The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Sportsnet 650 with Halford & Brough - June 24, 2021

Rate this topic

We have needed a stud defenseman for a long time.  We should take advantage of the expansion draft and acquire some talent from a team that will be forced to expose (ie Minny and Dumba....)

Tyler Myers does not need protecting....

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

5eetgz.jpg

I think Jim should've worded as "Need better players who can defend"...at least I hope that is what he meant

I agree with what Jim said, we have skill on the back end who can move the puck....that being said - they are on the small side and continually lost puck battles in the defensive zone. They lost a lot of battles on the boards and were physically overwhelmed in many situations. We do need some size back there, I know Myers and Edler (if re-signed) are big d-men who are physical - but if Edler isn't back we are lacking.  

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I'm on record as a JB supporter, but I'll say it - talk is cheap JB - a large part of this fan-base wants meaningful action and tangible improvements to the roster and the product on the ice.  Yes, the COVID season was a disaster and I'll be the first person to give everyone a pass on that season, but you're statement that "you will do what is necessary to make changes" is something we've heard before. 

We won't be making any significant changes until we rid ourselves of those contracts!!!!!!

We will need to be patient for one more year. 

What's in the mentality of LE    

Almost seems like spite for him to stick around instead of retiring. 

Those contracts aren't tradable imo 

• Hydration 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1
3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I hope Jim is looking for large defensemen who are especially annoyed and angered by opposing players who try to crash the crease. Would like to see some more aggressive defensemen who enjoy the more brutal part of defending.

they seem to be a bit of a dying breed though don't they? 

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, King Heffy said:

Manson or Parayko next offseason would be perfect.  I'd rather ride out our bad contracts to make a run at both of those guys.

Manson is especially physical.

• Vintage 1
1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

they seem to be a bit of a dying breed though don't they? 

That's what the slide rule kids would have us believe, Jimmy. We know better though.

• Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I hope Jim is looking for large defensemen who are especially annoyed and angered by opposing players who try to crash the crease. Would like to see some more aggressive defensemen who enjoy the more brutal part of defending.

I found it curious that Benning did not mention Myers in the quotes.

There aren't really that many UFA Dmen who fit that bill and who move the puck reasonably well.  I would be concerned if this leads the Canucks down the rabbit hole of acquiring a guy like Gudbranson again.  Gudbranson was decent in spurts but has clearly shown that his game is probably below league average even since leaving the Canucks (meaning it was not just a problem with the Canucks). 

UFAs that might fit the bill who actually played a reasonable amount of games last year and who might be at or above league average for puck movement might be:  David Savard, Adam Larsson, Patrik Nemeth, Travis Hamonic, Jamie Oleksiak, Zach Bogosian, Jani Hakanpaa, Tucker Poolman, Luke Schenn.  Some might below league average for skating but I recall Schenn being one of those guys who still found a way to move the puck effectively despite slower foot speed.

The issue, as is usually the case, is going to be cost.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2
7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Manson or Parayko next offseason would be perfect.  I'd rather ride out our bad contracts to make a run at both of those guys.

Im hoping woo will be ready to join the team by then. Be better to go for just 1 guy and save cap space if woo is a legit NHLer (crosses fingers)

• Hydration 1
Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Im hoping woo will be ready to join the team by then. Be better to go for just 1 guy and save cap space if woo is a legit NHLer (crosses fingers)

I'm hopeful he will be.  I was more excited for him then Hughes at the draft.

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That's what the slide rule kids would have us believe, Jimmy. We know better though.

we could use a d and f that can help create more of a pack mentality with the guys. Hell, thats what Perry is doing. 

• Vintage 2