The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Petey and Quinn on 1 year 1 million dollar deals + monstrous 8 year deals afterwards?

4 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

[proposal] Petey and Quinn on 1 year 1 million dollar deals + monstrous 8 year deals afterwards?

This probably isn’t a realistic idea but what if Petey and Quinn were to

1) sign one year one million dollar deals right now 

2) sign monstrous 8 year deals next year at premium market value

Few things would be achieved with this:

1) Canucks can use the freed up Edler, Sutter, and Baertschi money to go after high impact UFA’s this season.

2) Virtanen buyout money = split evenly amongst Petey and Hughes, lol.

3) Next season - Holtby, Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Luongo cap penalty, and Split evenly amongst Petey and Quinn

So basically,

1) Canucks wouldn’t have to use sweeteners to clear cap

2) Petey and Quinn would get their monstrous 8 year deals even if its a year later

3) The Canucks field a more competitive team as early as this coming season

Could it work?

Petey 3 X 7 million ---  Comparable....Barzal N.Y.I  3 X 7 million---- 

Hughes 3 X 6.5 ---  

These deal will be done in next 7 -- 14 days

2 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

I know it’s unorthodox but here’s my take on this:   Assuming that a deal like this wouldn’t violate any cap circumvention rules, all parties walk out of this happy long term:

1) After “taking one for the team” for one year, Petey and Hughes received monstrous 8 year deals and premium money and live the lifestyle that they always wanted, have long term security, and play for a long term contender.

2) Ownership is happy because they get to field a competitive team as early as this coming season.

3) Management is happy because they solve their short term and long term cap problems + field a competitive team this season + don’t have to use any sweeteners to get rid of bad contracts.

Plan:

1) Sign Petey and Quinn to one year deals right now.

2) Sign Petey and Quinn (on the first day of free agency day? July 28) to monstrous 8 year deals (9 million AAV each?) that would kick in on July 1st 2022.

Why would you sign either players to monster deals in 1 yr? Sign them for 3 years and then negotiate 7 yr deals..

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

It would obviously suck short term for Petey and Hughes, but then they get their monstrous deals one year after AND get everything they want (long term security + life they’ve always imagined + no cap problems on Vancouver’s end which will ensure they play for a long term contender).

By contrast - if Petey and Quinn sign a 3-5 year bridge this season, that’s still 3-5 years where they’d be living below what they’d be worth on the open market.  

Take one for the team for one year + live the life you’ve always imagine in the 8 years following. 

You must be new to the workings of the NHL and the type of contracts that player agents try to secure for their elite level players/clients. 

4 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

This probably isn’t a realistic idea but what if Petey and Quinn were to

1) sign one year one million dollar deals right now 

2) sign monstrous 8 year deals next year at premium market value

Few things would be achieved with this:

1) Canucks can use the freed up Edler, Sutter, and Baertschi money to go after high impact UFA’s this season.

2) Virtanen buyout money = split evenly amongst Petey and Hughes, lol.

3) Next season - Holtby, Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Luongo cap penalty, and Split evenly amongst Petey and Quinn

So basically,

1) Canucks wouldn’t have to use sweeteners to clear cap

2) Petey and Quinn would get their monstrous 8 year deals even if its a year later

3) The Canucks field a more competitive team as early as this coming season

Could it work?

Just now, wildcam said:

Why would you sign either players to monster deals in 1 yr? Sign them for 3 years and then negotiate 7 yr deals..

You could definitely do that but the idea behind this is that.....

1) The Canucks can field a far more competitive team this coming season with more cap available.

2) Petey and Hughes get paid at market value a lot sooner (2nd year) as opposed to ‘taking one for the team’ on a 3 year bridge.  

21 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

You must be new to the workings of the NHL and the type of contracts that player agents try to secure for their elite level players/clients. 

I’m not new at all.  Just trying to think outside the box and figure out ways that all parties (players, ownership, management, fans, and agents) benefit.

Of course I realize that agents want to secure big contracts for their players.  All I’m suggesting is that Petey and Hughes “taking one for the team” on one year deals instead of three year bridge deals, and by the 2nd year, they can already start earning their 9.5-10 million AAV and what have you.  

This may also benefit agents because their clients will start earning massive money in their 2nd year as opposed to having to wait once the bridge expires.

In the short term (one year), Petey and Hughes get a shot of playing for a playoff team immediately since the Sutter, Baertschi, Edler, and Hamonic money can be spent on bringing in high ticket free agents.

Then, a year later, the Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Holtby, Luongo penalty, and Spooner money can be split evenly amongst Hughes and Petey in their 9.5-10 million dollar deals.  

Petey and Hughes earn their BIG money a lot sooner.   And as I showed to Provost, they would make up for the “1 year sacrifice by the end of the 3rd year (7*3 = 1+10+10)

Edited by Patel Bure

7 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Petey 3 X 7 million ---  Comparable....Barzal N.Y.I  3 X 7 million---- 

Hughes 3 X 6.5 ---  

These deal will be done in next 7 -- 14 days

J.P. Barry was on Donny and Dali and was talking about a short term deal for Pettersson (my guess: same as your call at 3 yrs/$7M cap hit, just like their (Barry/Brisson) client Matthew Barzal), and a longer term deal for Hughes (my guess: 5 yrs at $6.0M cap hit - comparable to another one of Barry/Brisson's client Cam Fowler whose second contract coming off of his ELC was 5 x $4.0M signed in 2013).

9 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

You’re probably right but why not think outside the box?

1) Today: Sign Petey and Quinn to 1*1 that will be applied towards 21-22.

2) On July 28th (or whenever we are eligible to sign players to contracts applying for 22-23), sign Petey and Hughes to 8 year deals worth 9.5-10 million AAV.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, the grinder said:

wtf      what high end PLAYER IN HIS PRIME IS GOING TO SIGN A MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT  ???? 

He's not on the same level, but there was Kevin Labanc with the Sharks. And that came back to bite him very hard.

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

OMG

If I was #40 and you offered me $1M I would demand a trade. I'd never step foot in Van again unless it was to beat the Canucks.

The player takes all the risk. I'd honestly throw a chair through your window and walk out. Come one man.

What if I told you that you’d be earning 9.5-10 million in the 8 years following that as part of the sacrifice?   (As opposed to a multiple year bridge deal where you’d be at 6.5-7)

1 hour ago, bigbadcanucks said:

J.P. Barry was on Donny and Dali and was talking about a short term deal for Pettersson (my guess: same as your call at 3 yrs/$7M cap hit, just like their (Barry/Brisson) client Matthew Barzal), and a longer term deal for Hughes (my guess: 5 yrs at $6.0M cap hit - comparable to another one of Barry/Brisson's client Cam Fowler whose second contract coming off of his ELC was 5 x $4.0M signed in 2013).

I would think Hughes would want 6.5 X 3 yrs..He should be the highest paid D man on Vancouver..

Fowler is not close to Hughes in points last 4 yrs   32 - 23 --29 --23 points -- Making 6.5 million

Hughes  53 --41 -- Minimum 6.5 X 3 yrs

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

What if I told you that you’d be earning 9.5-10 million in the 8 years following that as part of the sacrifice?   (As opposed to a multiple year bridge deal where you’d be at 6.5-7)

I'd tell you I don't trust you and you are full of $hit.

I'd also ask you what financial security are you providing in the event I break my neck?

I'd also tell you I'm never playing in Vancouver again so call me when you've got a trade lined up.

Edited by Chris12345

8 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

You’re probably right but why not think outside the box?

1) Today: Sign Petey and Quinn to 1*1 that will be applied towards 21-22.

Because neither is ever going to say yes to this.

Let's put it this way if you are really good as your profession and someone offers you a contract saying you will only earn about 1/10 of what you are worth for a year to get paid what you are worth the next year, without that being a guarantee. Would you say yes? Let's say you should be earning $50,000 a year and someone offers you $5,000 for a year. I think most of us probably would say no.