The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Henrik and Daniel Sedin named Special Advisors to General Manager

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I have a feeling people will grill me for my comments regarding the comparison to the Oilers.  So, here's an answer to that FAQ.

The parallels between this Canucks team and the Oilers team of 2017 exist, in fact, I'd say it's scary how apparent they are.

In the same way that we beat the cup winning Blues and took Vegas to 7 games led on the backs of Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Demko, the same happened with Draisatl, McDavid, Nurse, etc by beating the 2016 SC finalist Sharks and taking the Ducks to 7 games in R2 in 2017.  As we know, the Oilers have never quite reached that level again, in fact, their playoff performances get worse every year.  Beaten in 5 games by the Hawks in their own building in the bubble, swept by the Jets this year.  McDavid, Draisatl, Nurse, etc have all gotten better but the performance of the team gets worse when it matters most.  Whose fault is that?  That comes down to management, imo and definitely speaks to the lack of direction instilled by ownership.

In short, we'd be naive, if not utter fools,  to think that our guys developing and getting better will necessarily translate into playoff success WITHOUT improving the state of the team.

[This should help]

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, AV. said:

I have a feeling people will grill me for my comments regarding the comparison to the Oilers.  So, here's an answer to that FAQ.

The parallels between this Canucks team and the Oilers team of 2017 exist, in fact, I'd say it's scary how apparent they are.

In the same way that we beat the cup winning Blues and took Vegas to 7 games led on the backs of Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Demko, the same happened with Draisatl, McDavid, Nurse, etc by beating the 2016 SC finalist Sharks and taking the Ducks to 7 games in R2 in 2017.  As we know, the Oilers have never quite reached that level again, in fact, their playoff performances get worse every year.  Beaten in 5 games by the Hawks in their own building in the bubble, swept by the Jets this year.  McDavid, Draisatl, Nurse, etc have all gotten better but the performance of the team gets worse when it matters most.  Whose fault is that?  That comes down to management, imo and definitely speaks to the lack of direction instilled by ownership.

In short, we'd be naive, if not utter fools,  to think that our guys developing and getting better will necessarily translate into playoff success WITHOUT improving the state of the team.

[This should help]

This is actually a far better post than most you write… not necessarily correct but far better nevertheless. 
And yes not just being constantly negative does help. 

Vancouver's toxic fanbase and media in a nutshell - "Hiring the twins is a publicity stunt to save-face! Desperation move from a drowning GM!".

There is literally no way to spin this as a bad thing. This is an incredible moment for our franchise.

Knowing Hank and Danny will be working with the players in Abbotsford, involved in the development and team-building aspects of things gives me way more comfort in drafting a player like Kent Johnson next month. Imagine if Eklund somehow fell to us? I can't think of a better development staff to work with skilled young players.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, nergish said:

Vancouver's toxic fanbase and media in a nutshell - "Hiring the twins is a publicity stunt to save-face! Desperation move from a drowning GM!".

There is literally no way to spin this as a bad thing. This is an incredible moment for our franchise.

Knowing Hank and Danny will be working with the players in Abbotsford, involved in the development and team-building aspects of things gives me way more comfort in drafting a player like Kent Johnson next month. Imagine if Eklund somehow fell to us? I can't think of a better development staff to work with skilled young players.

Agreed.  The Twins are two of the toughest (mentally) players to lace ‘em up.  Don’t know if that trait can be taught, but the Twins sure could nurture that commitment to playing hard hockey in our layers for sure.  

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, AV. said:

[This should help]

Imo, (on the ice) the Oilers had no goaltender to build around, if they did the result(s) would (perhaps) be very different; whereas, the Canucks , they seem to have a goaltender (in Demko) that can grow with the core.

Off the ice, is where I would (mostly) blame the dysfunction.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

Fingers crossed the twins can add something to the meandering front office management team.   I sure hope this not another PR stunt (like the Linden hiring) to buy time in the never ending rebuild and distract us.  Knowing the Sedin's though. I suspect they'll be able to contribute in some meaningful way - provided Aqua-LinI doesn't stick his nose in things - which has been an ongoing problem for the last 10 years and drive them out.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • RoughGame 1

On 6/22/2021 at 2:46 PM, Squamfan said:

That is what is happening, it happened with another legend and its happening now two hall of famers. the owner is is saving face because he brought jim back 

shhhhhh

the faithful will buy anything

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, AV. said:

[This should help]

State of the team? Like what do you mean? 

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

State of the team? Like what do you mean? 

Having read all of AV's posts in this thread, his views are no more than a regurgitation of his pre-existing views, which are usually more negative in tone than positive. It's also fair to state that he was very quick to point out the one positive thing he mentioned. I would dare say he used that as some kind of proof that he was a level-headed commentator. Unfortunately, that is far from the truth.

The "state of the team", as he ambiguously refers to, is not some static entity; it's ever-changing. From when Benning took over to now, the so-called state of the team has changed multiple times. Sometimes for better. Sometimes for worse. But if you were to take AV's words at face value, you'd think the state of the team has never improved.

This silly observation is comparable to the equally laughable assumption that the team is "trending downwards". More accurately, the team is up and down. Trending downwards would be like San Jose and Buffalo.

The state of the team IS currently being addressed with the additions of assistant coaches, including one new one - Brad Shaw, as well as the removal of another - Newell Brown. Whether or not this will change anything remains to be seen. The same can be said about the Sedins' hiring. Furthermore, with the use of buyouts and possible trade opportunities due to freed cap space, the state of the team ostensibly will be addressed.

AV commented very little on the positively received news of the coaching changes, which is not a surprise. There's posters who are realistic/even-handed. AV is simply not one of them.

His shtick is "Hope this helps", and it never does.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Fantastic interview today with Henrik on Donnie & Dhali. Hank gives his thoughts on the Habs success, re-signing Edler, building a winning culture, developing young players, the farm team in Abbotsford, and their new roles.

Interesting what he says about not having players playing above their ability. Great interview. Was impressed by this.

• Thanks 3

I wonder how long this publicity stunt will last ? Will they last longer than Linden ? I really don’t think they will become co-GM’s that replace Benning . Does it really take extra people to help realize the team is soft as butter and needs to get tougher to play against? Ice Hockey Kiss GIF by NHL

• RoughGame 4

Wonder if Jimmie and aqua will stab them in the back like linden.

Pretty funny all the Jb super fans getting upset with this being called a or stunt because FA has never played that card lol.

it’s the history and the fact that JB is not marketable his long list of failures and incompetence at managing this team are the reason behind a suspected PR move.

I doubt the twins would come on for that but then again they tossed linden under the bus so....

like linden those two are well respected in both the hockey community and the local community 

I sure hope they can watch each other’s backs and put  Jbs stupidity in check. 

Edited by combover
  • RoughGame 2

14 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

I wonder how long this publicity stunt will last ? Will they last longer than Linden ? I really don’t think they will become co-GM’s that replace Benning . Does it really take extra people to help realize the team is soft as butter and needs to get tougher to play against? Ice Hockey Kiss GIF by NHL

Right because the Big Bad Vegas team will roll through everyone.  Oh wait.....

(Don't undermine the Sedins' intelligence or ability to reject an offer that exploits them.  They have a lot to offer....if you don't know what that is all about, that's on you not them).

And putting that Marchand garbage up?  Troll is strong here, but weak 10 years after the fact.

Let me paint the picture for you:  not all guys are weasels and play the game according to Brad Marchand (thank God).  Some don't want to devolve it into that and the Sedins took the high road so they wouldn't hurt their team.  Brad looked like the ass there...still does.  Here's another example of how to hockey by Brad.  No thanks...even AS a great player, he's a dbag clown.

image.png

Brad makes himself look bad more than he makes others look bad.  It's his go to crap but, as a grown man, he should really be better.  Grow up and act like a man not a boy.  No one needs this crap in hockey.  No one.  There's a total lack of respect for the game here.

Hey, I have an idea:  do a poll.  See how many NHL'ers not on Boston respect the Sedins versus Brad Marchand.  He doesn't play as big without Chara backing him up these days.  

This post from you is soft as butter.  You and Brad need a new schtick.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, combover said:

Wonder if Jimmie and aqua will stab them in the back like linden.

Pretty funny all the Jb super fans getting upset with this being called a or stunt because FA has never played that card lol.

it’s the history and the fact that JB is not marketable his long list of failures and incompetence at managing this team are the reason behind a suspected PR move.

I doubt the twins would come on for that but then again they tossed linden under the bus so....

like linden those two are well respected in both the hockey community and the local community 

I sure hope they can watch each other’s backs and put  Jbs stupidity in check. 

When you throw in "super" fans it discredits your opinion.  You're adding stuff to help your case but if it was strong on its own, you wouldn't have to.

Super haters...that would be the flip side.  People who can't get over their agenda and focus forward.  Everything ties in to their misery.

JB doesn't have to be "marketable"....the team, itself, is.  Anyone not on board with our young studs is focusing on the wrong things.  JB's job isn't to look and sound pretty...it's to put a pretty team together.  We're not far off.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

When you throw in "super" fans it discredits your opinion.  You're adding stuff to help your case but if it was strong on its own, you wouldn't have to.

Super haters...that would be the flip side.  People who can't get over their agenda and focus forward.  Everything ties in to their misery.

JB doesn't have to be "marketable"....the team, itself, is.  Anyone not on board with our young studs is focusing on the wrong things.  JB's job isn't to look and sound pretty...it's to put a pretty team together.  We're not far off.

Fair enough with the super fan comment.

I disagree with Jb be marketable if the fan base has no confidence in the guy running the operation then the brand will suffer. 
There is a large portion of this fan base that feels Jim isn’t capable therefore trying to say we’re on the right path from a guy who’s looked lost confused and incompetent for 7 seasons doesn’t mean anything.

yes we have some good young players but being a terrible team will give you that aka the oilers was there manager good because his team sucked so bad he got good picks. 

I like many have zero confidence Jb is capable his  interviews and comments just pad my stats. 

I like the twins I think they’ll help a lot if they don’t get rail tossed like linden and JB was part of that.

so if they were smart and I think they are they shouldnt trust Jim or FA for that matter. 

• Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, combover said:

Fair enough with the super fan comment.

I disagree with Jb be marketable if the fan base has no confidence in the guy running the operation then the brand will suffer. 
There is a large portion of this fan base that feels Jim isn’t capable therefore trying to say we’re on the right path from a guy who’s looked lost confused and incompetent for 7 seasons doesn’t mean anything.

yes we have some good young players but being a terrible team will give you that aka the oilers was there manager good because his team sucked so bad he got good picks. 

I like many have zero confidence Jb is capable his  interviews and comments just pad my stats. 

I like the twins I think they’ll help a lot if they don’t get rail tossed like linden and JB was part of that.

so if they were smart and I think they are they shouldnt trust Jim or FA for that matter. 

Clearly you’re a passionate fan, as all of us are on this board.  We just want our team to be great, and win.  Having the Twins in an advisory role (seems they will have input in almost all areas of the club) only makes us closer to that goal.  I’m not sure which Twin said this, but I found it very important.  He said we need players who aren’t playing above (in a role and minutes) where they should be.  The Twins know that winning teams, because they’ve been on them, have players in the roles that best suit each player’s talents.  

I wonder which players the Twins feel are playing above the role their talents indicate?  Myers?  Pearson?  

• Vintage 1

On 6/24/2021 at 2:23 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Overheard in Swedish in the Canucks offices...

"Loui, du är en bra kille, men går bara i pension ok?"

Maybe the Sedins can convince Leechy Eriksson to retire this year.

• Upvote 1