The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Van/Ott

13 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

If we could get a trade done without using our 9OA that would be pretty great. Owner is a cheapskate tho so dunno if he would wanna pay schmidts deal and who knows if nate would wanna go to ottawa but would love to work something out if we could. 

Yeah nah. Schmidt says no to moving to OTT for sure.

Juolevi could be an asset that interests OTT though. As mentioned, their LHD is very sparse and at 23 Juolevi fits the age of their core. They have a spare protection slot for a Dman too.

They have a plethora of forwards and forward prospects, so not much point in sending them any forwards.

In a trade before the Seattle ED but after Eriksson's $1m signing bonus is paid:

To OTT: Juolevi + Eriksson + 2021 3rd round pick + 2021 6th round pick

To VAN: Tierney

OTT signs Juolevi for about $1m, and buys out Eriksson's remaining $3m of salary (and so pays him just $1m x 2 years of real money).

Potential VAN roster for next season, should be $1-2m below cap limit:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Goodrow Tierney Podkolzin

Highmore Beagle Motte

(Graovac)

Oleksiak Schmidt

Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone Myers

(Benn)

Demko (Holtby)

(Roussel waived, Virtanen buy out)

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Juolevi could be an asset that interests OTT though. As mentioned, their LHD is very sparse and at 23 Juolevi fits the age of their core. They have a spare protection slot for a Dman too.

They have a plethora of forwards and forward prospects, so not much point in sending them any forwards.

In a trade before the Seattle ED but after Eriksson's $1m signing bonus is paid:

OTT signs Juolevi for about $1m, and buys out Eriksson's remaining $3m of salary (and so pays him just $1m x 2 years of real money).

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Highmore Beagle Motte

(Graovac)

Oleksiak Schmidt

Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone Myers

(Benn)

Demko (Holtby)

Well we cant be trading jouveli away or we will be in ottawas spot with only 2 LHD signed. I dont think we would need to give that much up for tiereny.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Well we cant be trading jouveli away or we will be in ottawas spot with only 2 LHD signed. I dont think we would need to give that much up for tiereny.

It's also getting rid of Eriksson as part of the deal that would likely cost that much. I see Juolevi as a 7th Dman next season, which means we already need to find a guy to partner Schmidt and log heavy minutes. Finding a replacement 7th Dman for Juolevi should be relatively easy.

26 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

It's also getting rid of Eriksson as part of the deal that would likely cost that much. I see Juolevi as a 7th Dman next season, which means we already need to find a guy to partner Schmidt and log heavy minutes. Finding a replacement 7th Dman for Juolevi should be relatively easy.

If he is only a D7 why would Ottawa consider him enough to dump Eriksson.   Melnyk was already hoping for their team to make the playoffs last off-season.  That's why Dorion got the green light to give Murray that contract, sign Dadonov, trade picks to get other players.  

An Eriksson buyout is 2M in real cash assuming Vancouver pays the bonus before the trade.  Tierney is owed 4.2M in salary for a 3.5M cap hit.  They seem better off to trade Tierney at 50% - pretty much the same cost and there should be interest at 1.75M to get a better return. 

26 minutes ago, mll said:

If he is only a D7 why would Ottawa consider him enough to dump Eriksson.   Melnyk was already hoping for their team to make the playoffs last off-season.  That's why Dorion got the green light to give Murray that contract, sign Dadonov, trade picks to get other players.  

An Eriksson buyout is 2M in real cash assuming Vancouver pays the bonus before the trade.  Tierney is owed 4.2M in salary for a 3.5M cap hit.  They seem better off to trade Tierney at 50% - pretty much the same cost and there should be interest at 1.75M to get a better return. 

Because Juolevi would be a top 4 D on the OTT roster.

45 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Because Juolevi would be a top 4 D on the OTT roster.

They too are looking to build a contender. 

If he has the potential to be a top-4 D - the Canucks should keep him.  Benning talks of the contending window to really open up in 2 seasons.  If he projects to be no more than a D7 than Ottawa are better off finding that top-4D - using Juolevi temporarily in that spot won't turn them into a contender.

1 hour ago, mll said:

They too are looking to build a contender. 

If he has the potential to be a top-4 D - the Canucks should keep him.  Benning talks of the contending window to really open up in 2 seasons.  If he projects to be no more than a D7 than Ottawa are better off finding that top-4D - using Juolevi temporarily in that spot won't turn them into a contender.

I didn't say Juolevi projects to be a D7, I said if we replace Edler with a top pairing LD then, in my opinion, Juolevi would be our 7th Dman next season. This is because I would rank him behind the new LD, Hughes and Rathbone (and he isn't going to play on the right so he doesn't make the top 6D).

That doesn't mean Juolevi can't become a top 4 D in the future (and so could a player picked in the 3rd round and the 6th round). Those chances would be for OTT to take on finding the right players for their team.

Just because JB says we should be contending in 2 seasons it doesn't mean we can't start improving our roster now. It also doesn't mean that we should hold onto every player that might turn into something.

7 hours ago, 131313 said:

From a hockey ops viewpoint I agree with you, but they have an owner who has shown no indication of being willing to spend any money to make them a contender. I expect they remain a "NHL farm team" for the wealthier markets.

Nah, they spent to the cap for years before the rebuild, no reason to think they won't again once it's all done.   And at least they are smart enough to keep cap space in the rear pocket for when they might need it.   Melnyk is a lot of things, but he has spent to the cap before and says he will do it again soon. Ottawa Sun. 

19 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

If we could get a trade done without using our 9OA that would be pretty great. Owner is a cheapskate tho so dunno if he would wanna pay schmidts deal and who knows if nate would wanna go to ottawa but would love to work something out if we could. 

Melnyk ... is a strange cat and has done some weird things, but the guy has donated 10s of millions over the years to different things mostly in the Ottawa area and is rich as f!ck still.    Maybe not by other owners standards, but he's the sole owner of the Sens and still a billionaire.  22 richest owner, ahead of Leonosis of the WSH capitals.   He's said several times he expects a quick rebuild and will spend to the cap once it's over .... just food for thought.   He's also threatened to move the team (sell it) if they can't get a new arena deal ... and blamed the fans for not coming to games in the same dialogue ... and asked fans for a new liver.    Gets a bad rap for this for sure.  Now that he's sold the majority  of his stock and essentially been bumped out of his empire, the Sens is his primary business.    Poor guy lol.    Drama caused the rebuild ... imagine a team with Stone and Zinbanejad, Hoffman, Chabot, Pageua, and EK still on it.   Wouldn't be so bad i'm guessing. 

9 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Highmore Beagle Motte

(Graovac)

Oleksiak Schmidt

Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone Myers

(Benn)

Demko (Holtby)

My ideal team would look like this for next season: 

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson

Hoglander-Granlund-Podkolzin

Motte-Lind-MacEwen

Hughes-Larsson

Rathbone-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holtby

-Buyout Virtanen

-Roussel moved with a sweetener (not a 1st)

-Beagle LTIR

-Bye to Hamonic, Edler, Sutter, Baertschi.

Edited by Patel Bure

3 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Nobody will take Eriksson unless a first is tied to it . Waive him or retire him and move him into management LOL, complete the Line of Sedin's and Eriksson management group. 

Agreed.  I would actually keep Eriksson here because of that and just play him with Pearson and Horvat.  That line was pretty good for us in 2019-2020.

Move Roussel and Beagle (if not LTIR) with sweeteners in independent deals instead.

2 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson

Motte-Lind-MacEwen

Hughes-Larsson

Rathbone-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holtby

-Buyout Virtanen

-Beagle LTIR

With that roster you can probably afford not to trade Roussel and keep your sweetener. Just waive him and you will likely still be under the cap limit. Another bottom 10 finish for the Canucks though I would say.

Also if we are signing Granlund (age 29, 1.6 pts/60, FO 51%) for say $4.5m for 4 years as our 3C - why not instead trade for Tyler Johnson (age 30, 1.8pts/60, FO 54%) for $5m x 3 years. We could probably get TBL's 2022 1st round pick thrown in. Turn that 1st round pick into Mason Appleton.

Buy out Eriksson because it costs less in actual cash

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Appleton

Hoglander-Johnson-Podkolzin

Motte-Lind-MacEwen

Hughes-Larsson

Rathbone-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holtby

Edited by BigTramFan

Absolutely nobody wants or is willing to take Loui and his contract on, unless we are taking a terrible contract in return. Don't get me wrong, that's a one sided trade for us but would never happen. A player as overpaid and underperforming as that is untradeable - he's a buyout candidate not a trade piece. That being said, Tierney would be a nice addition.

21 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

With that roster you can probably afford not to trade Roussel and keep your sweetener. Just waive him and you will likely still be under the cap limit. Another bottom 10 finish for the Canucks though I would say.

Also if we are signing Granlund (age 29, 1.6 pts/60, FO 51%) for say $4.5m for 4 years as our 3C - why not instead trade for Tyler Johnson (age 30, 1.8pts/60, FO 54%) for $5m x 3 years. We could probably get TBL's 2022 1st round pick thrown in. Turn that 1st round pick into Mason Appleton.

Buy out Eriksson because it costs less in actual cash

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Appleton

Hoglander-Johnson-Podkolzin

Motte-Lind-MacEwen

Hughes-Larsson

Rathbone-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holtby

Appleton would be a very nice addition. 

On 6/23/2021 at 9:27 AM, Patel Bure said:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson

Motte-Lind-MacEwen

Hughes-Larsson

Rathbone-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holtby

-Buyout Virtanen

-Beagle LTIR

I thought Hamonic played well for us...I wouldn't mind seeing him back for d depth for the right price. 

On 6/22/2021 at 11:11 AM, Bertuzzipunch said:

Pfft i like the looks of our team a lot more than ottawas

Well yeah, we've been rebuilding longer than they have (not a ton longer, but longer none the less). They were a 44 win team 2016-2017 and have wholesaled the team since then to start their rebuild. Comparatively, the Canucks have tried to stay somewhat competitive while rebuilding it seems, thus stretching the rebuild out over 7 + years. But I do 100% like our team better, more young talent although Chabot, Stutzle, Tkachuk, Batherson are nice young players. 

2 hours ago, CJ44 said:

I thought Hamonic played well for us...I wouldn't mind seeing him back for d depth for the right price. 

I liked Hamonic as well but I have two issues with him.

1) His age and style.  He’s 30 and also plays a fairly physically demanding game.  Guys like him tend to fall off a Cliff fairly drastically.  It’s also why I’m not keen on signing David Savard.

2) Canucks need a top “defensive defenseman” that can take on the toughest match ups.  Edler used to be that guy but is no longer than guy due to age.  Hamonic is a good 2nd pairing option but doesn’t fulfill this requirement either.  Hence, why I prefer that we go all in on Adam Larsson.