The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Henrik and Daniel Sedin named Special Advisors to General Manager

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Good news imo.They say they want to learn the ropes so good on the Canucks for giving them the chance.Its not like they haven’t earned the chance regardless wether people think it’s damage control/publicity stunt Blah Blah Blah.

7 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Watch them end up coming out of retirement half way through the year, secretly practicing with the team getting into game shape again :bigblush:

They are 41, so playing anything more than 2nd power play maybe too much.:ph34r:

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

The Sedins are smart and want to learn how things work first, so I don't think the Linden risk is there nearly to the same degree. But in a co-president role I think they'd be great, setting the overall strategy and they'd be wise enough to delegate to their GM when needed. Linden made some rookie mistakes and I think the Sedins will avoid that by taking on this role first. 

Wherever it goes I'm happy, good to have them back involved. 

Linden felt a lot more like a PR stunt to appease fans. But he did have some experience on the business side of things with his own business and with his time with the NHLPA.

I think a lot of Linden's rookie mistakes might actually have been owner influenced ones.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Linden felt a lot more like a PR stunt to appease fans. But he did have some experience on the business side of things with his own business and with his time with the NHLPA.

I think a lot of Linden's rookie mistakes might actually have been owner influenced ones.

Yeah being elected President of the NHLPA in 1998 by the players says a lot imo of the kind of guy Linden was for the game, and players recognized that in him, he held that position for 8 years. His resume just due to that and being a leader and captain of his team, taking them to the stanley cup finals, was enough for the role he was in and should of been taken more serious, because I know he wanted nothing more than to win a cup here in Vancouver, he wanted one bad enough when playing but he would of been happy winning one as President. This is where I hold FA responsible and why many previous GMs don't like FA, he's doing stuff behind closed doors that is getting under these guys skin, and I strongly believe something happened where Trevor was basically silenced and realized what your saying he was used as a PR stint and said forget it, I got a business to deal with instead where people actually respect me.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Curmudgeon said:

The Sedins quietly put in the work to go from soft, slow-footed and baby-faced to the two best players ever to play for Vancouver. They never whined or bitched about any of the mountain of abuse, both physical and verbal, that they took year after year. They went back to Sweden every summer and worked harder than anyone to be better, and every fall they were. They have a genius for the offensive part of the game and the gravitas they need when they tell some hotshot young prospect what they are doing wrong, what they need to do to fix it and what it takes to be an elite professional. Who's going to argue with not one, but two surefire Hockey Hall of Famers? So: Intelligence? check. Offensive genius? check. Insanely focussed work ethic? check. Lifelong loyalty to Vancouver and the Canucks? check. Two of the most authoritative voices on what it means to be a Canuck? check, check. And I really admire Jim Benning for welcoming them inside the circle, even if it must have crossed his mind that they could eventually replace him if they master the things he teaches them. And I imagine the eagle-eyed among us will catch a glimpse of them in Abbotsford this coming season.

So good I liked it twice.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

I hope you are right.  I am just worried about unintended consequences.

Here’s how I see things playing out.

If next season is a big success, the Canucks start winning, and it carries over into a competitive phase for the team, then who’s getting credit? The Sedins. Deserved or not, there will be a lot of people claiming the twins joining management is what turned the team around.

If next season is a huge failure, the Canucks finish bottom of the league, and the axe comes down, who’s getting fired? Benning and Weisbrod. Who’s not getting fired? The Sedins.

A new GM comes in and is choosing his staff? Who’s first on his list for keeping? The Sedins. If he’s smart, he promotes them. Instant PR win and gets the city on his side from day one.

And once the twins have padded their resumes, and the time comes for a regime change, who’s getting the first interviews with ownership (for GM or President)? That’d be the Sedins. 

Notice a pattern? ;) 

Honestly, so long as the twins maintain titles that are below the GM, who in their right mind is going to fire them?

And if the twins are committed to really learning the job, before taking on senior management positions, then it’s very likely they’ll be successful, if and when they decide to finally seek those high level roles. At that point, they’ll succeed or fail on their own merits, and they won’t be anyone’s pawns.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

which mistakes are you thinking of?

hiring Willie D, not being patient and interviewing more GM candidates, not seeing that a tear down was needed are the biggies. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I'm sure Aquilini had influence, but I actually like what that family has done for the city and team. 

What I like about this is it really looks like they could be setting the Sedins up for long term success here, thats showing some great leadership and learning from past mistakes.