The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Henrik and Daniel Sedin named Special Advisors to General Manager

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Normally I don't agree with anything @Squamfan posts, but in this case, I don't know that he's wrong.  The timing just seems a little suspicious.  Would this move have happened if there hadn't been "Fire Benning" chants and banners?  Would it have happened if the team had made the playoffs?

Don't get me wrong, I love the Sedins in this role.  Maybe it is a genuine move, but it just feels desperate to me.

Even Squam is laughing at you.

6 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don’t think they’ll have much, if any, say in things. 

Probably more so learning the ropes for something down the line. 

Still though I worry fans are gonna turn on them real quick. If Linden wasn’t safe from it then no way the Sedins will be. 

Kinda like a good number on here were posting that the Sedins needed to retire. Now, people are posting that they need to run the 3 line. 

Or maybe you are referring to the super loud 12 people protesting outside GM place with the media eating it up.

Linden has business savy and had his plan. I honestly feel that his plan was what the team was doing until he quit. It wasn't working. I believe Benning's rebuild started after Linden left.

Anyways, Sedins even posted that they are here to learn. Future is when they get roasted.

IMHO, bad move for the same reason I think Green is a terrible coach, the turn the other cheek style of play does not win Cups in the salary cap era no matter how talented a team may be. We need to build a tough team, not take the toughness out of our players like we’ve been doing. 

Argue with me all you want, I expect it because you’re all blinded by your respect for the Sedins, I respect them too but broke my rose coloured glasses long ago, I won’t argue back, instead I’ll put both my avatar and my siggy on the line, I’ll ditch them both if next season we win just one playoff game

• RoughGame 1

7 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

IMHO, bad move for the same reason I think Green is a terrible coach, the turn the other cheek style of play does not win Cups in the salary cap era no matter how talented a team may be. We need to build a tough team, not take the toughness out of our players like we’ve been doing. 

Argue with me all you want, I expect it because you’re all blinded by your respect for the Sedins, I respect them too but broke my rose coloured glasses long ago, I won’t argue back, instead I’ll put both my avatar and my siggy on the line, I’ll ditch them both if next season we win just one playoff game

Or maybe the twins see the flaws in their games and know how to tweak in order to be successful. I’ve never seen those two as stubborn people. Don’t forget they were dominant at stages in their careers, mvp level. Literally a game away from the holy grail. I’m sure they know a thing or two about the game. Not to mention I’m sure they’re absolutely determined to bring a cup to Vancouver. Unfinished business. 

• Cheers 2

Cover me in paper bags if you must, but after the the rumors of turbulence in our front office, including the fact that our former president and former scouting director both walked away on less than amicable terms, and the stench of yet another subpar season still fresh, this reads to me as a publicity stunt. The twins have a boatload of goodwill in this market, and adding them to the mix could go a long way towards keeping some heat off of management/ownership.

That said, I hope I'm wrong. The Sedins are quality guys and surely wouldn't come aboard if it was just some sort of publicity stunt, right?

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • RoughGame 1

6 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Bieksa is custom built for a role in the media like he has now. 

He has no coaching experience plus his personality combined with his personal schtick (humor, sarcasm, etc.) is fantastic in a media gig but doesnt sound like top skills needed in an NHL coach.

yes he does, he coaches his sons team or did lol

14 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Or maybe the twins see the flaws in their games and know how to tweak in order to be successful. I’ve never seen those two as stubborn people. Don’t forget they were dominant at stages in their careers, mvp level. Literally a game away from the holy grail. I’m sure they know a thing or two about the game. Not to mention I’m sure they’re absolutely determined to bring a cup to Vancouver. Unfinished business. 

Possibly and I hope you’re right, just the “identity” if you want to call it that, of this team is pretty soft and they never brought the youth game when they played.

Please note, I  am not calling the Sedins soft, to play through and put up with what they did and still be the best players in the league means they’re pretty tough SOBs, I’m only referring to the style of play which I don’t believe has much success in the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Cover me in paper bags if you must, but after the the rumors of turbulence in our front office, including the fact that our former president and former scouting director both walked away on less than amicable terms, and the stench of yet another subpar season still fresh, this reads to me as a publicity stunt. The twins have a boatload of goodwill in this market, and adding them to the mix could go a long way towards keeping some heat off of management/ownership.

That said, I hope I'm wrong. The Sedins are quality guys and surely wouldn't come aboard if it was just some sort of publicity stunt, right?

It is good PR but I am not sure it really takes any heat off of management/ownership. If the team falls on its face next season nobody is going to blame the Sedins. They are basically interns, there to learn the ropes with no real responsibility.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Luongo's got a gold medal as a GM in the IIHF that you probably didn't watch this season...

honestly doubt lou would ever come back too van, him and his family seem too** like florida.

Edited by TNucks1
  • Cheers 1