The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Things that make you feel good

Ilunga

A whole bunch of great things that have happened on this day over the years.

The first real motorcycle to use an internal combustion engine was patented 136 years ago.

Riding my Triumph makes me feel really good.

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/events060829/

It's also Chris Hadfield's 62nd birthday.

First Canadian to walk in space.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ilunga said:

My father was starting to suffer the effects of early on-set Alzheimer's before he died.

Early on set is a scary, scary disease.

In order to get my Long Term Care Aide certification, I needed to do some volunteer work at a local intermediate care facility, in Sidney B.C.

Met a resident,  a 56 year old former chartered accountant, who had been diagnosed with early onset. Nice man but easily confused, so not able to live at home. Left the stove on; and all that kind of stuff

I did 2 weeks volunteer work there, then slid into my 6 month course. Part way through it was time to do a practicum at a local extended care. 2 months had passed and the same fellow was now in an extended care and non speaking, non walking and unable to recognize his wife of 35 years.

The decline was one of the scariest things I have ever seen.

Any good news about Alzheimer's is GREAT news.

• Cheers 2

Adding to my knowledge about how our brains sense the world makes me feel good.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2021-08-31/science-of-illusions-brain-perception-and-senses/100364762

I am Cognizant with the fact that we don't see what is actually there.

This article has a couple of really good illusions that illustrate this.

• Cheers 1

A while back during the Pandemic, an 11 year old girl challenged Dave Grohl to a drum off (and won)....

Recently at a concert in LA, the Foo Fighters brought her up on stage to sit in. The audio and video aren't the greatest quality, because it's all shot from her dad's phone, but you can definitely tell this girl has some serious chops....

Props to Dave, Taylor and crew for being such awesome people....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

A while back during the Pandemic, an 11 year old girl challenged Dave Grohl to a drum off (and won)....

Recently at a concert in LA, the Foo Fighters brought her up on stage to sit in. The audio and video aren't the greatest quality, because it's all shot from her dad's phone, but you can definitely tell this girl has some serious chops....

Props to Dave, Taylor and crew for being such awesome people....

From talking to people who have met him Dave is the most down to earth and approachable guy.

5 hours ago, JM_ said:

Just got new back country ski's, so that makes me happy :) 

I hate shopping, but I love new gear. 

What sort are they ?

One of my friends is the Salamon Rep.

He got me a pair of Q-Lab skis a few years back.

From the race department however they are a free ski.

138-104-127.

With a rocker both ways it enables you to put 4 inches of ski underfoot on edge easily.

Nice and stiff,by far the best ski's I have ever ridden.

Edited by Ilunga

3 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

What sort are they ?

One of my friends is the Salamon Rep.

He got me a pair of Q-Lab skis a few years back.

From the race department however they are a free ski.

138-104-127.

With a rocker both ways it enables you to put 4 inches of ski underfoot on edge easily.

Nice and stiff,by far the best ski's I have ever ridden.

these little beauties: https://www.fischersports.com/ca_en/s-bound-98-crown/dual-skin-xtralite-2391?c=5046

For what we like to do, these are perfect. We like climbing and long touring, so these are actually a fusion of nordic and alpine skis. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

these little beauties: https://www.fischersports.com/ca_en/s-bound-98-crown/dual-skin-xtralite-2391?c=5046

For what we like to do, these are perfect. We like climbing and long touring, so these are actually a fusion of nordic and alpine skis. 

I like to hike to get to where there is some challenging skiing.

We used to use alpine trekkers now they have ironed out the problems with alpine bindings that can also be used for touring I got me a pair of S-Lab Shift Tour ski bindings.

With a Din of 6-13 though I always set my bindings on 11 and one should never set their bindings at the top of their Din levels,they are a sick binding.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

I like to hike to get to where there is some challenging skiing.

We used to use alpine trekkers now they have ironed out the problems with alpine bindings that can also be used for touring I got me a pair of S-Lab Shift Tour ski bindings.

With a Din of 6-13 though I always set my bindings on 11 and one should never set their bindings at the top of their Din levels,they are a sick binding.

whats great about all the gear now is how many things people can actually do in the back country. And its relatively cheap when you compare it to other sports. Once you get your set up, you just go. No long lines, no lift tickets, just a great day. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

whats great about all the gear now is how many things people can actually do in the back country. And its relatively cheap when you compare it to other sports. Once you get your set up, you just go. No long lines, no lift tickets, just a great day. 

There is nothing like the quietness when you are out in the mountains.

Here in Aus when you get up early on a sunny day,start cutting in a bootpack on a steep chute or zig zag up a milder incline on skis and the Icecicles on the snowgum leaves melt off and "tinkle" to the ground.

2 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Here in Aus when you get up early on a sunny day,start cutting in a bootpack on a steep chute or zig zag up a milder incline on skis and the Icecicles on the snowgum leaves melt off and "tinkle" to the ground.

have you ever skied outside of Australia? I'd be curious to know the differences. 

My wife has family in northern Italy, we're thinking of a trip to the Dolomites once the world gets back to normalish. 

2 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Just ran this through Google Translate and the answer came back, "F***ed if I know".....

• Haha 1