The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Value Of] Doug Hamilton

Welcome to CDC DelC. Good question. Personally I think the Canucks don't have the cap space next season to pursue Hamilton, but perhaps you would like to suggest some ways the Canucks could trade and make moves to clear the space for Hamilton...that might help feed the discussion on your thread. Cheers.

• Cheers 1

Lets say the contract is 8 years at 8 million per for arguments sake.

Look at the OEL trade thread where some want to trade the 9th OA pick to unload Eriksson and take back OEL.

I would rather dump Schmidt for a pick or entice Seattle to take him, use a non essential prospect and/or mid round pick to dump a guy like Roussel or Beagle, and sign Hamilton than make the above trade all day, every day.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Look at the OEL trade thread where some want to trade the 9th OA pick to unload Eriksson and take back OEL.

I would rather dump Schmidt for a pick or entice Seattle to take him, use a non essential prospect and/or mid round pick to dump a guy like Roussel or Beagle, and sign Hamilton than make the above trade all day, every day.

Yes that would work.   Or even trade Schmidt to CAR who will be looking for a Hamilton replacement.    My preference of Schmidt/Myers is to keep Myers, shorter contract, seems to have settled in better - and like what i've seen of him when it matters the most in the post season.   Know it is probably a pipe dream, but it's a nice one.   Don't care that he's not a bully, he still has size and skill and all it takes is cap space.   2 million more is worth every cent to split your right side.    If we are also lucky enough to trade up say two spots and draft Clarke we'd be in gravy during this groups window. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes that would work.   Or even trade Schmidt to CAR who will be looking for a Hamilton replacement.    My preference of Schmidt/Myers is to keep Myers, shorter contract, seems to have settled in better - and like what i've seen of him when it matters the most in the post season.   Know it is probably a pipe dream, but it's a nice one.   Don't care that he's not a bully, he still has size and skill and all it takes is cap space.   2 million more is worth every cent to split your right side.    If we are also lucky enough to trade up say two spots and draft Clarke we'd be in gravy during this groups window. 

If the Canes would take Schmidt for the rights to Doogie Howser Hamilton I see that as a win for us.  If we can sign Hamilton that’s great.  If we can’t then we have the cap space.  

• Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

We do not need him. Our D is going to be just fine with the new D coach and practice and exhibition games. We need a 3c and 4c the most.

I don't know about really needing a 4C, this season at least. I'm going on the assumption that Beagle will return to the lineup, and he's a fine 4C who wins draws and can PK. Overpaid, yes, but it' not like he can't play where we need him to. I've liked Graovac's play in the limited time he's played as well, and would like to see if he can develop in that role if Beagle's out for a bit next season.

3C, absolutely need one, and though I've seen it suggested, I'm not sure bringing Sutter back is the solution, even at league min. If we move some cap out, I'd much rather spend a portion of it on a player like Wennberg in free agency, save the rest for mid season upgrades, or if a good trade opportunity comes along for a Pesce/Cernak type D at a comparable cap hit.

As for RD, it doesn't seem like there's much value after Hamilton in free agency this year, (Larsson?) and with the hiring of Brad Shaw, I'd like to see what kind of changes he can bring to the defensive scheme before we go out and spend big on a player like Hamilton. Would also like to see what Woo can bring to the lineup as well. Parayko is also available as a UFA next offseason, when we'll have $12m in 3 players off the books, as well as the Lu recapture penalty.

Edited by Chickenspear
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

I don't know about really needing a 4C, this season at least. I'm going on the assumption that Beagle will return to the lineup, and he's a fine 4C who wins draws and can PK. Overpaid, yes, but it' not like he can't play where we need him to. I've liked Graovac's play in the limited time he's played as well, and would like to see if he can develop in that role if Beagle's out for a bit next season.

3C, absolutely need one, and though I've seen it suggested, I'm not sure bringing Sutter back is the solution, even at league min. If we move some cap out, I'd much rather spend a portion of it on a player like Wennberg in free agency, save the rest for mid season upgrades, or if a good trade opportunity comes along for a Pesce/Cernak type D at a comparable cap hit.

As for RD, it doesn't seem like there's much value after Hamilton in free agency this year, (Larsson?) and with the hiring of Brad Shaw, I'd like to see what kind of changes he can bring to the defensive scheme before we go out and spend big on a player like Hamilton. Would also like to see what Woo can bring to the lineup as well. Parayko is also available as a UFA next offseason, when we'll have $12m in 3 players off the books, as well as the Lu recapture penalty.

From what I have read on the board, we can expect that he will miss all of this coming season and some have even speculated that he is done. We will obviously see what the truth is soon.

Shaw's track record has been very good. There will be some improvement. I am a believer that bubble Canucks were a better representation of the teams ability rather than this past season.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, FaninMex said:

From what I have read on the board, we can expect that he will miss all of this coming season and some have even speculated that he is done. We will obviously see what the truth is soon.

Shaw's track record has been very good. There will be some improvement. I am a believer that bubble Canucks were a better representation of the teams ability rather than this past season.

While there's been speculation in the media about Beags missing the entire season/career done, at season's end, Dhaliwal mentioned the Canucks are anticipating him coming back at some point next season. The league's released list of injury exempt player for the expansion draft also doesn't have him listed. I think it's better to err on the side of caution when it comes to the cap situation when we're dealing with LTIR uncertainty.

But yes, we'll have to wait and see

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

While there's been speculation in the media about Beags missing the entire season/career done, at season's end, Dhaliwal mentioned the Canucks are anticipating him coming back at some point next season. The league's released list of injury exempt player for the expansion draft also doesn't have him listed. I think it's better to err on the side of caution when it comes to the cap situation when we're dealing with LTIR uncertainty.

But yes, we'll have to wait and see

thanks. I missed what Dhallwal said.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, FaninMex said:

That's what i'm mostly interested in before throwing the baby out with the bath water by starting to do drastic things (to me that's Miller, Horvat and BB, as in a re-set like COL did with Duchene and Barrie).   For sure JB or whomever needs to make a trade at some point or manage the cap to a degree where he can plug holes.   For all the TT love, JB and management have a lot of faith in our RW depth as it is...BB, Hogs, Podz and JV - anyway your slice it your getting two plus of these guys for the same cap hit.    See one of them as a target for trading for a stud RHD if we can't manage something soon, or trading one to make the cap space to sign one.   

Im fine with another very tame off season.   JB made his bed the past 3-4 years and needs to follow through.    If a deal like Schmidt or Miller comes available then maybe take it, otherwise hang tight.    Thing is the team actually needs to make the playoffs to find out where we sit.     Even if we don't do anything but sign our guys that's fine by me.  Better then an OEL trade lol.   Manson in ANA, Reinhardt in BUFF are both interesting targets.    

Edit:  Back to re-set COL style.   The team has this and up until the following ones TDL to prove they can do it.   Otherwise it may be time to do exactly that.  As in trade two of Miller, BB and Horvat. 

Edited by IBatch

I'm a far bigger fan of going after Dougie Hamilton on a 7x9 deal than 6x8.25 on OEL or similar for Seth jones.  

-We would be able to trade Schmidt for quality assets rather than give up assets to obtain OEL/Jones

or

-We keep Schmidt, have Hamilton, and spend far less assets to dump Myers than it would cost to get OEL/Jones.

7 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Exposing Schmidt would be a tough pass for Seattle they probably take him. Given teams have been given permission to talk to Hamilton and GMs can call Francis and make pre-arranged deals for the ED this for sure is within the realm of reason.   

3 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I'm a far bigger fan of going after Dougie Hamilton on a 7x9 deal than 6x8.25 on OEL or similar for Seth jones.  

-We would be able to trade Schmidt for quality assets rather than give up assets to obtain OEL/Jones

or

-We keep Schmidt, have Hamilton, and spend far less assets to dump Myers than it would cost to get OEL/Jones.

Me too ... Hamilton > then both OEL and Jones at the moment anyways, and likely in the future too.   And all it costs is cap.    9 in Vancouver is like 8.25 in CAR net pay ... so it's likely what it would cost a Canadian team if it's mostly about money.  Which it usually is.  Risky, but it's a team need.    QHs and Hamilton is a pretty good place to start. 

• Like 1

Well nice to read these comments about the pros and cons about the possibility of pursing Hamilton as the need to draft/sign a RD defenseman I believe is a.priority!  Brandt Clarke may not be available and the remaining top remaining defensemen are all LD's! Then Canucks must draft the best player at number 9!  A reminder that the Canucks in 2022 get relief in cap space which will help immensely!  

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

That's what i'm mostly interested in before throwing the baby out with the bath water by starting to do drastic things (to me that's Miller, Horvat and BB, as in a re-set like COL did with Duchene and Barrie).   For sure JB or whomever needs to make a trade at some point or manage the cap to a degree where he can plug holes.   For all the TT love, JB and management have a lot of faith in our RW depth as it is...BB, Hogs, Podz and JV - anyway your slice it your getting two plus of these guys for the same cap hit.    See one of them as a target for trading for a stud RHD if we can't manage something soon, or trading one to make the cap space to sign one.   

Im fine with another very tame off season.   JB made his bed the past 3-4 years and needs to follow through.    If a deal like Schmidt or Miller comes available then maybe take it, otherwise hang tight.    Thing is the team actually needs to make the playoffs to find out where we sit.     Even if we don't do anything but sign our guys that's fine by me.  Better then an OEL trade lol.   Manson in ANA, Reinhardt in BUFF are both interesting targets.    

Edit:  Back to re-set COL style.   The team has this and up until the following ones TDL to prove they can do it.   Otherwise it may be time to do exactly that.  As in trade two of Miller, BB and Horvat. 

I would almost prefer a tame offseason. Get the EP and QH business done, sniff out a couple of potential expansion draft motivated reasonable cost trades for a couple of younger guys at key positions, and sign some better placeholders to one year deals.

I expect the team to be better next year with even minimal changes. But if they are not clearly in a comfortable playoff spot at the trade deadline (and by this I mean a virtual lock for the playoffs, not having any mathematical chance of making it),  sell those 1 year contract guys and any other non essential pieces you can for picks, prospects, or long term improvements to build cap space and a pool of assets to use to go all in next summer on revamping the roster with impact guys at key positions.

Hopefully Aquilini will allow Benning to be able to take a strategic two offseason approach now that he has committed to keeping him. Why keep a guy only to put him on the hot seat that inevitably leads to panic and reactionary short term decisions?