The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Poll Pete Offersheet

EP offersheet  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So my question is if...... What if it happened?

Even if we pay to move contracts and use buyouts paying the price "next year" would be incredibly costly.  Can JB match and how... at what cost? Is the cost too great, does the cost make the compensation worth it? 

5 minutes ago, hammertime said:

So my question is if...... What if it happened?

Even if we pay to move contracts and use buyouts paying the price "next year" would be incredibly costly.  Can JB match and how... at what cost? Is the cost too great, does the cost make the compensation worth it? 

We would need to know how many years or the term of the offer sheet. For example if that offer is for seven years it moves the compensation up to 4 firsts.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

The underlying question here is whether Jim Benning wants a job next year or not. If he wants a job, the Canucks would match it. If he wants to hang out with the jobless #firebenning guys outside the rink, he'll let Pettersson walk.

Those guys outside the rink are actually working full time at the car wash down the block.  So this statement isn't totally accurate to be honest...  ^_^

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

We would need to know how many years or the term of the offer sheet. For example if that offer is for seven years it moves the compensation up to 4 firsts.

sure say 6 years then. 2x1sts 1x2nd 1x3rd it could be 3 years or whatever how do you match "next year" and does the cost of matching force you to take the compensation?

Edited by hammertime

8 minutes ago, hammertime said:

sure say 6 years then. 2x1sts 1x2nd 1x3rd it could be 3 years or whatever how do you match "next year" and does the cost of matching force you to take the compensation?

First I’ll say it’s highly unlikely to happen but for the purposes of your proposal - at 6 years I match, at 7 I let him walk. Two reasons for letting him walk at 7 are the 4 firsts to maximize the cost to the team that makes the offer sheet and secondly I’m not overly pleased that he signed the offer sheet. Of course he has every right to but I don’t want the best player on my team to be a guy who wants to extract every last dollar. I’ll take a MacKinnon over a Mathews every time.

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So which team is going to offer sheet Petey?  Who has the cap space?  No Buffalo isn't going to offer sheet anybody and neither is Ottawa...

Also aside from cap space there are 8 teams that can’t without making trades to re-acquire their own draft picks

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I’ll take a MacKinnon

THere are several on here that will argue that MacKinnon has not "taken less", at least to this point.

That said, I'd rather a MacKinnon over Mathews anyway. :)

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 firsts

1 2nd

1 third.

Ok but roughly where in the draft are those picks likely to be?

2 31 st player over all?     No thanks

2 top 4 or 5?                     Maybe

Those would end up being lotto eligible and perhaps we snag first over all and get  Conner Bedard.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, gurn said:

2 firsts

1 2nd

1 third.

Ok but roughly where in the draft are those picks likely to be?

2 31 st player over all?     No thanks

2 top 4 or 5?                     Maybe

Those would end up being lotto eligible and perhaps we snag first over all and get  Conner Bedard.

I highly doubt any team that thought they might be lotto elligable would make the offer but if they did and they were.......