The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Lessons Have The Habs Taught Us?

Rate this topic

To commit to getting better. That's about it. Gotta make moves to get somewhere. 

In a normal year they don't make it to the finals. They just got lucky and beat a team who went cold offensively (as they can do as we saw last year against us) and beat 2 weaker playoff teams to get there. 

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1
41 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Most unfair assessment ever.  

Doesn't matter what happens in the Finals as the Habs D shut the hell down for 3 rounds with Price [mostly] picking up the slack combining with just enough offense to win out.  

They deserve to be where they are more than the losers that lost to them.

And they won't shut down Tampa because their offense never runs cold. If they do you can let me know. Until then it's a fair assessment. 

• Haha 1
On 6/26/2021 at 8:51 AM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Holtby at this stage of his career, isn't even a passable backup goalie let alone starting goalie. 

After watching this last season, Holtby is the least of my worries.  

Letting in 5 goals on 20 breakaways and 2 on 1s was actually quite a feat.  

I'm more worried about Elias, Quinn and JT Miller after watching last season. 

• Upvote 1

They’ve taught us that our bottom six is not big enough or skilled enough (mainly from a defensive perspective). They’ve also taught us that our top 4D doesn’t match up against Weber, Petry, Chabot and Edmondson. 

Obviously, we’re miles behind the quality of the Tampa Bay Lightening. 

I think the Kraken management is drooling over all the D options they’ll have in the ED and the available UFAs. Their 2nd and 3rd D pairings will be better than just about all other NHL teams’ 2nd and 3rd D pairings.

I expect the Kraken to challenge for a playoff spot especially if they can obtain a solid 1a or 1b D man.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, sockeye said:

They’ve taught us that our bottom six is not big enough or skilled enough (mainly from a defensive perspective). They’ve also taught us that our top 4D doesn’t match up against Weber, Petry, Chabot and Edmondson. 

Obviously, we’re miles behind the quality of the Tampa Bay Lightening. 

I think the Kraken management is drooling over all the D options they’ll have in the ED and the available UFAs. Their 2nd and 3rd D pairings will be better than just about all other NHL teams’ 2nd and 3rd D pairings.

I expect the Kraken to challenge for a playoff spot especially if they can obtain a solid 1a or 1b D man.

Would be a good idea to trade for a dman from them after the ED.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
On 6/23/2021 at 10:46 PM, EddieVedder said:

Never... 

As cute as a lot of posters here think Huggy bear is, we are getting nowhere if we think we can mold our defense around him.  You cant keep trying to convince yourselves that this is turning into a no hit girls league.  It will never happen.  This team needs a legit #1 and frankly,  legit #2 that can play in every situation.

Well said,  I've been around long enough to tell you that moulding a team into a Euro/Sweedish style regular season finesse hockey team will NEVER win you a cup.    It might get you some oohs and ahs in the regular season but will colapse in the playoffs.  Until uncle Jim is fired and we get a real GM capable of building a more rugged and tougher team (yes, with some skill), we will go nowhere.     

The kids we are banking on have skill but that is not enough to win a cup.  Witness Tampa!  They not only have skill, but size, presence, grit and take no BS from anyone.    The canucks are not even close to being in the same league as them or past SC champs and i see no sign of this changing with JB entering his 7th year and that goes for our Interim AHL Calibre coach Green as well.  Hopefully Aqua-lini fires both of them in 12 months if we see yet another dismall set of results.

• Vintage 1
2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Beware the eastern media hype. 

That’s what the Leafs show us with every one of their first round losses.  

• Hydration 1
On 6/28/2021 at 10:14 PM, MikeyD said:

And they won't shut down Tampa because their offense never runs cold. If they do you can let me know. Until then it's a fair assessment. 

Greens point was nothing to do with Tampa's offence.............

The Habs beat some very good teams to get to the final, That is not luck, they deserve to be there.... 

6 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Well said,  I've been around long enough to tell you that moulding a team into a Euro/Sweedish style regular season finesse hockey team will NEVER win you a cup.    It might get you some oohs and ahs in the regular season but will colapse in the playoffs.  Until uncle Jim is fired and we get a real GM capable of building a more rugged and tougher team (yes, with some skill), we will go nowhere.     

The kids we are banking on have skill but that is not enough to win a cup.  Witness Tampa!  They not only have skill, but size, presence, grit and take no BS from anyone.    The canucks arJese not even close to being in the same league as them or past SC champs and i see no sign of this changing with JB entering his 7th year and that goes for our Interim AHL Calibre coach Green as well.  Hopefully Aqua-lini fires both of them in 12 months if we see yet another dismall set of results.

Jesus Man, tell us how you really feel?