The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Petey and Quinn on 1 year 1 million dollar deals + monstrous 8 year deals afterwards?

13 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

It would obviously suck short term for Petey and Hughes, but then they get their monstrous deals one year after AND get everything they want (long term security + life they’ve always imagined + no cap problems on Vancouver’s end which will ensure they play for a long term contender).

By contrast - if Petey and Quinn sign a 3-5 year bridge this season, that’s still 3-5 years where they’d be living below what they’d be worth on the open market.  

Take one for the team for one year + live the life you’ve always imagine in the 8 years following. 

A few things wrong with this.  One what if they get a career ending injury?   Or a bad year, like folks already brought up.   And they are supposed to not earn max deals until they actually earn them, both have not done that yet although EP is closer then QHs to doing that.   The aren't supposed to get UFA market value until their are UFAs.   The open market isn't open to them yet, all RFAs are supposed to give better value to their teams then UFAs do.    So even if they'd agree to this, it's a hard pass to me, not worth one year of waiting for salary to go away on its own, just to end up with two new albatross anchor deals. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

You could definitely do that but the idea behind this is that.....

1) The Canucks can field a far more competitive team this coming season with more cap available.

2) Petey and Hughes get paid at market value a lot sooner (2nd year) as opposed to ‘taking one for the team’ on a 3 year bridge.  

Players taking bridge deals are banking on themselves, not "taking one for the team".   Best example of this was Subban.    Massively cashed in after one good and then one great season.   For sure didn't work out for the team(s) did it.    Neither player for me at least, has earned a massive bridge or long term contract.   But they are going to get paid regardless and be very rich young men soon enough.   6.5-7 x 6 to me is fair for EP,  5-.5.5 x 3 for QHs.    This could be a very long summer if EP gets offer sheeted or Barry is a d!ck about it like BB agent was (they wanted a lot more for a long term deal, so far apart that it didn't take JB long to spend the money elsewhere and the CDC almost imploded ... 7-8 x 8 was been thrown around.   Just like i've seen 8-10 on here for these kids.   Thankfully JB is not Dubas, or Chakya, and flat cap for five more years has been cautioned by Bettman.    JB would be wise to get EP done right away before offer sheets come in.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Unless I’m mistaken, it was after a number of years making good money on their previous contracts 

Nope it was all Selanne. If money wasnt an issue, then probably wouldve not wanted the Predators to sign him for big bucks the season after. They wanted to win the cup together as they were the best of friends in their time in Anaheim

• Cheers 1

So Pettersson, who made $3.775m this season with performance bonuses and Hughes, who made $1.6m with bonuses this year are going to take an incredible risky deal where they take substantial pay cuts down to $1m for a year for bigger contracts next year? That’s what you’re proposing?  Would you do that knowing that 1 bad hit or errant puck could end your career and any chance of earning another cent as a player? Would you like to rethink this approach? 

• Cheers 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/20/2021 at 7:55 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

It would require a level of trust on a handshake that doesn't exist anymore. 

What ever happened to the hand shake 

Whatever happened to a deal no one would break 

Whatever happened to integrity 

Mike Burkett 

• Vintage 1

On 6/19/2021 at 11:38 AM, Patel Bure said:

[proposal] Petey and Quinn on 1 year 1 million dollar deals + monstrous 8 year deals afterwards?

This probably isn’t a realistic idea but what if Petey and Quinn were to

1) sign one year one million dollar deals right now 

2) sign monstrous 8 year deals next year at premium market value

Few things would be achieved with this:

1) Canucks can use the freed up Edler, Sutter, and Baertschi money to go after high impact UFA’s this season.

2) Virtanen buyout money = split evenly amongst Petey and Hughes, lol.

3) Next season - Holtby, Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Luongo cap penalty, and Split evenly amongst Petey and Quinn

So basically,

1) Canucks wouldn’t have to use sweeteners to clear cap

2) Petey and Quinn would get their monstrous 8 year deals even if its a year later

3) The Canucks field a more competitive team as early as this coming season

Could it work?

Pettersson strikes me as a guy that wouldn’t sign a 10M offer sheet, but sign a 4M one year bridge JUST to help the team. Then he would go out and try to pot 50.

Needless to say we will lock him in North of 8-9 the next year. Atleast.

This is on the right track Patel. I could also see players doing this on a more consistent basis during the flat cap era.

”Betting on themselves” 

Edited by Johnny Torts
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Johnny Torts said:

Let’s not roll on the guy, this is the proposals section! 

There’s probably some kind of cap circumvention rule/law that would prevent something like this, but hell, look at how Tampa have basically cheated the system these past few years?   

What would stop Petey and Hughes from signing 1 million dollar deals tomorrow (to be applied for the 21-22 season), and then signing their monstrous 9-10 million dollars in a few weeks (to be applied for the 22-23 season).   

Petey and Hughes only have to “take one for the team” for one year, and then live the lives of their dreams a short year later.

Maybe in their contracts for this coming year, they can have some kind of LTIR rider that would treat both players extremely well (with massive compensation) if something were to happen to them.   I honestly don’t know......I’m just spitballing.  Thanks for the encouragement!

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

There’s probably some kind of cap circumvention rule/law that would prevent something like this, but hell, look at how Tampa have basically cheated the system these past few years?   

What would stop Petey and Hughes from signing 1 million dollar deals tomorrow (to be applied for the 21-22 season), and then signing their monstrous 9-10 million dollars in a few weeks (to be applied for the 22-23 season).   

Petey and Hughes only have to “take one for the team” for one year, and then live the lives of their dreams a short year later.

Maybe in their contracts for this coming year, they can have some kind of LTIR rider that would treat both players extremely well (with massive compensation) if something were to happen to them.   I honestly don’t know......I’m just spitballing.  Thanks for the encouragement!

A player can only sign an extension in the last year of their contract. Players in 1 year contracts must wait until January 1st to sign another extension. 

Benefits under the LTIR clause are based on what the player is owed on his current contract. It’s paid out either by the team or an insurance company (depending on how much of the contract is insured)   You wouldn’t be able to give them extra protection.   They would likely qualify for a partial pension and potentially disability if they suffered career ending injuries but it would never come close to making up the difference 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

A player can only sign an extension in the last year of their contract. Players in 1 year contracts must wait until January 1st to sign another extension. 

Benefits under the LTIR clause are based on what the player is owed on his current contract. It’s paid out either by the team or an insurance company (depending on how much of the contract is insured)   You wouldn’t be able to give them extra protection.   They would likely qualify for a partial pension and potentially disability if they suffered career ending injuries but it would never come close to making up the difference 

Thank you for the info.   There would obviously be some risk involved, but surely, Petey and Hughes (and JP Barry) would likely salivate at the lips thinking about the idea of signing 9-10 million dollar deals on January 1st 2022 (for the 22-23 season).  Would it be cap circumvention?  Probably in some form yes.  But given the shenanigans that Tampa has been pulling, can you honestly see the NHLPA or whoever having a problem with this?  

1 minute ago, Patel Bure said:

Thank you for the info.   There would obviously be some risk involved, but surely, Petey and Hughes (and JP Barry) would likely salivate at the lips thinking about the idea of signing 9-10 million dollar deals on January 1st 2022 (for the 22-23 season).  Would it be cap circumvention?  Probably in some form yes.  But given the shenanigans that Tampa has been pulling, can you honestly see the NHLPA or whoever having a problem with this?  

Bird in the hand.  No sane player agent would allow his high worth client to sign a deal line this.  Not only that but yes. I think both the league and the NHLPA would take issue with it.  The NHLPA’s job is to look out for the player.  A player putting himself in such a vulnerable position just to help his team skirt the salary cap wouldn’t be something they would look favourably on.  It would set a terrible precedent. I don’t feel like researching whether there is a specific rule forbidding it but just common sense alone says it’s not a realistic proposal in any way. 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Bird in the hand.  No sane player agent would allow his high worth client to sign a deal line this.  Not only that but yes. I think both the league and the NHLPA would take issue with it.  The NHLPA’s job is to look out for the player.  A player putting himself in such a vulnerable position just to help his team skirt the salary cap wouldn’t be something they would look favourably on.  It would set a terrible precedent. I don’t feel like researching whether there is a specific rule forbidding it but just common sense alone says it’s not a realistic proposal in any way. 

To your second sentence however, wouldn’t it actually work in favor of both the agent and player if they received their BIG money just one year later?  Especially if the player were to make up that money by the end of the 3rd year for example?

A: 6.67 + 6.67 + 6.67

B: 1 + 9.5 + 9.5

I do get what you’re saying, don’t get me wrong, but I do think there is a little more merit to this idea.

5 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

To your second sentence however, wouldn’t it actually work in favor of both the agent and player if they received their BIG money just one year later?  Especially if the player were to make up that money by the end of the 3rd year for example?

A: 6.67 + 6.67 + 6.67

B: 1 + 9.5 + 9.5

I do get what you’re saying, don’t get me wrong, but I do think there is a little more merit to this idea.

If there was merit to this idea dont you think some clever player agent would have done it by now?  The fact that no-one has should tell you all you need to know about the idea. Either it’s prohibited or agents and players think it’s a terrible idea, or a mix of both. 

• Cheers 1