The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Henrik and Daniel Sedin named Special Advisors to General Manager

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Cool. I wish them the best. Jason King is probably hoping for some pointers from those two wizards.

Sedins future Co-GMs, and King gets joined by the twins’ other former linemates to fill out the coaching staff. Maybe Burrows, Hansen, and King behind the bench. Taylor Pyatt can be the video coach (put those eyes to good use ;)). Still figuring out roles for Carter, Samuelsson, Klatt, Vrbata, Naslund, Linden, etc. :P

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Normally I don't agree with anything @Squamfan posts, but in this case, I don't know that he's wrong.  The timing just seems a little suspicious.  Would this move have happened if there hadn't been "Fire Benning" chants and banners?  Would it have happened if the team had made the playoffs?

Don't get me wrong, I love the Sedins in this role.  Maybe it is a genuine move, but it just feels desperate to me.

The leak about them joining happened the same day when it was announced Benning would be back

• RoughGame 2

13 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don’t think they’ll have much, if any, say in things. 

Probably more so learning the ropes for something down the line. 

Still though I worry fans are gonna turn on them real quick. If Linden wasn’t safe from it then no way the Sedins will be. 

The difference between "President" and "Special Advisor" titles will hopefully shield them from the inevitable jeering of nuck nation turning on them if the team hits a slump. I see them doing a lot of individual player development work, assess special teams coaches, european scouting/development. 

They always enjoyed staying behind the scenes away from the spotlight, while being tremendously effective, and I see these roles being no different.

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sounds like the Twins might be in almost a Presidential role?  Maybe conduits to the owner?  Maybe Benning cannot do anything without first explaining the move to the Twins and getting their approval?  

I think co-presidents would be the ideal role for these guys 2 or 3 years from now. The next two years will be like getting a masters degree in running a team and at that point they would know how to fill any holes in the team structure properly. 

This is what they should have done with Linden. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I can see plenty of people seeing this as Bieksa declaring interest in joining the team. Frankly, he'd be a solid hire. Could replace Baumgartner.

Bieksa is custom built for a role in the media like he has now. 

He has no coaching experience plus his personality combined with his personal schtick (humor, sarcasm, etc.) is fantastic in a media gig but doesnt sound like top skills needed in an NHL coach.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Vintage 1

It's something positive, whatever it is they do. They led by example, were highly respected, worked harder than anyone. Maybe it rubs off on the players, good vibes in the room, etc.

Looking forward to seeing Danny and Hank at the Draft table, which makes me think, they're taking a Swede ::D  Eklund, Lysell, Edvinsson or Wallstedt.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Sounds like an apprenticeship for an eventual promotion as they learn the ropes. The first co-GMs of the NHL in the future?

I hope not, because GM's have a shelf-life 

Have em high up, in positions where they can positively impact the team, but in positions they'll never likely be fired from 

Last thing I wanna see is another Linden blemish

Edited by Coconuts

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Bieksa is custom built for a role in the media like he has now. 

He has no coaching experience plus his personality combined with his personal schtick (humor, sarcasm, etc.) is fantastic in a media gig but doesnt sound like top skills needed in an NHL coach.

No doubt he's killing it on TV. 

2 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

How is anyone being negative about this??  @Squamfan clearly has an issue with Jim Benning and Aquaman, but why hate on the Sedins?  If it is just a PR stunt I expect that they will leave “amicably” even faster than Trevor did. Also l, does anyone believe that they haven’t spoke with Trevor Linden since his tenure ended?  Hank and Daniel are two absolutely solid human beings and I’d rather have them involved with this team in an advisory role, PR stunt or even wearing the Fin suit when people are allowed back in than not at all. 

Only time will tell if they are anywhere near as skilled off the ice as they are on it, but the organization can only benefit from having them back around the team. I for one do not believe that either of them would do this for the money, and would refuse to simply lie to the fans to make Aqualini more money. 

1000%!! Same as my posts! I don't get some people. 

• Cheers 2