The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Big Trade

I know i will probably get flamed and hated for this but with the Devils likely selecting Luke Hughes.  

To NJ Hughes

To Van Bratt, Zacha & 1st rd NYI pick 2021 

To NSH Schmidt, Virtanen & 6th rd 2021

To Van Ekholm & 4th rd 2021

To Caps NYI 2021 

To Van Dillon

Buyout 

Beagle & Roussel 

Sign

Larsson 5yr/25 mil 5 per 

Forbort 1yr/1.5 mil

Holglander/Pettersson/Bratt

Miller/Horvat/Boeser

Pearson/Zacha/Podkolzin

Motte/MacEwen/Highmore

Ekholm/Larsson

Dillon/Myers

Forbort/Bowey

Demko

Dipetro

In that line up we only have 3 guys under 6ft Bratt,Motte and Highmore. Defence are all 6'2 or bigger. Im looking at Vegas only 2 players under 6ft Marchessault & Krebs

39 minutes ago, WCE said:

I know i will probably get flamed and hated for this but with the Devils likely selecting Luke Hughes.  

To NJ Hughes

To Caps NYI 2021 

To Van Dillon

Buyout 

Beagle & Roussel 

Sign

Larsson 5yr/25 mil 5 per 

Forbort 1yr/1.5 mil

Miller/Horvat/Boeser

Pearson/Zacha/Podkolzin

Motte/MacEwen/Highmore

Ekholm/Larsson

Dillon/Myers

Forbort/Bowey

Demko

Dipetro

In that line up we only have 3 guys under 6ft Bratt,Motte and Highmore. Defence are all 6'2 or bigger. Im looking at Vegas only 2 players under 6ft Marchessault & Krebs

These aren't bad in terms of proposal values but there's no way the Canucks would ever make that many changes to their core, especially given the fact that they made the 2nd round in 2020. Only teams that are in dire need of a culture change due to years upon years of abject failure would be open to making such drastic changes (i.e. Buffalo perhaps).

• Like 1

Don't see Benning moving Hughes and teams rarely come out on top when they are moving the better player for quantity.  His D game will improve.

Teams can't buy out injured players.  Unclear if Roussel/Beagle will be healthy by the buyout window.  Cap wise it's probably best to simply demote them to the AHL.  It's cheaper for ownership to buy them out though.

Nashville doesn't do the 2nd trade.  It costs them more in salary / cap space and does nothing for them.  Schmidt wouldn't be the D they would target - doesn't make them younger and doesn't even make them better defensively.  Ekholm is their most reliable D defensively that has been helping develop their young players and really stepped up this season given all their injuries.  Poile has every intention to extend him.   Friedman/LeBrun were speculating that he would at least return a 1st round pick at the TDL +.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

5 hours ago, WCE said:

To NJ Hughes

To Caps NYI 2021 

To Van Dillon

Buyout 

Beagle & Roussel 

Sign

Larsson 5yr/25 mil 5 per 

Forbort 1yr/1.5 mil

Miller/Horvat/Boeser

Pearson/Zacha/Podkolzin

Motte/MacEwen/Highmore

Ekholm/Larsson

Dillon/Myers

Forbort/Bowey

Demko

Dipetro

A few more questions:

1) How much cap would we save by buying out both Beagle and Roussel?  Would buyout be favorable from a cap perspective?  For example, buying out Eriksson wouldn’t save us that much (relatively speaking) while buying out Virtanen would pretty much take care of his entire cap hit (perhaps since he’s on an RFA deal?  I’m not sure how these things work).

2) I would rather hold onto Schmidt but IF I were to move him, I’d move him for an Edler replacement.....and so I do like your Ekholm idea, but I can’t see Nashville agreeing to that.

11 hours ago, WCE said:

To NJ Hughes

To Caps NYI 2021 

To Van Dillon

Buyout 

Beagle & Roussel 

Sign

Larsson 5yr/25 mil 5 per 

Forbort 1yr/1.5 mil

Miller/Horvat/Boeser

Pearson/Zacha/Podkolzin

Motte/MacEwen/Highmore

Ekholm/Larsson

Dillon/Myers

Forbort/Bowey

Demko

Dipetro

I really like your initiative to post this here, because in my point of view Canucks need to shake things up after this abysmal season. Most important thing is to move players out that aren't a fit. There were rumors that Schmidt is available before the trade deadline. Jim let the media know that Canucks are going to make 1-2 trades this summer. The logical next step is to think about trades like you did in your post.

Like you I would move on from Schmidt trying to get a top 4 D-Man back who fits in better than Schmidt. Schmidt had a great time with Vegas and therefore I think some GM's are tempted to add Schmidt to their teams. Basically it can be a 1 for 1 trade.

I am not sold on Hughes after this season being the worst D-Man in the plus/minus stat. I would also move on from Hughes trying to find a more well rounded / more complete D-Man who plays well in both ends. Pretty tough to project what the Canucks will get in return for him. I would assume that Benning doesn't want to get a 1st round pick. I think they will focus to get young players back.

8 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

A few more questions:

1) How much cap would we save by buying out both Beagle and Roussel?  Would buyout be favorable from a cap perspective?  For example, buying out Eriksson wouldn’t save us that much (relatively speaking) while buying out Virtanen would pretty much take care of his entire cap hit (perhaps since he’s on an RFA deal?  I’m not sure how these things work).

2) I would rather hold onto Schmidt but IF I were to move him, I’d move him for an Edler replacement.....and so I do like your Ekholm idea, but I can’t see Nashville agreeing to that.

Buy out cap hits are dependent on contract term, bonuses, salary structure and player age:

Beagle (has $3m x 1 year left)....buy out cap hit = $2.2m in 2021/22 and $0.4m in 2022/23.

Waive him next season (saves $1.125m) so his cap = $1.875m (better to waive than buy out)

Roussel (also has $3m x 1 year left)....buy out cap hit = $1.73m in 2021/22 and $0.63m in 2022/23.

Waive him next season (like Beagle saves $1.125m) so his cap = $1.875m (better to waive than buy out)

Virtanen saves a lot more in a buy out because he's younger than 26 and 

Virtanen (also has $2.55m x 1 year left)....buy out cap hit = $0.05m in 2021/22 and $0.5m in 2022/23.

(better to buy out than waive)

14 hours ago, WCE said:

To NJ Hughes

To Caps NYI 2021 

To Van Dillon

Buyout 

Beagle & Roussel 

Sign

Larsson 5yr/25 mil 5 per 

Forbort 1yr/1.5 mil

Miller/Horvat/Boeser

Pearson/Zacha/Podkolzin

Motte/MacEwen/Highmore

Ekholm/Larsson

Dillon/Myers

Forbort/Bowey

Demko

Dipetro

1. Zacha is definitely a conversation but I'd rather discuss Kevin Bahl then Jesper Bratt. and I'd make the pick rather then trade it.

9yh pick- Mason McTavish (hopefully)

15th pick- Sasha Pastujov (high risk/high reward)

2. Rumor had it at the TDL, Nashville was looking for a pretty big haul for ME, involving two prospects and a first rounder. This would seem to indicate, Schmidt's too old to be of interest to them. I , also, highly doubt they'd be interested in an underachieving problem child in JV. the sixth round pick is irrelevant. The asking price is simply too rich for a still developing team like ours.

3. As stated above; would rather make the pick then trade it.

4. Beags may be done and could finish his career on LTIR. Let Roussel play out his contract on the fourth line and move on..

NJ could offer a nice package for Quinton, if we had seen close to a full year of Rathbone already I would highly consider moving Hughes for a kings randsom but nothing less. Hoping Shaw can help develop and grow his defensive side of the game. But it is too early to make that move now with OJ and Rathbone being question marks as to what they will be in the NHL.

Need the Canuck GM to pay the piper and bring in a long term RHD partner for Hughes