The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Worst nickname ever!

Rate this topic

Dumb Nuck

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

There’s this thing called image, it’s why some guys get lucky more than others, in sports you want to cast a tough image, it makes a difference, ever hear “ keep your head on a swivel when so and so is on the ice”? That’s image and it alters the oppositions play. Why do you think players chirp, same reason. I’m sorry but huggy bear just doesn’t cut it in the NHL.

So everybody on the Knights is tougher than everybody on the Canadiens because a heavily armored feudal Warrior is tougher than a French settler?

The preoccupation with image to the point you need to constantly project how tough you are is the mentality of a teenager. Tough people don't talk about how tough they are. 

I think you're looking at it too narrowly. When I hear "Huggy Bear" I think of somebody with a good sense of humor and an amusing nickname. When I hear somebody wants to go by 'the Hawk' or something equally douchy I imagine somebody like Napoleon Dynamite wearing fingerless gloves threatening me with his ninjutsu skills. 

• Cheers 2

18 hours ago, McBackup said:

Huggy Bear is an awesome nickname. Its leagues better than just taking a syllable from a player's name  and altering it somewhat like 99% of hockey nicknames. (Millsy, Mysey, Petey, Hogs, Demmer, etc).

The nicknames that sound like some ferocious animal or badass warriors are really, really cringy in real life. They're something you'd call your toddler. They're absolutely patronizing to refer to an adult man. They may work for your D&D campaign or whatever, but I sure wouldn't want to be known as something like 'Falcon' or 'Viking' or 'XxNightpainxX'. I assume guys that legitimately want to be referred to by something like that are the same ones that won't shut up about their katana collection.

you mean like "Big Sexy"?

did you see Colbert the other noght, he did this thing about Safe Social distancing during an orgy.

He said he's been in showbiz for a while and has never seen an orgy.

so He figures the guy that put out the bulliten, puts it out and hopes he get invited to an orgy.

that's right, call me BIG sexy

best nickname stamming from one sylable change,,,, Twister

No one is calling this guy “Huggy Bear” on the ice. Doesn’t matter what the media or fandom think is an apt nickname. On the ice it’s going to be “Hugs” or “Huggy” or some variation of “Q”. One word. One syllable preferably or two at the most. 

No one on the Oilers in the 80’s ever uttered the phrase “ Nice dish, The Great One”. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/23/2021 at 8:46 PM, Dumb Nuck said:

I was just looking at some lists of worst hockey nicknames ever and came to the conclusion that IMHO it has to be Huggy Bear.

Sounds like he’s wearing diapers, at the very least makes the opposition laugh, terrible, terrible nick name.

Sad thing is it also reflects our soft, fun to play against style, maybe when he and the team finally gets some toughness we can call him Grizzly.

I also suggest Kermit for Travis’ nickname.

The amount of trash players talk to each other on ice... guaranteed some opposing players have made fun of Hughes using his nick name. 

Remember Kesler and Burr caught talking to Backes about his wife.. huggy bear is way to easy and players probably make fun and laugh at him. 

Horrible nick name for a NHL player. A game known for speed roughness toughness hitting and fighting. Then huggy bear jumps over the boards. Lol

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

The amount of trash players talk to each other on ice... guaranteed some opposing players have made fun of Hughes using his nick name. 

Remember Kesler and Burr caught talking to Backes about his wife.. huggy bear is way to easy and players probably make fun and laugh at him. 

Horrible nick name for a NHL player. A game known for speed roughness toughness hitting and fighting. Then huggy bear jumps over the boards. Lol

Lol, you and Dumb Nuck have obviously never played the game. You don't know anything about what happens in a game. No on ice moment is determined by a nickname. You need drive and power, desire, commitment, and fitness amongst other things. Not ideas about how to be an athlete, it's called work, not name calling. :picard: So weak in the brain, you also have to be strong willed. Like you guys really think calling someone names like you're 8 years old works in the NHL? Wow.

After re-reading your post maybe I was too harsh. I agree I'm sure they make fun but that's nothing. The way to really piss someone off is give them a nickname of your choosing like ratface (penis nose). That will piss people off, not using a name his teammates gave him out of love. Oh my god they're calling me my team nickname. I'm going to go score on my own net and jump off the Golden Gate :frantic: 

Edited by Gawdzukes

9 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Lol, you and Dumb Nuck have obviously never played the game. You don't know anything about what happens in a game. No on ice moment is determined by a nickname. You need drive and power, desire, commitment, and fitness amongst other things. Not ideas about how to be an athlete, it's called work, not name calling. :picard: So weak in the brain, you also have to be strong willed. Like you guys really think calling someone names like you're 8 years old works in the NHL? Wow.

After re-reading your post maybe I was too harsh. I agree I'm sure they make fun but that's nothing. The way to really piss someone off is give them a nickname of your choosing like ratface (penis nose). That will piss people off, not using a name his teammates gave him out of love. Oh my god they're calling me my team nickname. I'm going to go score on my own net and jump off the Golden Gate :frantic: 

When your team mates call you huggy bear I'm sure opposing players have a few laughs with it. 

If they Kesler and Burrows can question the character of an opposing players wife it's difficult to imagine they wouldn't make fun of huggy bear. 

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

10 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

When your team mates call you huggy bear I'm sure opposing players have a few laughs with it. 

If they Kesler and Burrows can question the character of an opposing players wife it's difficult to imagine they wouldn't make fun of huggy bear. 

True that but you need thick skin to play pro hockey. At the end of the day it's about life and lot of the players are friends and only dickheads take it off the ice. It's part of the game. Like I was stating earlier being called a nickname doesn't matter, if not Huggy Bear they would be calling him something worse like snot nose. Now I would hate that but it wouldn't stop me from being able to play hockey. You just obviously have never played high level before and don't know how it works. That's fine but its a nothing deal.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, zimmy said:

No one is calling this guy “Huggy Bear” on the ice. Doesn’t matter what the media or fandom think is an apt nickname. On the ice it’s going to be “Hugs” or “Huggy” or some variation of “Q”. One word. One syllable preferably or two at the most. 

No one on the Oilers in the 80’s ever uttered the phrase “ Nice dish, The Great One”. 

I guess nobody ever called Lindros "Next one" on the ice either, there have been a few guys that got stuck with that name.  Crosby and others.  

• Cheers 1

On 6/23/2021 at 10:08 PM, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Here are some NHL names

Ron Tugnutt

Cory Pecker who was drafted by the Flames 

Wacey Rabbit who was drafted by the Bruins.

Bill Quackenbush who played 1942 to 1956

Bob Beers

Par Djoos

Harry Dick 

Dave Snuggerud

Yutaka Fukufuji who was a goaltender drafted by the Kings 

I always thought Clayton Stoner and

Miroslav Satan were good ones

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup, also pro level coach who can see coaching through his tv and therefore pretends he knows a lick about hockey. Ha, what a joke.

You don’t need to be a pro level coach to recognize a bad coach and so far he’s proven me right, come back when he does something.

• Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Nope, never really played hockey but I have both played soccer and successfully coached it at higher levels.

17 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

There’s this thing called image, it’s why some guys get lucky more than others, in sports you want to cast a tough image, it makes a difference, ever hear “ keep your head on a swivel when so and so is on the ice”? That’s image and it alters the oppositions play. Why do you think players chirp, same reason. I’m sorry but huggy bear just doesn’t cut it in the NHL.

so you mean if we drop the Huggy Bear thing and call him Big Z he will grow to 6'9'' and 260 pounds

lets call him big Z

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, lmm said:

so you mean if we drop the Huggy Bear thing and call him Big Z he will grow to 6'9'' and 260 pounds

lets call him big Z

Remember the comment “we’re a fun team to play against” there’s a reason other teams see us that way and calling Hughes Huggy Bear is one of the straws on the camels back.

3 minutes ago, lmm said:

right so lets change from HuggyBear to Big ZEEand change from the Vancouver Canucks to the Vancouver VICOIUS VERMIN EATING VOLCANOS

then evryone will be scared to play here

and we will put nicknames on their backs

(in caps)

SCARFACE EVIL MAGICIAN BOA CONSTRICTER

PIERCING BLOW BRAUMA ROAD HOGG

SLASH HANGMAN RAZOR

HACK WHACK SMACK

BRICK WALL CRUSHER

GROUNDNPOUND FLESH EATER

MUGGER MAULER

THRASHER D

MIND GAMES

THATs a Stanley cup line up right there

Obviously you can’t see the big picture, as I’ve stated Huggy Bear is just a very small part of it so will changing just him nickname make us tougher, absolutely not but the fact they call him Huggy Bear is a reflection of our lack of toughness and why other teams love playing us. We will never win a Stanley Cup with a coach named Green or anyone nicknamed Huggy Bear.