The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Sportsnet 650 with Halford & Brough - June 24, 2021

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

18 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Not rushed. I, unlike you, think that bubble Canucks are a better representation of where the team is at then this past season. I think we need a few finishing details and the sky is wide open. 

Also, this past season there are likely to be more busts or misses as the scouts and leagues didn't work like usual.

If we could get a 3 or 4c and a tough D and Beagle comes back we could be good. However, seeing that Kane is on the market, I would love to get him and that tough D. 

Imagine a line of

Miller - Petty - Kane

Podz - Horvat - Hogs

You mean Evander Kane?  I think he’d be great with Petey.  SJS wouldn’t expect much in return either.  W3 should be able to dump one year of Loui on them to take on the four years of Evander.  

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Not rushed. I, unlike you, think that bubble Canucks are a better representation of where the team is at then this past season. I think we need a few finishing details and the sky is wide open. 

Also, this past season there are likely to be more busts or misses as the scouts and leagues didn't work like usual.

If we could get a 3 or 4c and a tough D and Beagle comes back we could be good. However, seeing that Kane is on the market, I would love to get him and that tough D. 

Imagine a line of

Miller - Petty - Kane

Podz - Horvat - Hogs

While I think Kane would be a perfect addition to the top six, and would pound anyone who goes after Pettersson, where did Boeser go?

44 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Top 10 pick acquired by trade in last 15 years:

2007 9th OA

2008 5th OA

2008 7th OA

2008 9th OA

2010 2nd OA

2011 8th OA

2011 9th OA

2012 8th OA

2013 9th OA

2014 10th OA

2017 7th OA

2019 4th OA

2020 3rd OA

Well it has become less common as we've moved futher along in the salary cap era it is still not that weird to see a top 10 pick moved with 13 traded in the last 15 years. If you expand the criteria slightly to the top 15 you end up with 40 picks traded out of 255 picks thats 15.7% of all top 15 picks in the last 15 years.

Would remove the ones that were traded before knowing what number the pick would be.  Moving a top-10 pick has a different cost than moving a 1st thinking it would be a late pick - eg Ottawa never expected to give up 4th overall for Duchene.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While I think Kane would be a perfect addition to the top six, and would pound anyone who goes after Pettersson, where did Boeser go?

Kane would be an intriguing addition but I wonder if his legal and financial problems may restrict his ability to move back to Canada.  This isn't a personal jab at Kane just a practical consideration.  Questions about Kane playing out his contract have been around since the end of last offseason when news about his bankruptcy filing emerged.

4 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Kane would be an intriguing addition but I wonder if his legal and financial problems may restrict his ability to move back to Canada.  This isn't a personal jab at Kane just a practical consideration.  Questions about Kane playing out his contract have been around since the end of last offseason when news about his bankruptcy filing emerged.

Didn't think about that. Good point. By the way, I can't see how this consideration you speak of is a jab at Kane. He made those decisions. That's on him.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, JamesBlondage said:

I shouldn’t be so lazy and just go check myself but does that include Seabrook? I wonder if Toews will be able to play next year? 

I think so on Seabrook. Who knows with Toews.

Edited by Jimmy McGill

2 hours ago, Convincing John said:

He is moving the 9th overall pick. Don’t even look at mock drafts or research players cause we aren’t touching that thing. In the past what? 10-15 years? There hasn’t been too many GMs stupid enough to move a top 10 pick but here we are guys.

Let’s get a NHL ready player, ready to sign a big contract. 

this interview literally made me sick.

I'd cry if he traded the pick. Canucks just aren't deep enough.

Only 2 ways to improve depth, draft well and draft often or sign UFAs.

UFAs come with overspending. A bad trend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angry Goose said:

?

Calm down.  He didn't day he's moving the 9oa.  He simply laid out the conditions for a trade IF one were to happen.  

He made no mention of acquiring a younger player coming out of the ELC either.  It's no wonder people whine and cry so much when it comes to JB because half the time they can't listen properly

to me it sounded like he is not that interested in moving the pick...maybe I am over reading the situation but sounds like he does not expect to be given the player he wants in the trade for this pick.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Canucks Curse said:

to me it sounded like he is not that interested in moving the pick...maybe I am over reading the situation but sounds like he does not expect to be given the player he wants in the trade for this pick.

If we do move the pick it will be on the draft floor, because Benning prefers the trade to the prospects left available.  I’m kind of hoping Wallstadt falls to nine, and we can swap firsts with a team who really wants him.  Then we can add a second too.  Maybe we get Ceulemans with that later first, and have two seconds?  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

interesting comparison is the 9OA for Cory Schneider trade- Cory was ready to be a no 1 goalie with about 100 nhl games and 10 playoff games under his belt...that was the value for 9OA back then and of course, we selected Bo Horvat- now that was a strong draft year but McTavish seems like a similar player and the hype is now that he is perhaps gone by 9OA.

1 minute ago, Canucks Curse said:

interesting comparison is the 9OA for Cory Schneider trade- Cory was ready to be a no 1 goalie with about 100 nhl games and 10 playoff games under his belt...that was the value for 9OA back then and of course, we selected Bo Horvat- now that was a strong draft year but McTavish seems like a similar player and the hype is now that he is perhaps gone by 9OA.

And in this flat cap era those high first rounders, where the picks are expected to contribute while on their ELCs, are even worth more than back then.  

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

And that's the reason why I'm well-stocked on booze - because the mother-in-law owns the place we live in and is also an occupant of the place we live in... :shock: ...and I'm not even the one who has issues with her every waking hour!

comedy central drinking GIF by Drunk History

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Happy wife, happy life, right?  When they get the arguments going, nothing tastes better than the drink that knocks me out.  :wub:

Slainte! Slowly fading away into that sweet sweet haze of boozy nectar is a great feeling when the back and forthing is happening. 

Drunk Head First GIF by Barstool Sports

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

And that's the reason why I'm well-stocked on booze - because the mother-in-law owns the place we live in and is also an occupant of the place we live in... :shock: ...and I'm not even the one who has issues with her every waking hour!

My Mother-in-law is from Toronto, via Calgary.  Huge Leafs and Flames fan.  Sadly she hates snow and cold and much prefers our winters.  

image.png.f2a4d76cad1192f2d7b43a2f4ce46157.png

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Top 10 pick acquired by trade in last 15 years:

2007 9th OA

2008 5th OA

2008 7th OA

2008 9th OA

2010 2nd OA

2011 8th OA

2011 9th OA

2012 8th OA

2013 9th OA

2014 10th OA

2017 7th OA

2019 4th OA

2020 3rd OA

Well it has become less common as we've moved futher along in the salary cap era it is still not that weird to see a top 10 pick moved with 13 traded in the last 15 years. If you expand the criteria slightly to the top 15 you end up with 40 picks traded out of 255 picks thats 15.7% of all top 15 picks in the last 15 years.

Please, 97.62% didn’t know they were trading away a top 10 pick. But go ahead and unfold the perfect blanket for the rushing rebuild picnic. It’s all about setting the tone improving the optics. If you know you have a 9th overall pick, you don’t trade it. Why? Because your team sucks a$$$ and when your team sucks you need to build a core through the draft. When your team is awesome, you can trade a 1st to make immediate improvements. 

I honestly don’t even care. The bigger he screws up, the sooner his is gone, and the sooner we can start over. 

• Haha 3
  • RoughGame 2

2 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Imagine a line of

Miller - Petty - Kane

Podz - Horvat - Hogs

We do not want Kane.  Ever! 

The bubble Canucks were not real.

We do not have the cap space to spend on big UFA tickets .

• Thanks 1