The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Imagine Having a Defence Core with Size Like This

11 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Youre comparing age 21 QH to age 28 DH- I think YOU need to go do some research

You said the Canucks would lose a game breaker on the offensive end... I'm saying you won't if you add Hamilton based on all of the above.  What's there to research? 

25 minutes ago, HKSR said:

You said the Canucks would lose a game breaker on the offensive end... I'm saying you won't if you add Hamilton based on all of the above.  What's there to research? 

DH puts up points and is a good player but I'd still argue QH has more ability to make extremely difficult plays happen that not many other players can.  That was my point about game breaking skill.  Im not talking about overall offensive production, which again you're comparing age 28 DH vs age 21 QH which ain't all that great to begin with.

20 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

DH puts up points and is a good player but I'd still argue QH has more ability to make extremely difficult plays happen that not many other players can.  That was my point about game breaking skill.  Im not talking about overall offensive production, which again you're comparing age 28 DH vs age 21 QH which ain't all that great to begin with.

How long do you think the Canucks window is for a cup run?  By most accounts, people seem to agree on the next 3 to 5 years.  If that's what you believe (which is what I believe), then I'll take DH in his prime for the next few years when the window is open.

Just remember, PK Subban had the game breaking offensive ability (more so than QH IMO), but I'm certain that if PK were still on the Canadiens, they would have been ousted a long time ago.

Leave the game breaking to guys like Petey, Boeser, and Miller (and Bo at times when he's on his offensive game). 

Your top 4 D need to be able to defend against the big forwards in the post season.

Oh, and just an aside, I'd rather my defenceman put up the numbers including double digit goals consistently rather than watching him making difficult plays lol

Edited by HKSR

6 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Hellya id take zadorov for holtby in a heartbeat 

It's been floated that Zadorov and his agent are seeking a 5.85mil per year for a 5 year deal.  Would that make you pause?  That would essentially put him into the top 30 paid defencemen in the entire league. 

23 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

It's been floated that Zadorov and his agent are seeking a 5.85mil per year for a 5 year deal.  Would that make you pause?  That would essentially put him into the top 30 paid defencemen in the entire league. 

Oof yeah that would make me pause for sure. Is he due for a contract this offseason?

edit: i just looked and he needs a new contract we just cant afford it unfortunately i dont think id give him more than 4.25 for 5. If he was a RHD id give more.

Edited by Bertuzzipunch

16 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Oof yeah that would make me pause for sure. Is he due for a contract this offseason?

He's listed as RFA with arbitration rights so his next contract could prove to be pretty important. 

I mean on paper people see 26yo, 6'6", 235lbs, 20min TOI/GP and they instantly say, yup we need that on our defence - but then you look at his contract status and that's a whole other dimension that needs serious consideration. 

55 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Hes not ready but we can find someone

True, but who?   You get what you pay for right?   We could go out and get a crappy back up for 1-1.5 million but is said goalie going to take pressure off of Demko in any way?   What if Demko gets hurt?   Are there many other “1A” options out there?  What would they cost?   

Moving Holtby might not be the worst idea in the world but I’d personally hang onto him for another year.

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

Who would be our back up if we made that deal?  I don’t think Dipietro is ready.

The one fan in that article mentioned a Zadorov+Subban package for Holtby++

That covers off the backup role and goalie exposure for the ED.

• Upvote 1