Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

Sign Zach Bogosian to a 2 year x 1.5 mil per season contract to be our 3rd pair RD. Shutdown physical D, played 20 games in the playoffs two years ago for the Bolts when they won the Cup. Going to blame his lack of playoff success this year on the garbage organization he played for.   

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

How's his health? He's had quite the run of injuries during his career, including his last one against the Canucks where he crashed into the boards. Would be worried about that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

How's his health? He's had quite the run of injuries during his career, including his last one against the Canucks where he crashed into the boards. Would be worried about that.

Yeah thats true. Tho we have woo that could be called up till hes back or another cheap dman JB signs like chatfield. I think if we can make the most of our D this season on the cheaper side and have replacements next offseason when we will have money is the better move.

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Yeah thats true. Tho we have woo that could be called up till hes back or another cheap dman JB signs like chatfield. I think if we can make the most of our D this season on the cheaper side and have replacements next offseason when we will have money is the better move.

I think that there could be a shake up on the defense, but if there's not, I'd hope that Benning errs on the side of caution when it comes to players with lengthy injury histories. I'd like to see the defence have more physical players on it too. Not necessarily mean or ornery players, but ones who are defensively responsible and use their size to protect the puck, maintain possession, and clear their zone without it looking like a five alarm fire. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Never been a fan of Bogs.  Doesn't utilize his size as much as he should imo and he looked totally 'average' on the Laffs but then again almost everyone except Nylander and Spezza did too. 

 

His last contract had sizeable dollar/term and included NMC so I doubt he signs here for dirt cheap, short-term and no clauses. 

 

Hamonic really started round into form imo at the end of the season and you could tell he was figuring out how to support Huggy better, not to mention he showed he would step up at any time to back up a teammate - I say he's our main target for a UFA defenseman if he'll sign for the right dollar/term. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a better target for a 3rd pairing defenseman that Zack Bogosian would be former Canuck, Erik Gudbranson. He's probably aware that his days of cashing in on a contract are over, so price or term shouldn't be an issue there. Maybe $1M (if that) over a season with no trade protection.

 

He's not the best defenseman statistically, but he's also the type of d-man that benefits from a solid partner. And a solid defensive structure, which Brad Shaw will instill in the team.

 

Where he's most beneficial is when the physical play ramps up in the playoffs. He's not a player that really fears anyone else in the NHL, as proven by his manhandling of public enemy #1 Tom Wilson on more than one occasion. 

 

Again, for those slavishly foaming at the mouth at my suggestion, this would be a signing to shore up a third pairing role on the defense. 

  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Never been a fan of Bogs.  Doesn't utilize his size as much as he should imo and he looked totally 'average' on the Laffs but then again almost everyone except Nylander and Spezza did too. 

 

His last contract had sizeable dollar/term and included NMC so I doubt he signs here for dirt cheap, short-term and no clauses. 

 

Hamonic really started round into form imo at the end of the season and you could tell he was figuring out how to support Huggy better, not to mention he showed he would step up at any time to back up a teammate - I say he's our main target for a UFA defenseman if he'll sign for the right dollar/term. 

His last contract was 1 year for $1 million. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

His last contract was 1 year for $1 million. 

And that's probably the height of what he's expecting going forward.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And that's probably the height of what he's expecting going forward.

I figured 1.5 for the two year term, pretty low risk as I believe you can burry close to 1.5 million of cap if on taxi squad if that is still a thing moving forward. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

His last contract was 1 year for $1 million. 

Right, was more referring to his Buffalo contract which was bought-out.

 

I still don't see him signing for what is essentially one step/bracket above minimum salary - if he does, then good for that team. 

 

I'd still prefer Hamonic, I don't think we saw his best once during his time here - he's way better than he showed vs. Bogs who imo is exactly who we saw in the playoffs this season (totally average) and I think we could benefit from it if we resign him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think a better target for a 3rd pairing defenseman that Zack Bogosian would be former Canuck, Erik Gudbranson. He's probably aware that his days of cashing in on a contract are over, so price or term shouldn't be an issue there. Maybe $1M (if that) over a season with no trade protection.

 

He's not the best defenseman statistically, but he's also the type of d-man that benefits from a solid partner. And a solid defensive structure, which Brad Shaw will instill in the team.

 

Where he's most beneficial is when the physical play ramps up in the playoffs. He's not a player that really fears anyone else in the NHL, as proven by his manhandling of public enemy #1 Tom Wilson on more than one occasion. 

 

Again, for those slavishly foaming at the mouth at my suggestion, this would be a signing to shore up a third pairing role on the defense. 

A cheap big physical right handed UFA Defensive Dman is exactly what we need for our bottom pair. The four best options I can see is Luke Schenn, Erik Gudbranson, Jani Hakanpaa, or Zack Bogosain. Two have already played for us, and Jani might have many suitors if unsigned. Bogosian just seems like the best bet.

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

A cheap big physical right handed UFA Defensive Dman is exactly what we need for our bottom pair. The three best options I can see is Luke Schenn, Erik Gudbranson, Jani Hakanpaa, or Zack Bogosain. Two have already played for us, and Jani might have many suitors if unsigned. Bogosian just seems like the best bet.

Why is Bogosian the best bet? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bogosian always reminds me of Gudbranson and thus doesn't appeal much to me. Something about being big stay-at-home defensemen 3rd overall picks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why is Bogosian the best bet? 

I just dont think Gudbranson wants to come back here people were hatin' on him pretty hard at the end here. Schenn could have come back but chose elsewhere, and Jani would probably be too expensive. 

  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

I just dont think Gudbranson wants to come back here people were hatin' on him pretty hard at the end here. Schenn could have come back but chose elsewhere, and Jani would probably be too expensive. 

Fair enough. Good point. I do sometimes wonder if the overtly toxic media plays a part in player decisions to avoid the fishbowl.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

Oleksiak, Marc Stall, Savard, would all be better options.

Hughes, Edler, Juolevi, Rathbone, and Schmidt likely back next year and left handed. Savard would work but would cost probably 4+ million and coming off a pretty bad year. Was thinking more right handed cheap grizzled vet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...