Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

No no to Bogo. Not enough left there to help us and we need a better skater paired with Quinn. 

 

 

Hamonic is probably the best we can afford for Hughes until that Luongo and Eriksson money is freed up. Bogo would be for 6/7th Dman who can match up against physical teams and PK. Believe me the money is worth it if we never have to see Chatfield play another game. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Hamonic is probably the best we can afford for Hughes until that Luongo and Eriksson money is freed up. Bogo would be for 6/7th Dman who can match up against physical teams and PK. Believe me the money is worth it if we never have to see Chatfield play another game. 

good point, I'd forgotten about Chatfield already. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Sign Zach Bogosian to a 2 year x 1.5 mil per season contract to be our 3rd pair RD. Shutdown physical D, played 20 games in the playoffs two years ago for the Bolts when they won the Cup. Going to blame his lack of playoff success this year on the garbage organization he played for.   

I was thinking about this as an option for a big third pairing d-man.  Bogosian or Gudbranson or Schenn on a one year $1.0M per season contract.  I would love me a little Erik Gudbranson as a 6/7 d-man on a 1x1.0M AAV who would make sure no one took liberties on any of the talented Canucks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Pairings next year imo should be:

 

Schmidt - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic 

Edler - ?

Juolevi or Rathbone - ?

 

I would be ok trading Rathbone in a package for a potential top 4 RD, maybe Cal Foote out of TB. (He was extra value being expansion exempt)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The Pairings next year imo should be:

 

Schmidt - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic 

Edler - ?

Juolevi or Rathbone - ?

 

I would be ok trading Rathbone in a package for a potential top 4 RD, maybe Cal Foote out of TB. (He was extra value being expansion exempt)

If we want Cal Foote, simply offer sheet him for $2.2m (compensation 2nd round pick). TBL cannot match that. I guess they could match it and then trade him, but they won't be able to keep him. We could pair him with Hughes and let them develop together.

 

I am not ok with trading Rathbone. Check out his numbers when paired with Myers. A hell of a lot better than Myers paired with Juolevi. I think Rathbone-Myers has to be one of our pairings next season.

 

Rathbone Myers A.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not Bogosian AND Hamonic?

With our cap situation really tight for another year, we need as many cheap, decent players as we can get.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Hughes, Edler, Juolevi, Rathbone, and Schmidt likely back next year and left handed. Savard would work but would cost probably 4+ million and coming off a pretty bad year. Was thinking more right handed cheap grizzled vet. 

Is this David Savard? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

If we want Cal Foote, simply offer sheet him for $2.2m (compensation 2nd round pick). TBL cannot match that. I guess they could match it and then trade him, but they won't be able to keep him. We could pair him with Hughes and let them develop together.

 

I am not ok with trading Rathbone. Check out his numbers when paired with Myers. A hell of a lot better than Myers paired with Juolevi. I think Rathbone-Myers has to be one of our pairings next season.

 

Rathbone Myers A.JPG

Would love it if Benning could swing a deal to acquire Cal Foote. 

 

Hate going the offer sheet route. I’d rather both teams try to see if a deal can be struck. The lightning are going to lose a good player to Seattle. Might as well send a good player the Canucks way as to &^@# up the Kraken. Don’t want Seattle to be another Vegas. What is it with expansion teams just being good. Has the NHL not learned from the NBA when the Magic became so good so fast? 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Forsy said:

Why not Bogosian AND Hamonic?

With our cap situation really tight for another year, we need as many cheap, decent players as we can get.

How much would Bogosian cost? 

 

Hamonic probably wants some term and of course a raise. I can see 2-2.5 million for 2-3 years. Do the Canucks do that? 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Would love it if Benning could swing a deal to acquire Cal Foote. 

 

Hate going the offer sheet route. I’d rather both teams try to see if a deal can be struck. The lightning are going to lose a good player to Seattle. Might as well send a good player the Canucks way as to &^@# up the Kraken. Don’t want Seattle to be another Vegas. What is it with expansion teams just being good. Has the NHL not learned from the NBA when the Magic became so good so fast? 

We could do something creative to avoid the offer sheet...

 

To be cap compliant TBL are likely to shed a couple of their ~$5m contracts through expansion draft and trade (not to VAN).

 

However, even once they do that, they are going to fill their roster with minimum salary players. This includes their backup goalie.

 

They probably want to sign someone decent like Dreidger or Brossoit...

 

However, Driedger will have lots of suitors and can probably command $2m for 2 years at this stage.

 

We could create value for TBL by signing Dreidger for $2m x 2 years, and then trade him to TBL with 50% retained.

 

Then TBL signs Foote for say $1.2m.

 

We then do the following trade.

 

To TBL: Driedger ($2m for 2 years, 50% retained) + 2nd round pick

To VAN: Foote (signed at $1.2 for 2 years)

 

Net result for VAN is we get Foote for 2 years at the cost of a 2nd round pick with a total cap hit of $2.2m ($1.2m to Foote + $1m for Driedger retention)

 

Net result for TBL is they get a 2nd round pick (same compensation as if we offer sheet Foote for $2.2m) but they also get to sign Driedger as an excellent backup for only $1m for 2 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

A cheap big physical right handed UFA Defensive Dman is exactly what we need for our bottom pair. The four best options I can see is Luke Schenn, Erik Gudbranson, Jani Hakanpaa, or Zack Bogosain. Two have already played for us, and Jani might have many suitors if unsigned. Bogosian just seems like the best bet.

Which two? Gudbranson is the only former Canuck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Which two? Gudbranson is the only former Canuck.

And he sure as **** wasn't cheap.  Not in salary/cap right or the assets we gave up to acquire that stiff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

And he sure as **** wasn't cheap.  Not in salary/cap right or the assets we gave up to acquire that stiff.

True dat.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually like Bogasian, wasn't the problem  this year for his team watching the games i did see.   He's a big, tough, stay at home defender.   Tougher then Hamonic and meaner too.  Injuries derailed the "Doughty vs Bogasian" debates early on, but he also managed a decent career, anyone who's played a decade or more in the NHL is a solid player.    He'd made a good depth defender.    Manson is the guy in hoping JB can pry out of ANA but we could do worse then Bogs too. 

 

What our right side needs and what we can afford next year are two different things.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2021 at 5:27 AM, BigTramFan said:

We could do something creative to avoid the offer sheet...

 

To be cap compliant TBL are likely to shed a couple of their ~$5m contracts through expansion draft and trade (not to VAN).

 

However, even once they do that, they are going to fill their roster with minimum salary players. This includes their backup goalie.

 

They probably want to sign someone decent like Dreidger or Brossoit...

 

However, Driedger will have lots of suitors and can probably command $2m for 2 years at this stage.

 

We could create value for TBL by signing Dreidger for $2m x 2 years, and then trade him to TBL with 50% retained.

 

Then TBL signs Foote for say $1.2m.

 

We then do the following trade.

 

To TBL: Driedger ($2m for 2 years, 50% retained) + 2nd round pick

To VAN: Foote (signed at $1.2 for 2 years)

 

Net result for VAN is we get Foote for 2 years at the cost of a 2nd round pick with a total cap hit of $2.2m ($1.2m to Foote + $1m for Driedger retention)

 

Net result for TBL is they get a 2nd round pick (same compensation as if we offer sheet Foote for $2.2m) but they also get to sign Driedger as an excellent backup for only $1m for 2 years.

The moment we offer sheet anyone it's fair game for our up and comers too.   If we could make a trade like CAL did with Hamilton that's a different story, they agreed to avoid an offer sheet but basically did it behind closed doors and just paid the compensation via a trade.   Maybe something like that.   The entire league is waiting to see what happens on the ED and interested in their good young players, thing is TB is too - they need them to keep their teams cap balanced.   I highly doubt anyone but possibly Seattle is getting Cernak, Foote or whomever.   Instead TB will lose Palat to the ED, and bury some guys, and make one trade for Tyler Johnson as a cap dump.   One of these guys and or picks will likely go with that deal, but our team is in no position to go there.   Will be a rebuilding team like ANA, DET or maybe OTT that goes there.     Too bad we couldn't do it because Tyler Johnson could man our third C spot as a placeholder. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, IBatch said:

The moment we offer sheet anyone it's fair game for our up and comers too.   If we could make a trade like CAL did with Hamilton that's a different story, they agreed to avoid an offer sheet but basically did it behind closed doors and just paid the compensation via a trade.   Maybe something like that.   The entire league is waiting to see what happens on the ED and interested in their good young players, thing is TB is too - they need them to keep their teams cap balanced.   I highly doubt anyone but possibly Seattle is getting Cernak, Foote or whomever.   Instead TB will lose Palat to the ED, and bury some guys, and make one trade for Tyler Johnson as a cap dump.   One of these guys and or picks will likely go with that deal, but our team is in no position to go there.   Will be a rebuilding team like ANA, DET or maybe OTT that goes there.     Too bad we couldn't do it because Tyler Johnson could man our third C spot as a placeholder. 

I agree with all you said. There is a way to avoid your young stars getting offer sheets - sign them early and make sure you have the cap space to pay them adequately. TBL are going to low ball Cal Foote to about half of what he should earn because of their cap situation. I think that is unfair to the player and should be why offer sheets are used - to show the true market value of a player (note: Foote is not eligible for arbitration)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...