The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Sportsnet 650 with Halford & Brough - June 24, 2021

Rate this topic

25 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I am certainly not an expert on NHL Defence, but I thought OJ was really solid last year.  I thought he played well positionally and I don't think I saw him make a bad pass.  I can't say the same for all the other Canucks d.  I don't get why he played so little and why so many people are seemingly down on OJ.  He is ready to go.  He needs to be given more consistent responsibility to really flourish.

You are right there, I think it’s easier playing 20 minutes a night and being in the rhythm of the game then playing 10-12 minutes a night.  Hopefully kid gets the chance here.

• Hydration 2

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

Some teams might want to get something great for a player they think Seattle will get for free. A player that has a high chance of being the next Marchessault or Tuch. Now if they trade the best player available to Seattle to another team for a high pick and a prospect, you will then expose a lesser player to get picked for free. For example if Canucks had to expose Pettersson and Miller, do you think they would let seattle take Pettersson for free? Hell no, not even if they have more than one great player to protect.

Market value is not the same as getting only a 3rd round pick which was the post I was responding to.  There's this belief that teams will trade good players on the cheap ahead of expansion.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We don’t want this guy.  He’s a moron.  There’s nothing courageous about being a racist jackass.  What would show courage on his part would be to learn and grow as a person, and challenge those in his circle of friends/family from who he learned to be such an ass.  

I don't disagree at all, but there's a lot of guys who are more than willing to clean his clock as a result of his bigotry.  Regarding moral courage, he has none.  I wouldn't take him at league minimum.

• Hydration 4

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Market value is not the same as getting only a 3rd round pick which was the post I was responding to.  There's this belief that teams will trade good players on the cheap ahead of expansion.

A good player might fetch even a high 1st this year. So teams like TB and NYI that have many good players exposed to Seattle will definitely try to offload the best player exposed for high picks and prospects. This is where Jim Benning will take advantage of ED, similar to how he got JT Miller. I trust Benning in these type of situations because he usually makes out like a bandit :P

• Hydration 1

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I hope Jim is looking for large defensemen who are especially annoyed and angered by opposing players who try to crash the crease. Would like to see some more aggressive defensemen who enjoy the more brutal part of defending.

Couldn't agree more. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Benning knows his sheeit. The way to win is with a constant attitude of “we will win”, a steady constant stream of good talent that can be used to bolster the roster with not only people that will play on the team (but also can be used to acquire other roster pieces). 

The goal is to be competitive every year. The way to do that is through the draft, and nurturing/sheltering the players you pick so we/they all succeed.

2 minutes ago, Bure2Win said:

If they don't make the playoffs next season Benning will be gone.

And your point is what exactly?  When we make the playoffs next year Benning gets a four year extension?  

These hockey guys want to have the best possible reputation, so they can get another job.  If they make changes that others perceive as in their personal interest ahead of the team’s best interest, they will not get another job.  

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Means if he screws up we can easily get rid of him. Whats the buyout for a million dollar contract? If he plays like he has and becomes a good teammate well we might have struck gold without giving up any assets

edit: wouldnt he be the perfect person for the sedins to mentor? Isnt this  one of the main reasons they were hired?

are the Sedins the most over-rated mentors since Sickie Wifebeater

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentors_(band)

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

A good player might fetch even a high 1st this year. So teams like TB and NYI that have many good players exposed to Seattle will definitely try to offload the best player exposed for high picks and prospects. This is where Jim Benning will take advantage of ED, similar to how he got JT Miller. I trust Benning in these type of situations because he usually makes out like a bandit :P

Jim traded for Miller, Schmidt, Pearson, Sutter, Leivo, Toffoli, Motte, Spooner, Gudbranson, Bonino, Prust, Dorsett, Baertschi. Vey

How do you get usually or bandit out of that group?

Miller and Schmidt are the only 2 that even remotely meet this criterion

On 6/24/2021 at 4:17 PM, Bure2Win said:

If they don't make the playoffs next season Benning will be gone.

If they had a season like Calgary with the offseason they had, you might be right or Green will be replaced by Shaw.

JB better not make the same cap mismanagements again.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Hydration 1

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Montreal's showing the league how valuable that kind of defenseman can be.  Personally I love those guys and hope we move towards that style.  You absolutely need a couple of big guys willing to clear the crease like Myers, although I wish he was meaner.  Can't coach size.

So annoyed that tryamkin didn't back himself and come over here to see if he has what it takes to be an nhler. 

• Hydration 1