The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van/Tampa

If seattle doesnt do a deal with tampa and they are stuck with johnson after the ED would we be interested in a trade like this.

Tampa receives

9OA

Woo

Rousell

Vancouver receives

Cernak

T Johnson(1 mill retained)

we fill 2 massive needs and 7 mill in salary with rousells contract going out while tampa clears some cap space but get a rhd back and a top 10 pick

Edited by Bertuzzipunch

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

If seattle doesnt do a deal with tampa and they are stuck with johnson after the ED would we be interested in a trade like this.

Tampa receives

9OA

Woo

Rousell

Vancouver receives

Cernak

T Johnson(1 mill retained)

we fill 2 massive needs and 7 mill in salary with rousells contract going out while tampa clears some cap space but get a rhd back and a top 10 pick

You're going to want to alter the title with [Proposal] at the beginning, as this looks like a trade occurred between the two teams.

Edited by PhillipBlunt

Tampa says yes to this deal every day of the week, and we shouldn't allow whomever is going to propose this to get to the phone!!  Why are we helping a team we're competing against eventually, to be better.  Cernak isn't worth the 9th overall.  And taking Johnson off of their hands and giving them cap room isn't costing us the 9th overall.  We need to leverage like we did with Vegas for Schmidt.  I don't deny that we could use Cernak, I don't deny that we could make a deal similar to what you're suggesting, but I'd sure as heck wouldn't tie the 9th overall into it.  There are some really good players in that range that project much higher than what we're receiving, so as to make the trade one I wouldn't do.  But I like where you're going with this...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Solinar said:

Tampa says yes to this deal every day of the week, and we shouldn't allow whomever is going to propose this to get to the phone!!  Why are we helping a team we're competing against eventually, to be better.  Cernak isn't worth the 9th overall.  And taking Johnson off of their hands and giving them cap room isn't costing us the 9th overall.  We need to leverage like we did with Vegas for Schmidt.  I don't deny that we could use Cernak, I don't deny that we could make a deal similar to what you're suggesting, but I'd sure as heck wouldn't tie the 9th overall into it.  There are some really good players in that range that project much higher than what we're receiving, so as to make the trade one I wouldn't do.  But I like where you're going with this...

Well im thinking how this helps us more than trying to help tampa lol. Having one of the best defensive defenseman in the league that just turned 24 is more important to us than what the 9OA can be. I mean obviously id rather send a second and who knows they might take it if its able to send johnson away. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Well im thinking how this helps us more than trying to help tampa lol. Having one of the best defensive defenseman in the league that just turned 24 is more important to us than what the 9OA can be. I mean obviously id rather send a second and who knows they might take it if its able to send johnson away. 

40OA for Cernak and Tyler Johnson?  That is tempting, isn’t it?  Or, do we keep our pick, and offer Doogie Howser Hamilton 8.5 times 7? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

How does it mortgage the team we still making 7 picks if we trade the pick.

You're giving away a top 10 pick, plus taking on a contract that Tampa, CAN'T move, even with waiving it. To trade Johnson, they would have to include at least a 2nd round pick and 1.5 - 2 million retention in a flat cap to move him.

You're giving up someone who should be at 9OA, an elite skill level, for a fairly solid D, plus you're giving up another top prospect in Jett Woo to a team who is going to be desperate (I don't use that term lightly) to move out dollars at the end of the season.

Tampa is 5 million over cap, with 19 guys signed for next season. They need to include their 1st pick to convince someone to take Johnson at this point.

Cernak on his own, is not worth a 1st round pick, much less a top 10.

Even if they were taking back LE as well, I wouldn't make that deal.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

You're giving away a top 10 pick, plus taking on a contract that Tampa, CAN'T move, even with waiving it. To trade Johnson, they would have to include at least a 2nd round pick and 1.5 - 2 million retention in a flat cap to move him.

You're giving up someone who should be at 9OA, an elite skill level, for a fairly solid D, plus you're giving up another top prospect in Jett Woo to a team who is going to be desperate (I don't use that term lightly) to move out dollars at the end of the season.

Tampa is 5 million over cap, with 19 guys signed for next season. They need to include their 1st pick to convince someone to take Johnson at this point.

Well good thing im not a GM then lol tho i think it would take a hell of a lot and a overpayment to get cernak out of tampa is my reasoning. Youre right about johnson so maybe it wouldnt take a 1st if were willing to help them out with johnson. Not sure

Edited by Bertuzzipunch

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Well good thing im not a GM then lol tho i think it would take a hell of a lot and a overpayment to get cernak out of tampa is my reasoning. Youre right about johnson so maybe it wouldnt take a 1st if were willing to help them out with johnson. Not sure

I'd rather do something where we do a trade with Buffalo for 9OA, ask them to take back LE with 2 - 3 million retained and we include a 3rd round pick next season as a thank-you for taking him.

Let Roussel prove himself in camp, if not, we are only losing another 400k in cap space by sending him to the minors as opposed to buying him out. He was a good, productive player for us before the knee injury. Let's see if he can get back to that with a full off season of training.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Three more years for Johnson at five mil per.  Buy out would go on for a long time, no? 

It would, but I think we can find better use for 5 million in space. I don't think he's a bad player, but at 5 million for 3 more years, Tampa is going to have a lot of trouble moving that without including a pretty good pick, or a later pick and retain 50%.

Just can't see it Alf, not in this market.

• Vintage 1

I'd have to wrap my head around this valuation but I do know that mobile physical defensive defesemen are way under rated can get you deep in the playoffs and help win a lot of hockey games.

The only think about this proposal is that I have a tendency to think that Woo may become a fixture on the Canucks long term. These big guys seem to take an extra year or two to develop and Woo is well on his way.

The young guys on the Canucks need to get better and play more and flirt with the playoffs before making these kinds of moves that will tip the scales. This team is still a couple years off from looking to these types of deals.

26 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'd rather do something where we do a trade with Buffalo for 9OA, ask them to take back LE with 2 - 3 million retained and we include a 3rd round pick next season as a thank-you for taking him.

Let Roussel prove himself in camp, if not, we are only losing another 400k in cap space by sending him to the minors as opposed to buying him out. He was a good, productive player for us before the knee injury. Let's see if he can get back to that with a full off season of training.

Meh rather have motte lockwood or highmore be the wingers on the 4th line. 

43 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Of course he is.  Where are you going to find a similar player in the draft who can partner Hughes for the next decade?  a 6'3" 230 pounder who can play 23 minutes a night and be on your top pairing?  There are no Cernak's in this draft.  He may not be worth a top 5 pick but he is definitely worth a first round pick any day of the week.

• Cheers 2