The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Swagger - Which current player has the most?

Rate this topic

BabychStache

With the Twins back in the fold, it has me thinking about when the Canucks turned the corner around 2008/9. Sundin coming in really seemed to give the Twins the last bit of confidence needed to take the step to elite level. In addition there was a trio of youngsters with buckets of Swagger. Bieksa, Kesler, and Burrows arguably formed the most hated trio in the NHL at the time. Confidence that would often cross into Cocky territory. It was a great compliment to the Elite level talent with the Twins and Luongo. 

So with this current team, who has the most Confidence/Swagger?

JT?

Bo?

Boeser?

Petey?

I really don't know. The high end talent is there, but are we missing that last little something? 

I'll admit, I wasn't able to watch as many games this past year as I hoped for, but I like what I see in Chatfield and Lind. 

• Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Swagger and character don't seem to mix too well. 

That's far oversimplified though. A person can be extremely confident in their abilities, cocky even, but still be high character outside of when they are on the ice.

1 minute ago, 'NucK™ said:

That's far oversimplified though. A person can be extremely confident in their abilities, cocky even, but still be high character outside of when they are on the ice.

Yeah, fair enough. I'd like to see more swaracter or chagger from the Canucks players. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Petey has an odd mix of swagger and humility. Brock is just pure humility. Miller might have some, but he also really beats himself up for mistakes.

If you’ve watch Petey’s twitch streams he is a little awkward of a person. Soft-spoken. He didn’t rage at video games as much as Gaudette did though. 

I feel like Petey & Schmidt are like 99% of the way to having "true" swagger. They usually have it, but then at the slightest of things not going their way, they seem to lose it. And the whole point of really having swagger is that you don't let that happen and come out the shift after a mistake the same as you would a shift after a goal. 

Maybe there is too much pressure from the coaching staff to play a mistake free game? Obviously, no one likes mistakes, but sometimes the best way to avoid mistakes is by letting players play without the pressure on their shoulders of what will happen if they do make one. 

Sorry for the ramble, just thinking out loud here pretty much..

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Petey for me right now.  But maybe Hogs as he gains confidence.  

Bo definitely not.  Miller is more of a hot head.  Boeser is more the Prince Charming type.  

Pete has swagger. He's just to much of a beanpole to be taken seriously