The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Sportsnet 650 with Halford & Brough - June 24, 2021

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

6 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Yeah, like Schenn when he was here. You rough up Hughes, Petey, anyone, he was right there. To me, that's how I learned to play hockey, and that's what any team needs. 

I appreciated Schenn when he was here. Hamonic has stood up for Hughes, as has Horvat. Would prefer to have some bigger players to bring the heat.

• Cheers 4

29 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Yeah, like Schenn when he was here. You rough up Hughes, Petey, anyone, he was right there. To me, that's how I learned to play hockey, and that's what any team needs. 

Montreal's showing the league how valuable that kind of defenseman can be.  Personally I love those guys and hope we move towards that style.  You absolutely need a couple of big guys willing to clear the crease like Myers, although I wish he was meaner.  Can't coach size.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

47 minutes ago, BPA said:

So let's talk about how JB likes Miller at C and wants 3 good scoring lines. 

So he's wanting at least one top 6/9 winger to fill the void. 

What about a trade with CHI?  Alexander Nylander + Zadorov for 1st 2021 + OJ + Lind (too much???).

Massive overpayment by the Canucks, Nylander was injured all season and Zadorov is likely exposed or enticed to be taken in the expansion draft.

If Chicago wants to move Connor Murphy on D I would have interest but that is doubtful. Maybe you can buy low on Strome, not sure if he would do well as a #3C or if he is better off being a winger but he might be had for cheap

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Yeah, and I want to give Woo a chance. He plays aggressive, can contribute to the offense, hit and stand up for himself, and teammates. 

Couldn’t agree more, I would hate to see him traded away unless it was for a slightly older RD. I’m not sure what he’ll turn out to be but he might well be a younger version of some of the names that pop up as trade targets. I want to see how Shaw develops these kind of prospects.

• Cheers 1

Defensemen that fit that criteria and are either a UFA or a RFA (trade possibilities)

Right Handed - UFA

David Savard - 30, 2020/2021 Cap Hit $4,250,000

Adam Larsson - 28, 2020/2021 Cap Hit $4,166,666

Travis Hamonic - 31, 2020/2021 Cap Hit $1,250,000

Left Handed - UFA

Ryan Murray - 28, 2020/2021 Cap Hit $4,600,000

Jamie Oleksiak - 28, 2020/2021 Cap Hit $2,137,500

Alex Edler - 35, 2020/2021 Cap Hit $6,000,000

RFA's

Vince Dunn - 24

Nikita Zadorov - 26

Considering we probably need two defensemen, which two would be your pick?

• Thanks 1

He said that they would need a really good young player who is playing in the NHL to move the 9th.   Hopefully young means 21/22.  Most teams won't need to move players like that because they won't need to be protected. Use the pick. 

The biggest need for this team is defensive players. Bottom six and on defense. You don't move a 9th overall pick for a defensive D man. Tampa is playing Luke Schenn. We have enough mobility on our backend. We need big stay at home help back there. 

Every year the UFA market has some decent role players that can be scored for the bottom six. We shall soon know what they are thinking.

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Dumba is not the D we're looking for.

Insert Obi Wan meme here.

Using the ED as a pressure point, if we can trade for a Mayfield, Foote, Jensen etc... Great.

Otherwise (or as well) we have guys like Hamonic, Larsson, Savard, Hakanpaa, Oleksiak or Ceci we can target as UFA's.

Then next year, when we have cap opening up, we can target big fish like Parayko, Risto, Lindholm etc.

It's not all going to get fixed this summer.

"This is not the D you are looking for"

Jedi Master Yoda Istanbul, Turkey - January 9, 2016:Close up shot of Jedi Master Yoda, a fictional character in the Star Wars space opera franchise created by George Lucas, first appearing in the 1980 film The Empire Strikes Back. yoda stock pictures, royalty-free photos & images

Edited by appleboy
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, laddie said:

Defensemen that fit that criteria and are either a UFA or a RFA (trade possibilities)

Right Handed - UFA

David Savard - 30, 2020/2021 Cap Hit $4,250,000

Adam Larsson - 28, 2020/2021 Cap Hit $4,166,666

Travis Hamonic - 31, 2020/2021 Cap Hit $1,250,000

Left Handed - UFA

Ryan Murray - 28, 2020/2021 Cap Hit $4,600,000

Jamie Oleksiak - 28, 2020/2021 Cap Hit $2,137,500

Alex Edler - 35, 2020/2021 Cap Hit $6,000,000

RFA's

Vince Dunn - 24

Nikita Zadorov - 26

Considering we probably need two defensemen, which two would be your pick?

RHD: Larsson or the cheaper option likely being Hamonic

LHD: Oleksiak, walk from Edler unless its 1yr 1m, no more handout retirement big $ contracts please!!!

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Couldn’t agree more, I would hate to see him traded away unless it was for a slightly older RD. I’m not sure what he’ll turn out to be but he might well be a younger version of some of the names that pop up as trade targets. I want to see how Shaw develops these kind of prospects.

You are bang on. Some of these posters are willing to trade the farm before we even have a chance to see what is possible. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, appleboy said:

He said that they would need a really good young player who is playing in the NHL to move the 9th.   Hopefully young means 21/22.  Most teams won't need to move players like that because they won't need to be protected. Use the pick. 

The biggest need for this team is defensive players. Bottom six and on defense. You don't move a 9th overall pick for a defensive D man. Tampa is playing Luke Schenn. We have enough mobility on our backend. We need big stay at home help back there. 

Every year the UFA market has some decent role players that can be scored for the bottom six. We shall soon know what they are thinking.

I'd be fine with an appropriately talented 23 year old. That said, I think we likely keep the pick. I'd even be ok possibly trading up to 6 if Clarke (or Hughes) is still there.

I'd move 9th OA for a more defensively oriented Cernak (though it's unlikely they move him IMO).

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

We could see something where a lower pick is moved in a deal with a team because of the ED. 

Yea no reason we can’t swing another 3rd round pick for a decent player.

Probably the best value in those players.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He did mention Myers right after, as another guy who can skate the puck out. I dont think he classifies Myers in the same category as Hughes, Schmidt, and Rathbone though.   

My mistake.  I haven't been able to listen to the actual interview.

Would have been surprised if the Canucks didn't protect Myers.  Would have thought that was the main reason for acquiring Bowey.

30 minutes ago, appleboy said:

You absolutely move the 9th overall for a strong defensive defenseman who's still young, and that's coming from a guy who's opposed to moving the pick.