The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Van/Ott

That seems like an easy no for Ottawa.  Melnyk was expecting them to make the playoffs this season.  They are out of their rebuild and doubtful they would be looking to add dead weight contracts. 

Not the best deal for Vancouver either.  Benning was apparently so relieved to not drop past 9 because he feels there's a drop off after that.

Dadonov has an additional year to his contract and is not really in the age group to be part of the Canucks' contender window.  It takes away a spot to bring in a player who could be.  He is 32 and only had 20 points in 55 games. 

Edited by mll

This IS an interesting idea, that prob needs twerkin' & tweakin'.

Is OTT committed to Colin White? I think he's a slight AAV overpay, & when you factor in the amount of talented kids they'll have to sign soon, I think they might deem him expendable.

Something like:

Van: LouiE, Lind, 9th OA

OTT: White, 10th OA

Alright lemme switch it up just a little Would you be open to 

Vancouver receives:

Chris Tierney

10OA

Ottawa receives:

Loui Erikkson

9OA

why the canucks do it. We get a 3C on a 1 year deal at 3.5 mill. This is a player ottawa is trying to get away from but still can be serviceable for us and we can get away from him if he doesnt pan out after the season. Ottawa would have to pay loui only 3 mill while we pay just 500k more but at least hes actually playing for us and ottawa can take his 6 mill cap for one year but would open up 2.5 mill for us in cap space. Is it worth dropping from 9 to 10 get a 3C and adding 2.5 in cap space.

2 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Alright lemme switch it up just a little Would you be open to 

Vancouver receives:

Chris Tierney

10OA

Ottawa receives:

Loui Erikkson

9OA

why the canucks do it. We get a 3C on a 1 year deal at 3.5 mill. This is a player ottawa is trying to get away from but still can be serviceable for us and we can get away from him if he doesnt pan out after the season. Ottawa would have to pay loui only 3 mill while we pay just 500k more but at least hes actually playing for us and ottawa can take his 6 mill cap for one year but would open up 2.5 mill for us in cap space. Is it worth dropping from 9 to 10 get a 3C and adding 2.5 in cap space.

Its worth it for the Canucks, not sure if Ottawa likes it as much.

5 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Its worth it for the Canucks, not sure if Ottawa likes it as much.

Might not be worth it for Vancouver either.  Benning says their window will truly open in 2 years.  He talks of a drop-off after pick 9.  Tierney is 27 and a UFA in a year.  Why risk losing a better player in the draft for someone who might not stick around and be part of the contending window. 

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Might not be worth it for Vancouver either.  Benning says their window will truly open in 2 years.  He talks of a drop-off after pick 9.  Tierney is 27 and a UFA in a year.  Why risk losing a better player in the draft for someone who might not stick around and be part of the contending window. 

Well it depends, is it really that big of a risk? I mean jim could literally wait till his pick in the draft and if he likes 2 guys at that spot he could do the trade. Instead of getting absolutely nothing again outta lou because he cant why not have a guy that can just for a year? Opens up 3.5 mill if he stinks. Seems like win win

30 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Well it depends, is it really that big of a risk? I mean jim could literally wait till his pick in the draft and if he likes 2 guys at that spot he could do the trade. Instead of getting absolutely nothing again outta lou because he cant why not have a guy that can just for a year? Opens up 3.5 mill if he stinks. Seems like win win

Ottawa probably making the same calculation.  If they know they can get the player they want at 10 no need to leapfrog Vancouver and be stuck with Eriksson.  

15 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Stuck? They save half a million for a guy they dont even want anymore. 

And they add LE who likely won't even play for them ... I really don't know why Ottawa bothers with this...

If we're doing a deal with Ottawa, I think I'd rather go after Artem Zub. 25, 6'2" 200lbs, good in his own zone, plays physical, can chip in a little offensively as well. 2 years @ $2.5m. Ottawa has next to nothing on the left side after Chabot, so maybe we move Schmidt for Zub+? Addresses our right side, gives us a bit of cap to upgrade 3C as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

If we're doing a deal with Ottawa, I think I'd rather go after Artem Zub. 25, 6'2" 200lbs, good in his own zone, plays physical, can chip in a little offensively as well. 2 years @ $2.5m. Ottawa has next to nothing on the left side after Chabot, so maybe we move Schmidt for Zub+? Addresses our right side, gives us a bit of cap to upgrade 3C as well.

Yeah zub and tiereny would be very good adds. Would like a package for both.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Yeah zub and tiereny would be very good adds. Would like a package for both.

we need to stop thinking about Ottawa as a bad team looking to shed their good players, tho. I think they proved enough this season that they would be looking to add not subtract from their better players. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

10 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Cause they move up in the draft? Is that nothing these days?

What do the Senators gain from moving up 1 spot?  Instead of a guy like McTavish, they might get a shot at Johnson?  Would that make a difference for the Sens?  They could probably just trade Tierney for something else and save cap and money altogether rather than take on LE and only move up one spot lol

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we need to stop thinking about Ottawa as a bad team looking to shed their good players, tho. I think they proved enough this season that they would be looking to add not subtract from their better players. 

Everyone in ottawa knows tierney is on his way out tho.