The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Lessons Have The Habs Taught Us?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

Sadly the Habs lineup is not built for sustained success the way Tampa (or even Florida, NYI) is. 

We should focus on a star core and build around it rather than the Habs recent team of 4 grinding lines with a couple of scorers, shutdown defencemen built around a star goalie. 

It's no surprise that defensive teams win championships but lately you need to score more and getting battered with shots and chances is going to pay its toll on defences and goalies, as Tampa just broke the Habs and Price. Price doesn't have years in the tank either.

We've got Demko to build around but can't play the same style, we need to play more balanced and I think JB wants to with a couple of decent puck moving defencemen and some skilled forwards. Now we have the skilled core, we really need to work on them, make them the best players they can be and surround them with big bodies and gritty players. We have some nice players on D right now but our forward lines are half waiver wire pick ups/AHL softies who need to go.

NYI, Florida and Tampa have solid gritty forwards across their lineup whereas we're one of the smallest forward groups.

JB this and JB that. 7 yrs and what have we got? The highest paid bottom 6 and a lot of wasted yrs giving away draft choices and signing players with inflated contracts. Jb and the coach would have been long gone on any other team.

this is not rocket science. you need to sign players that play up to their contract . simple as that. name any decent team that has 6 million dollar cap hit anchors for LITTERALLY NOTHING.

this team is the king of signing garbage contracts and then having YEARS wasted completely due to pathetic team building

GM benning knows how to draft but doesnt know how to sign .. well anyone.?

Just now, TheNewGM said:

this is not rocket science. you need to sign players that play up to their contract . simple as that. name any decent team that has 6 million dollar cap hit anchors for LITTERALLY NOTHING.

this team is the king of signing garbage contracts and then having YEARS wasted completely due to pathetic team building

Please tell me you are a lawyer or someone with experience in this in order to prove that this is "easy".

Because otherwise I have no reason to take you seriously.

6 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

The same year that Eriksson signed, Boston signed Davis Backes to a 5 year, 6 mil/year deal. 

The same year New York Islanders signed Andrew Ladd to a 7 year, 5.5 mil/year deal.  

Want some current teams that have bad contracts?  

Johnny Boychuk, 6 mil/season...  your pick if you want to attribute that to Boston or the Islanders?  

Sergei Bobrovsky 10 mil/season for another five years and Florida is an excellent team despite that contract. 

Charlie Coyle has 5 years left at 5.25 mil/season and is coming of 6 goals in 51 games.  

Now as far as "wasting YEARS"...  a rebuild takes time and we started the rebuild somewhere around 2017.  What years were wasted, the ones where we were supposed to be rebuilding or contending earlier?  If you say that we should've started tearing it all down earlier, then I agree with you but that's in the past.  

Benning does need to improve on his signings and that's why we brought in Chris Gear a couple of years ago.  I still like Myers' signing to this day, and we haven't made any bad signings since then, so we're on the right path.  It's not as bad as you make it seem but I get the frustration that comes with the rebuild. 

I say this to anyone that holds the view that Benning is the worst GM, so on and so forth:  We may need to replace Jim Benning to become an elite team as he is an amazing amateur scout but hasn't shown yet that he's capable of building a cup contender...  but we are still a year away from getting to that stage where our prospects have ripened and are ready to be impact players.  Patience and enjoy watching the following 5 Canuck youngsters: 

1. Rathbone 

2. Hoglander 

3. Podkolzin 

4. Lockwood

5. Jett Woo

6. Kole Lind 

7. Aidan McDonaugh 

8. Jackson Kunz 

9. Carson Focht 

10. Karel Plasek 

If we were in the current situation and our best players were all 27 and older, I would be worried and disgusted.  Without stating the obvious, I could list 20 players that are 25 and under, in our system/team that I'm happy about so I will leave it at that.  

Cheers

On 7/15/2021 at 7:36 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Sadly the Habs lineup is not built for sustained success the way Tampa (or even Florida, NYI) is. 

We should focus on a star core and build around it rather than the Habs recent team of 4 grinding lines with a couple of scorers, shutdown defencemen built around a star goalie. 

It's no surprise that defensive teams win championships but lately you need to score more and getting battered with shots and chances is going to pay its toll on defences and goalies, as Tampa just broke the Habs and Price. Price doesn't have years in the tank either.

We've got Demko to build around but can't play the same style, we need to play more balanced and I think JB wants to with a couple of decent puck moving defencemen and some skilled forwards. Now we have the skilled core, we really need to work on them, make them the best players they can be and surround them with big bodies and gritty players. We have some nice players on D right now but our forward lines are half waiver wire pick ups/AHL softies who need to go.

NYI, Florida and Tampa have solid gritty forwards across their lineup whereas we're one of the smallest forward groups.

Hey pal!  First of all, I'm coming to Australia next April and if things work out well, we should catch a game at a bar somewhere.

I gotta disagree on Price.  We've seen many goalies shine well into their late 30s, especially lately.  Although Price might have a down year due to the amount of game time that he just went through in such a short time, I don't see a reason for his decline any time soon.  

On our end, the good news on the small forward group is that our prospects are currently full of big/bigger guys: Podkolzin, Kole Lind, Jonah Gadjovich, Aidan McDonaugh and Jackson Kunz. 

We also have quite a few average sized gritty guys that have no issues winning their puck battles in the corners: Hoglander, Highmore, Lockwood, Carson Focht, Zlodeyev (longshot).  

I'm really not worried about our forwards at all, this year, next year or into the future.  What worries me is acquiring some bigger d-men that can skate.  Our future pipeline currently has Jett Woo and a bunch of longshots to make the NHL.  This is why I'm hoping that Jim Benning lays low for one more year and saves himself the cap space going into next year's free agency.  

2022 Free Agents, defensemen, right side: 

Parayko 

Ristolainen 

Seth Jones 

Ryan Pulock 

John Klingberg 

Josh Manson