[Proposal] VAN/MIN

To VAN:
- Jordan Greenway

- 2021 First Round Pick (#21)

- 2021 First Round Pick (#25)

To MIN:

- Kole Lind (or Jonah Gadjovich)

- 2021 First Round Pick (#9)

My thought process here is that this year's draft is one of the most volatile there's ever been. There hasn't been enough time to scout out players and the sample size of actual scouting material to determine where players are at developmentally is just way too small. Both Minnesota and Vancouver are stuck wondering about who to protect, and two names that come up pretty often for both teams are Kole Lind and Jordan Greenway. Greenway would add a crucial element of size to the Canucks, and would be able to play up and down the lineup. Lind plays with pace and has the potential to be a top 6 forward for the Wild, whereas, with the Canucks, the right side of the future will likely be occupied by Boeser and Podkolzin. This is entirely hypothetical.

Additionally, the Wild attain a top 10 pick, though it is in, arguably, the worst year to have a top 10 pick. 

The Canucks acquire the 21st and 25th picks, and have a chance at selecting guys like Logan Stankoven (personal favorite), Zach Dean (ridiculously fast player), Corson Ceulemans (top 4 D potential) or Xavier Bourgault. 

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Minny is up the proverbial C/Kap-creek, & trying to finesse things with their Russian malcontent.

It's extra hard to predict their coming moves; But taking on some of their RFA's might well be possible.

They will lose Dumba ... that's 6 million right there to the ED which will help. 

To me this isn't a wise move.   Like the OP said this draft is all over the place, but not really at the top of the draft where we currently sit.   Rather get a stab at another player that has slipped, or just take Johnson or McTavish.   One of those guys OR one of Elklund, Clarke or Hughes or Evidsson or whomever will be there at 9. 

• Vintage 1

This draft is shaping out like it will have 9 similarly good players. 

I'd rather keep our #9 unless we get a young roster player that fills a position of need.

Just look at 2011 draft as a comparison. We could walk away with a very good player on an ELC contract to give the current core an extra push in a couple of years.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, khay said:

This draft is shaping out like it will have 9 similarly good players. 

That's a good point:

Power and Beniers seem to be on another tier, and the the next 9 can probably be in any order. I know McTavish is the Flavour of the Month right now, but I'm thinking more long term. Who knows, Edvinsson could develop into an excellent top pairing Dman. 

1. Eklund

2. Clarke

3. Wallstedt

4. McTavish

5. Guenther

6. Hughes

7. Lysell

8. Johnson

9. Edvinsson

2 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

To VAN:
- Jordan Greenway

- 2021 First Round Pick (#21)

- 2021 First Round Pick (#25)

To MIN:

- Kole Lind (or Jonah Gadjovich)

- 2021 First Round Pick (#9)

My thought process here is that this year's draft is one of the most volatile there's ever been. There hasn't been enough time to scout out players and the sample size of actual scouting material to determine where players are at developmentally is just way too small. Both Minnesota and Vancouver are stuck wondering about who to protect, and two names that come up pretty often for both teams are Kole Lind and Jordan Greenway. Greenway would add a crucial element of size to the Canucks, and would be able to play up and down the lineup. Lind plays with pace and has the potential to be a top 6 forward for the Wild, whereas, with the Canucks, the right side of the future will likely be occupied by Boeser and Podkolzin. This is entirely hypothetical.

Additionally, the Wild attain a top 10 pick, though it is in, arguably, the worst year to have a top 10 pick. 

The Canucks acquire the 21st and 25th picks, and have a chance at selecting guys like Logan Stankoven (personal favorite), Zach Dean (ridiculously fast player), Corson Ceulemans (top 4 D potential) or Xavier Bourgault. 

I don't mind this trade. Greenway could be a nice fit as he is a big framed guy that can skate decent. His stats show him as a playmaker vs a goal scorer but maybe we can transition him into a Todd Bertuzzi net front presence type of guy for us? Gaining 2 1sts as well in a toss up draft is great for us too, we might be able to get Svechkov and Ceulmans or another RHD, then go after another RD or BPA with our 2nd. 

Not sure Minnesota would give up that much for the 9th, bet they would give up that package for JT Miller tho if they view him as a C for them that is. People on here who do fancy stats say he is piss poor as a C overall if you look past his FO%

I think instead of a trade-down scenario, I'd rather see if the fallout of the Kaprizov situation (if he leaves) leads to Wild players wanting out if they're back to being a grinding team.
If that does transpire I'd rather spend our assets to get someone like Eriksson Ek (attain his rights) and see if we could buy low on him.  

Jordan Greenway is of course protected.  They don’t even have to ask a forward to waive their NMC to protect him.

Foligno’s agent told him to not sign an extension before expansion.  He still did with Guerin then saying they are not going to lose him in expansion.  It suggest they are going the 7 forward route.  They even signed Hartman.

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

I think instead of a trade-down scenario, I'd rather see if the fallout of the Kaprizov situation (if he leaves) leads to Wild players wanting out if they're back to being a grinding team.
If that does transpire I'd rather spend our assets to get someone like Eriksson Ek (attain his rights) and see if we could buy low on him.  

There’s no Kaprizov fallout. They are disagreeing on term not about him wanting out.  No different than in any negotiation with top RFAs. 

There is not a chance that Eriksson Ek gets traded.  They got plenty of calls on him and all were turned down.  Russo affirms that they wouldn’t even trade him in an Eichel trade - they see him as that valuable.  He’s turning into a future Selke contender.

Btw the Wild lines don't have the same definition.  Each play to their strengths.  Ek’s line is a grinding line.

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

That's a good point:

Power and Beniers seem to be on another tier, and the the next 9 can probably be in any order. I know McTavish is the Flavour of the Month right now, but I'm thinking more long term. Who knows, Edvinsson could develop into an excellent top pairing Dman. 

1. Eklund

2. Clarke

3. Wallstedt

4. McTavish

5. Guenther

6. Hughes

7. Lysell

8. Johnson

9. Edvinsson

THN has Edvinsson as their second best pick.    Some folks are very high on him. Nice thing is there is Power, then a slight step down right to ten. 

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

THN has Edvinsson as their second best pick.    Some folks are very high on him. Nice thing is there is Power, then a slight step down right to ten. 

I don't think you can justifiably be all too high on anyone in this year's draft*, especially with a good majority of the draft-eligible players playing less than half a season (if any hockey at all). I think there will be a lot of really good players available in the late first round and beyond that never got a good look for the top 10 simply because they didn't play enough. 

*(Writers and scouchers can justifiably be high on other stuff though)

reallyhigh

20 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

I don't mind this trade. Greenway could be a nice fit as he is a big framed guy that can skate decent. His stats show him as a playmaker vs a goal scorer but maybe we can transition him into a Todd Bertuzzi net front presence type of guy for us? Gaining 2 1sts as well in a toss up draft is great for us too, we might be able to get Svechkov and Ceulmans or another RHD, then go after another RD or BPA with our 2nd. 

Not sure Minnesota would give up that much for the 9th, bet they would give up that package for JT Miller tho if they view him as a C for them that is. People on here who do fancy stats say he is piss poor as a C overall if you look past his FO%

The Wild are still in a retool/semi-rebuild.  Guerin has already affirmed he isn't looking to sell the farm to get a C because they have wingers that can drive offence.  

Also doubt they would target Miller as a C - his age and 2 years to free agency + his advanced stats apparently show that he struggles defensively at that position and for the Wild it's a priority.  The Wild use analytics as part of their evaluation process.  It also wouldn't work cap wise with their priority being their top RFAs.  

Edited by mll

I want Greenway, but the cost will be a 1st rounder straight for him, bare minimum.
He's a big playmaking power forward that put up great numbers and is on a contract priced at half his production. 

And I'd make the deal - 1st for him. No question.