The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Sportsnet 650 with Halford & Brough - June 24, 2021

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

I've also been a big supporter of JB, he's done an incredible job of assembling a young, talented core through the draft. I don't remember having this much young depth at any point in the history of this franchise.

I generally agree with a lot of the depth signings that he has done, although length of term has been a little excessive at times.

It is time for him to deliver a team that will be a regular in the playoffs, and I think that he would tell anyone who asks, the same thing!

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we could use a d and f that can help create more of a pack mentality with the guys. Hell, thats what Perry is doing. 

For sure. That permeates the Canadiens without a doubt. It's great to see Weber go after anyone who touches his young teammates. Sets the tone.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

I'm hopeful he will be.  I was more excited for him then Hughes at the draft.

I mean he kinda ticks all the boxes for what we want, tough, good defensively, right handed shot and already has chemistry with rathbone. If we get parayko at 8 mill id rather use that extra money saved to extend miller, boeser and horvat.

10 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I found it curious that Benning did not mention Myers in the quotes.

There aren't really that many UFA Dmen who fit that bill and who move the puck reasonably well.  I would be concerned if this leads the Canucks down the rabbit hole of acquiring a guy like Gudbranson again.  Gudbranson was decent in spurts but has clearly shown that his game is probably below league average even since leaving the Canucks (meaning it was not just a problem with the Canucks). 

UFAs that might fit the bill who actually played a reasonable amount of games last year and who might be at or above league average for puck movement might be:  David Savard, Adam Larsson, Patrik Nemeth, Travis Hamonic, Jamie Oleksiak, Zach Bogosian, Jani Hakanpaa, Tucker Poolman, Luke Schenn.  Some might below league average for skating but I recall Schenn being one of those guys who still found a way to move the puck effectively despite slower foot speed.

The issue, as is usually the case, is going to be cost.

He did mention Myers right after, as another guy who can skate the puck out. I dont think he classifies Myers in the same category as Hughes, Schmidt, and Rathbone though.   

• Thanks 1

Just now, Tom Sestito said:

We need defense first guys and he’s not one of them.

Agreed. With Huggy, Boner, and Schmidthead on the defense, the idea should be to acquire strong, smart stay at home defensemen who support the puck mover.

21 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Manson or Parayko next offseason would be perfect.  I'd rather ride out our bad contracts to make a run at both of those guys.

That is what we should do, wait out all the bad contracts and look to get some good FA's july 1st 2022. Problem is the Canuck GM is likely on thin ice and if he doesn't make changes to improve the team right away and see results early on in the season, he is likely getting fired...which should have already happened after last off seasons blunder!

So look for buyouts and trades moving bad contracts with picks or prospects attached. Then he can acquire a player for less than market value with the cap room and it will justify add a 2nd round pick to LE or Lind being taken by Seattle etc...I don't hold much confidence in what might transpire but I am glad to be wrong if he actually makes some bold moves and improves the team in multiple areas

4 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

Surprised by this comment: COVID was especially hard for the young SINGLE players. It must be from being alone. Hopefully this coming season things are better.

Coulda hired some prostitots to keep them company! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

That is what we should do, wait out all the bad contracts and look to get some good FA's july 1st 2022. Problem is the Canuck GM is likely on thin ice and if he doesn't make changes to improve the team right away and see results early on in the season, he is likely getting fired...which should have already happened after last off seasons blunder!

So look for buyouts and trades moving bad contracts with picks or prospects attached. Then he can acquire a player for less than market value with the cap room and it will justify add a 2nd round pick to LE or Lind being taken by Seattle etc...I don't hold much confidence in what might transpire but I am glad to be wrong if he actually makes some bold moves and improves the team in multiple areas

I think they are still high on Lind and dont wanna move him. Got the most chances by green and still has real good upside imo.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Agreed. With Huggy, Boner, and Schmidthead on the defense, the idea should be to acquire strong, smart stay at home defensemen who support the puck mover.

Key word is SMART! 

No Gudbransons!

Also need them to be legitimately young with 5-7 years of elite hockey left in them. 

Last year, our defense when healthy consisted of 5 30 year olds (Schmidt, Myers, Edler, Hamonic, Benn)! 

They absolutely can’t trade the pick for &^@#ing UFA in one year sam reinhart. We keep seeing young players on our team and every other team impact the NHL at a high level within their first 3 post draft seasons - ESPECIALLY at forward! They’re picking high enough that the player they yield should be able to do that. 

Young D or don’t trade the pick for a forward.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Im hoping woo will be ready to join the team by then. Be better to go for just 1 guy and save cap space if woo is a legit NHLer (crosses fingers)

Woo is probably going to be a slow burn.  2-3 years before he starts getting a sniff at NHL action.  He's only 20 now and I'm betting at around age 23 if he keeps training hard he will be close.  My crystal ball is known to be unreliable however.  

Key word is SMART! 

No Gudbransons!

I'm not of the mind that he's a moron. 

Also need them to be legitimately young with 5-7 years of elite hockey left in them. 

Well, that makes them harder to acquire. Defensemen age better than forwards usually, so a late twenties d-man can realistically play for another half a decade.

Last year, our defense when healthy consisted of 5 30 year olds (Schmidt, Myers, Edler, Hamonic, Benn)! 

Yes it did. 

They absolutely can’t trade the pick for &^@#ing UFA in one year sam reinhart. We keep seeing young players on our team and every other team impact the NHL at a high level within their first 3 post draft seasons - ESPECIALLY at forward! They’re picking high enough that the player they yield should be able to do that. 

Young D or don’t trade the pick for a forward.

I'd prefer to steer clear of the Reinhart sweepstakes and let him decide to sign here when he's a free agent for a hometown discount. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Angry Goose said:

Woo is probably going to be a slow burn.  2-3 years before he starts getting a sniff at NHL action.  He's only 20 now and I'm betting at around age 23 if he keeps training hard he will be close.  My crystal ball is known to be unreliable however.  

What the heck he was drafted in 2017 how can he still be 20 still THE MATH DOSENT ADD UP WHATS GOING ON??