The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Sportsnet 650 with Halford & Brough - June 24, 2021

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

If they decide to draft for position and focus on the defense. 

Edvinsson

Clarke

Ceulemans

Lambos

Chayka

Schmidt

These guys could all be with in their reach. They may even be able to trade down for one or two of them.

I also like the thoughts of adding a player like Samuel Helenius.

Edited by appleboy

2 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

We need a physical D man that can actually defend like Mayfield or Cernak. A dman like Gudbranson only has size, cant defend so how will that improve our D? We need reliable D to partner with Hughes not just size. If they only lool for size, then its really easy to find that although they would probably be ECHL level in defense.

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

I rather Juolevi develop in AHL and Benning look for a top 4 or perhaps a top pairing D that can be physical. Is there anyway to take advantage of cap strapped teams like TB or NYI to get a Mayfield or a Cernak??

I think my point is quite clear. I believe we're both stating the same thing.

Yes I strongly believe OJ needs a full pro season in Abby to reach his full potential.

I'm saying he's not ready this season. Especially with the D roster we're trying to build. 

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I've heard that Jones will not sign an extension with any team that trades him. His intent is to reach free agency, so trading for him, at least to me, is a bad idea. He's also pretty average from a defensive standpoint. 

Matthews for Jones.  Fixes Toronto's cap, helps their terrible defense, and gets Columbus a top center with more term.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Matthews for Jones.  Fixes Toronto's cap, helps their terrible defense, and gets Columbus a top center with more term.

Jones will help Toronto create more offense from the blue line, but the word on his is that he's not that great at preventing goals.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Depends on what you mean by low risk. 

I'm not sure it's low risk by any definition.  Terrible person, and can't play a lick of defense.  You're looking at a guy who's as bad as Pouliot in his own zone with the character issues of Messier.  

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Depends on what you mean by low risk. 

Means if he screws up we can easily get rid of him. Whats the buyout for a million dollar contract? If he plays like he has and becomes a good teammate well we might have struck gold without giving up any assets

edit: wouldnt he be the perfect person for the sedins to mentor? Isnt this  one of the main reasons they were hired?

Edited by Bertuzzipunch

18 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I rather Juolevi develop in AHL and Benning look for a top 4 or perhaps a top pairing D that can be physical. Is there anyway to take advantage of cap strapped teams like TB or NYI to get a Mayfield or a Cernak??

Is Juolevi waiver exempt?  At this point I think it’s NHL or he will be picked up by another team.

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Means if he screws up we can easily get rid of him. Whats the buyout for a million dollar contract? If he plays like he has and becomes a good teammate well we might have struck gold without giving up any assets

DeAngelo sounds like a complete ass, and a locker room problem.  

• Cheers 2

59 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea no reason we can’t swing another 3rd round pick for a decent player.

Probably the best value in those players.

Why would a team prefer to lose 2 players for only a 3rd round pick vs just losing 1 to Seattle.   

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

DeAngelo sounds like a complete ass, and a locker room problem.  

Well ppl always deserve a 2nd chance. I think the sedins can really help him. Would suck if  someone gave him a chance and turned out to be a hell of a player. Why cant we be the ones that straighten him out?

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Why would a team prefer to lose 2 players for only a 3rd round pick vs just losing 1 to Seattle.   

Agreed.  Getting one of these guys who are likely going to Seattle, will require the return to be better than the player left on that team that is likely to go to Seattle.  It will need to be a higher pick, like a second, and a prospect who (of course) doesn’t need ED protection.  

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Because some teams have more than a couple decent players that need to be exposed.

Might as well get a pick for a player they think will get chosen than none.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

edit: wouldnt he be the perfect person for the sedins to mentor? Isnt this  one of the main reasons they were hired?

They were hired to learn hockey ops, not babysit locker room cancers who are defensive liabilities.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1