The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Sportsnet 650 with Halford & Brough - June 24, 2021

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

52 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Actually 9 of those picks were traded within a week of the draft or at the draft. And what's the problem if we trade it for a Erik Cernak or Cal Foote. Both are young, on cheap contracts and would only help add to our depth at a position of need. But hey don't let facts get in the way of a good hate ;)

Cal Foote? Done & did. Sign me up for that in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2021 at 10:43 AM, CJ44 said:

I agree with what Jim said, we have skill on the back end who can move the puck....that being said - they are on the small side and continually lost puck battles in the defensive zone. They lost a lot of battles on the boards and were physically overwhelmed in many situations. We do need some size back there, I know Myers and Edler (if re-signed) are big d-men who are physical - but if Edler isn't back we are lacking.  

I think OJ slides in for Eddie just fine at a budget saving price.  He's faster, a better first passer, and hopefully will regain the 20 pounds he lost with Covid and add some size and strength as well this summer.  Before he was stricken by Covid, he was looking like a solid stay-at-home guy who could lay a good hit, won board battles, blocked shots, and could add some offense.  As much as I love Edler and everything he has done for this team, it's time that we opened spots for our younger players to develop with the rest of our young core.

QH - Hamonic or another RHD UFA (which will be a tall order)

OJ - Schmidt

Rathbone - Myers

Breezer - Chatfield

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

11 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Cal Foote? Done & did. Sign me up for that in a heartbeat.

Foote would be cheaper for the lightning to keep since he dont have much leverage for a raise. I wonder if they think he could take over for cernak if canucks offered their 1st or something else for him. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I think OJ slides in for Eddie just fine at a budget saving price.  He's faster, a better first passer, and hopefully will regain the 20 pounds he lost with Covid and add some size and strength as well this summer.  Before he was stricken by Covid, he was looking like a solid stay-at-home guy who could lay a good hit, won board battles, blocked shots, and could add some offense.  As much as I love Edler and everything he has done for this team, it's time that we opened spots for our younger players to develop with the rest of our young core.

QH - Hamonic or another RHD UFA (which will be a tall order)

OJ - Schmidt

Rathbone - Myers

Breezer - Chatfield

Yeah i wouldnt mind if we give more ice time for jouveli. Besides one bad play at the end of the year i didnt think he was horrible on the defensive end. Still has good size and young. Unless we have to give him up for a bigger deal i hope we keep him.

Edited by Bertuzzipunch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

9 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

So we are wanting to add some beef to the D core eh...thought we had someone already to slot into that role by the name of Nikita Tryamkin, but I digress!

8 hours ago, tas said:

should they have dragged him across the ocean at gunpoint?

No.  Just don't lowball him so badly he'd make more in Russia factoring in the taxes and living expenses.  JB was too butt hurt by a younger more immature version of Nikita who he saddled with a xenophobic coach when he first arrived that he decided a long time ago to let him wither on the vine, despite JBs pretending to still be working on signing him every off season.

Yup, size is a skill.  Even a moderately skilled D, but with size, elevates their value.  Especially in the playoffs.  Even if JB had offered him a price above what he thought he was worth, (which he sure doesn't seem shy about doing with other acquisitions) and brought him over, assuming he hadn't screwed up the cap so badly,  he'd have been able to trade him easily.

If JB didn't want this, someone else would have...

NHL-CANUCKS-BLUE

nikita-tryamkin-fights-jamie-benn-ben-ne

vancouver-canucks-v-nashville-predators-

Edited by kilgore
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Foote would be cheaper for the lightning to keep since he dont have much leverage for a raise. I wonder if they think he could take over for cernak if canucks offered their 1st or something else for him. 

Unless they have a side deal in place with Seattle they will lose one of Cernak or Foote. I don’t really see them moving either one unless they have a way to keep the other. Even at that they will probably want to make it part of a larger trade to move money. 

4 minutes ago, kilgore said:

No.  Just don't lowball him so badly he'd make more in Russia factoring in the taxes and living expenses.  JB was too butt hurt by a younger more immature version of Nikita who he saddled with a xenophobic coach when he first arrived that he decided a long time ago to let him wither on the vine, despite JBs pretending to still be working on signing him every off season.

Yup, size is a skill.  Even a moderately skilled D, but with size, elevates their value.  Especially in the playoffs.  Even if JB had offered him a price above what he thought he was worth, and brought him over. (assuming JB hadn't screw up his cap so badly),  he'd have been able to trade him easily.

If JB didn't want this, someone else would have...

NHL-CANUCKS-BLUE

nikita-tryamkin-fights-jamie-benn-ben-ne

vancouver-canucks-v-nashville-predators-

The player has to be totally committed to being a Canuck too though.  Tree, although gifted with great size and skill, really wasn’t committed to being a Canuck.  

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, mll said:

Would remove the ones that were traded before knowing what number the pick would be.  Moving a top-10 pick has a different cost than moving a 1st thinking it would be a late pick - eg Ottawa never expected to give up 4th overall for Duchene.

Spot on... was thinking the same thing...

Huge difference moving a top 10 pick, when knowing its a top 10 pick, to making a trade involving a 1st round pick, not knowing when the pick will be....

34 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Unless they have a side deal in place with Seattle they will lose one of Cernak or Foote. I don’t really see them moving either one unless they have a way to keep the other. Even at that they will probably want to make it part of a larger trade to move money. 

incorrect, pretty sure the TB GM said he would protect 4D or maybe they would expose McDonaugh to alleviate some cap issues then find a cheap UFA LHD to fill a role on the D all while giving Sergachev more minutes?

2 hours ago, FaninMex said:

We will see in a few months.

This years Canucks were not real either. It is some where in the middle. There is no way that they will clear enough cap space for next year. 2022/2023 they will have the cap space back in order. 

Unless they do something stupid this year that sets them back again.

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The player has to be totally committed to being a Canuck too though.  Tree, although gifted with great size and skill, really wasn’t committed to being a Canuck.  

Then trade him. Preferably after at least one full season over here. Or his rights at least.

IMO the "wasn't committed" part is pure conjecture. Stoked on by local sports jocks.  According to his agent he was always hoping to rejoin the Canucks. Had his twitter image in a Canuck jersey for a long time after he left. Probably not now.

We will never know if he matured and would have understood how he has to earn his way onto the team etc...

I just would have liked all the questions surrounding him to have been tested here. Lets get beyond the accusations and predictions and see for ourselves. I really don't think it would be that much of a loss if we paid him 2 x 2, or whatever he would have signed for, and he didn't work out as we'd hoped. He's still proven he can play in the NHL, and uses his size well, better than Myers. I have no doubt another team would have taken him as part of a trade.  At least get SOMETHING for him for petes sake. 

Its not a huge deal in the grand scope but its another of the many drips, in the constant drip drip drip of value draining the team, leaving JB with even less options.  Its just dumb. And even dumber with a big D like Tram on a team such a soft team as ours. All I know is that watching games with Tram in them back then, other teams played waaaaaay more tentatively when he was on the ice.  What if he had actually worked out great here? We'll never know now.

2 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Actually 9 of those picks were traded within a week of the draft or at the draft. And what's the problem if we trade it for a Erik Cernak or Cal Foote. Both are young, on cheap contracts and would only help add to our depth at a position of need. But hey don't let facts get in the way of a good hate ;)

Cal Foote? Are you high? I watched that loaf of bread play in Kelowna. Why would he even come up in a 9th OA conversation. There are probably 7 d in this draft with better upside than that potato. And Cernak hey? You know we are picking 9OA at the max cap right. Wth is Tampa gong to take back in salary. This isn’t EA sports dude. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

43 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Then trade him. Preferably after at least one full season over here. Or his rights at least.

IMO the "wasn't committed" part is pure conjecture. Stoked on by local sports jocks.  According to his agent he was always hoping to rejoin the Canucks. Had his twitter image in a Canuck jersey for a long time after he left. Probably not now.

We will never know if he matured and would have understood how he has to earn his way onto the team etc...

I just would have liked all the questions surrounding him to have been tested here. Lets get beyond the accusations and predictions and see for ourselves. I really don't think it would be that much of a loss if we paid him 2 x 2, or whatever he would have signed for, and he didn't work out as we'd hoped. He's still proven he can play in the NHL, and uses his size well, better than Myers. I have no doubt another team would have taken him as part of a trade.  At least get SOMETHING for him for petes sake. 

Its not a huge deal in the grand scope but its another of the many drips, in the constant drip drip drip of value draining the team, leaving JB with even less options.  Its just dumb. And even dumber with a big D like Tram on a team such a soft team as ours. All I know is that watching games with Tram in them back then, other teams played waaaaaay more tentatively when he was on the ice.  What if he had actually worked out great here? We'll never know now.

I do think trading Tree’s Rights would have been an option.  But then players do talk, as do agents, and maybe other teams knew Tree preferred to live and play at home, unless he was getting a fairly hefty contract?  

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Cal Foote? Are you high? I watched that loaf of bread play in Kelowna. Why would he even come up in a 9th OA conversation. There are probably 7 d in this draft with better upside than that potato. And Cernak hey? You know we are picking 9OA at the max cap right. Wth is Tampa gong to take back in salary. This isn’t EA sports dude. 

I didn't want to say it but I agree with Foote comment. I was wondering why they were playing Schenn over Foote if he was a good young talent. Not someone yu give up a 9th for. 

That sounds like a forth round pick.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

I didn't want to say it but I agree with Foote comment. I was wondering why they were playing Schenn over Foote if he was a good young talent. Not someone yu give up a 9th for. 

That sounds like a forth round pick.

Foote is kind of a slow lumbering skater, who thinks the game at that level too.  There are reasons why young D like Foote and Fabbro (who have hyped resumes) aren’t playing in important games.  They really aren’t that good.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Convincing John said:

Starchy comment.

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, 4petesake said:

My buddies say that watched him in kelowna and he played like a baked potato 

• Cheers 1