The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Sportsnet 650 with Halford & Brough - June 24, 2021

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder if this is something we might see at the draft if Wallstedt is still available at 9:

To CHI: 9th, Holtby 50% retained

To Van: 12th, 64th, Zadorov 

I like that... Sticking point could be the %50 retained though.  Just one year.  Chicago could handle that and if holtby performs well, then offer a 2-3 year deal at lower aav... say 3.2 million?

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder if this is something we might see at the draft if Wallstedt is still available at 9:

To CHI: 9th, Holtby 50% retained

To Van: 12th, 64th, Zadorov 

I don't know much about him but the Hawks have a young undrafted goalie name Soderblom that some say has potential. Def not on the same level as Wallstetd.  To me serious consideration would need to be given to what Zadorov's next contract ask might be.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, appleboy said:

Players like Cole Caufield are why you use the 9th pick. 

Next year we will see Podkolzin and smile.  This kid has star written all over him.

Alexandre Daigle (sp), Jake Virtanen, Gudbranson and, and, and, are why you make the trade when there is someone available.

27 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I like that... Sticking point could be the %50 retained though.  Just one year.  Chicago could handle that and if holtby performs well, then offer a 2-3 year deal at lower aav... say 3.2 million?

I think we'd have to retain since CHI doesn't have much cap space, capfriendly showing only 6.2 mil for next year. 

25 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I don't know much about him but the Hawks have a young undrafted goalie name Soderblom that some say has potential. Def not on the same level as Wallstetd.  To me serious consideration would need to be given to what Zadorov's next contract ask might be.

yup. That close to 6 mil he is reported to have been asking for is not in the cards, from any team. He'd have to come down off of that. 

But this could be a deal that CHI and us work out ahead of time, incase there is someone at 9 CHI really wants and is still there. 

I could see us dropping to 12 if it brings in something Jim has stated he's looking for, a bigger meaner RHD. 

I guess its also possible that this deal could be done before the draft if Jim's willing to expose Myers. 

37 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Alexandre Daigle (sp), Jake Virtanen, Gudbranson and, and, and, are why you make the trade when there is someone available.

Petey, Hughes, Boeser, Horvat, Hoglander and Demko say you draft.

Podkolzin and Rathbone will be the next one's.

Now, if you can land a 22/23 year old star defenseman who is signed for a reasonable cap for a few years. If you can land this for the 9th. Then sure.

Other wise, you need to draft your own.  There is some good potential latter in the first round. If there isn't someone who they like at 9th maybe they can flip their 9th for 22nd and 24th. Double their chance to develop a solid D man.

It very seldom works when you try to rush things. 

Edited by appleboy
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

He is moving the 9th overall pick. Don’t even look at mock drafts or research players cause we aren’t touching that thing. In the past what? 10-15 years? There hasn’t been too many GMs stupid enough to move a top 10 pick but here we are guys.

Let’s get a NHL ready player, ready to sign a big contract. 

this interview literally made me sick.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mll said:

Samuel Morin is a forward now - they converted him ahead of the season.   He's also a UFA. 

That was a failed experiment...he was moved back to defence.  AV apparently likes Morin a lot.  Didn't realize Morin was a UFA...maybe a target?  Kid can throw them with the best of them.

• Huggy Bear 1

44 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Now, if you can land a 22/23 year old star defenseman who is signed for a reasonable cap for a few years. If you can land this for the 9th. Then sure.

Other wise, you need to draft your own.  There is some good potential latter in the first round. If there isn't someone who they like at 9th maybe they can flip their 9th for 22nd and 24th. Double their chance to develop a solid D man.

Have heard good things about Clarke but haven't seen him play...unless he drops then the Canucks should definitely pick a foward at #9. If some good D can be had later in the draft then trading back for 3 plus picks would be worth it (not sure I would do for two unless a #22 and #26 scenario as you suggest). Best move is likely to try and aquire some more 2nd round picks and pick D in the 2nd.

I think a lot of people are counting Edvinsson completely out. He might be a little raw right now, but with Brad Shaw now with the team, why not take a chance on this kid? He's got NHL size already and projects as a top pairing Dman.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

Not rushed. I, unlike you, think that bubble Canucks are a better representation of where the team is at then this past season. I think we need a few finishing details and the sky is wide open. 

Also, this past season there are likely to be more busts or misses as the scouts and leagues didn't work like usual.

If we could get a 3 or 4c and a tough D and Beagle comes back we could be good. However, seeing that Kane is on the market, I would love to get him and that tough D. 

Imagine a line of

Miller - Petty - Kane

Podz - Horvat - Hogs

1 hour ago, Convincing John said:

He is moving the 9th overall pick. Don’t even look at mock drafts or research players cause we aren’t touching that thing. In the past what? 10-15 years? There hasn’t been too many GMs stupid enough to move a top 10 pick but here we are guys.

You and so many others on here love to cry wolf. Wow! 

How triggered were you when we got JT Miller?

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think we'd have to retain since CHI doesn't have much cap space, capfriendly showing only 6.2 mil for next year. 

I shouldn’t be so lazy and just go check myself but does that include Seabrook? I wonder if Toews will be able to play next year? 

47 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Top 10 pick acquired by trade in last 15 years:

2007 9th OA

2008 5th OA

2008 7th OA

2008 9th OA

2010 2nd OA

2011 8th OA

2011 9th OA

2012 8th OA

2013 9th OA

2014 10th OA

2017 7th OA

2019 4th OA

2020 3rd OA

Well it has become less common as we've moved futher along in the salary cap era it is still not that weird to see a top 10 pick moved with 13 traded in the last 15 years. If you expand the criteria slightly to the top 15 you end up with 40 picks traded out of 255 picks thats 15.7% of all top 15 picks in the last 15 years.

• Cheers 4