The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Lessons Have The Habs Taught Us?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

Have 4 decent forward lines at least. Have 3 lines that are capable of scoring. Have a solid D-core that can play well physically and defensively. Have a great goalie. 

Habs are pretty much a mini version of Vegas with not as many talented forwards. You could argue the Habs goaltending and D-core is a bit better though. 

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I'd guess every 3-5 ys(or so) there's a run where one team has a number of variables which suddenly turn in their favour. Yet that team also must be constituted in a form that'll seize the day. That old adage of 'luck' being the place where preparation meets opportunity.

Agree, that game yesterday was a pleasure to see the Vegans acting like they're locked in a Wendy's location!

yup, just look no further than Binnington.

I just think MTL has had the advantage of a bit more luck than usual, along with all the other positive things people are mentioning. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, rekker said:

Some big physical dman are a must. A power forward like J Anderson is a must. Goaltending. But really, we all new this. To me the Habs biggest lesson has been to remind us all that any team can catch lightning in a bottle and go on a run. 

Sure invites some mid-90's nostalgia, eh?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Habs remind me of the blues when they won the cup except montreal wont win the cup. Solid big D, good goaltending (only that playoffs) and a bunch of okay forwards nothing great really. Yeah will give them a good year like this year but wont last just like it didnt last in st louis. 

Might be a hot take but I'd be surprised if Montreal even makes the playoffs next year.

They're riding a hot goalie and on an adrenaline rush of things going their way.

They had one more win than us and look how poor our season was. They would've finished 10th in the east this season overall.

As Jimbo said, get into the playoffs and anything can happen, however, no GM in the league should be banking on that. Build your team properly.

• Cheers 2

Just now, MrCanuck94 said:

Might be a hot take but I'd be surprised if Montreal even makes the playoffs next year.

They're riding a hot goalie and on an adrenaline rush of things going their way.

They had one more win than us and look how poor our season was. They would've finished 10th in the east this season overall.

As Jimbo said, get into the playoffs and anything can happen, however, no GM in the league should be banking on that. Build your team properly.

I agree 

Build from the net out, need great goaltending and good defensive D with size. The ability to get the puck out of the zone and up ice, mobile Dmen to work the PP. Centres who drive the net and get those garbage goals, strength down the middle, and wingers who are fast and tough as nails in the corners. Contribution from all 4 lines. 

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Having a guy named Alex Burrows as part of your organizational structure is a good thing 

yeah. If MTL ends up winning the cup I'll get teary eyed when Burr lifts the cup. That'll make the obnoxiousness of Montreal fans for the next decade worth it. 

• Like 1

So, Goaltending and D is a must, to do anything in the playoffs.

Canucks have Demko, so that's promising.  He's real good, and he could still become great.

I like Myers and Hamonic and hope they remain. Hughes is obviously the mobile star, but Rathbone also has a lot of skill and skates well. Will Juolevi ever be a regular on the Canucks? Whatever happens, I hope they can trade Schmidt and if they re-sign Edler, it's on the cheap and he's used as the #8.

Hughes - ??

?? - Myers

Juolevi - Hamonic

Rathbone

Edler

Thinking it might be nice to add more quality to the D depth with the #9 pick. 

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, Goaltending and D is a must, to do anything in the playoffs.

Canucks have Demko, so that's promising.  He's real good, and he could still become great.

I like Myers and Hamonic and hope they remain. Hughes is obviously the mobile star, but Rathbone also has a lot of skill and skates well. Will Juolevi ever be a regular on the Canucks? Whatever happens, I hope they can trade Schmidt and if they re-sign Edler, it's on the cheap and he's used as the #8.

Hughes - ??

?? - Myers

Juolevi - Hamonic

Rathbone

Edler

Thinking it might be nice to add more quality to the D depth with the #9 pick. 

And I want that dman at #9 to be thick. Height ok....but thick.

Also need a dman with a bomb....and I mean absolute cannon.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Cheers 1