak from them.

Cernak and Johnsons combined cap hit isnt much more than Schmidts, yet we'd get a solid 3C and a good young RD added to the core.

On 7/16/2021 at 9:06 AM, steviewonder20 said:

I’m with you here. Our forwards will look much better if they aren’t constantly hemmed in their own end. We have Podz coming up this year but the D looks very poor back there. Hughes needs a solid partner (Hamonic would do, but I’d rather see an upgrade)

Hughes - ??? (Big defensive first guy)

Rathbone - Hamonic

Juolevi - Myers

I’m not saying that this is a cup winning lineup, but one truly solid d man can bump Hamonic down to show Rathbone the ropes and protect Hughes so he can play his game. Myers will shine with easier minutes, he is overpaid but is still a big man that can skate. 

our forward lines will do much better without Hughes coughing up the puck, Edler’s drop pass and having players in the right spot. Something tells me that Larson is our guy but time and money will determine that.