The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Swagger - Which current player has the most?

Rate this topic

BabychStache

Petey.  After he uncorks a one-timer or when he hits back seemingly above his weight class.

Sure hope we had someone like Gaudette still, those cellies were something.  Hopefully Hoglander can take be that guy though, esp. if he starts trying more lacrosse goals (come to think of it, seeing how he's the only guy on the team who's even gotten that he already ranks high in swagger IMO).

4 hours ago, BabychStache said:

With the Twins back in the fold, it has me thinking about when the Canucks turned the corner around 2008/9. Sundin coming in really seemed to give the Twins the last bit of confidence needed to take the step to elite level. In addition there was a trio of youngsters with buckets of Swagger. Bieksa, Kesler, and Burrows arguably formed the most hated trio in the NHL at the time. Confidence that would often cross into Cocky territory. It was a great compliment to the Elite level talent with the Twins and Luongo. 

So with this current team, who has the most Confidence/Swagger?

JT?

Bo?

Boeser?

Petey?

I really don't know. The high end talent is there, but are we missing that last little something? 

I'll admit, I wasn't able to watch as many games this past year as I hoped for, but I like what I see in Chatfield and Lind. 

Chatfield is the most useless player ever.  Swagger means nothing when you constantly get outmuscled,  caught out of position, and play with zero intensity. 

JT has swagger.  

Juice had the most.  

Hoglander?

Justin Bailey during his brief appearance where he played like he was full of piss and vinegar before Green benched him (for reasons that I'm not entirely sure of).

Hughes and Rathbone should get nods as well.  Maybe Highmore and Motte as well?

Edited by Patel Bure

15 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Hoglander?

Justin Bailey during his brief appearance where he played like he was full of piss and vinegar before Green benched him (for reasons that I'm not entirely sure of).

Hughes and Rathbone should get nods as well.  Maybe Highmore and Motte as well?

It was Milan Lucic that "benched" Bailey  -   Green was just an innocent bystander

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

It was Milan Lucic that "benched" Bailey  -   Green was just an innocent bystander

The year before when Bailey got called

up.  That’s what I was talking about.  He has this one shift where he literally sprinted down the ice at insane speed.   Greener didn’t play him much after that though.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

The year before when Bailey got called

up.  That’s what I was talking about.  He has this one shift where he literally sprinted down the ice at insane speed.   Greener didn’t play him much after that though.

Ah yes - I remember that.  Sorry, I thought you were referring to last season

• Cheers 1

For me, there are different types of swagger.

Some (Reaves) have that annoying chirpy, make baby faces, cocky, arrogant in your face stuff.  Bully because of their size swagger.  It's gross.

Petey's is a subtle, "I know I can do this if I work on it" confidence that isn't brash and over the top.   Skilled swagger that is awesome because even he seems a little surprised, at times, at what he can pull off.  He walks with his head high for a reason...because he works his butt off to be the best.  That's an endearing and admirable swagger for me.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Maybe I'm associating swagger with physicality a bit too much. 

My bad 

Does swagger have anything to do with physicality really? Not to me.... all about those silky mitts and not being afraid to try the unexpected 

On 6/25/2021 at 8:01 AM, debluvscanucks said:

Mac's got a bit of swagger too.   Laughed at him during the prospect game, jawwing at the other bench.

image.png image.png

One of my favourite players for sure.

Mac for sure .  Love what he can bring potentially.   Has the tools and character to be a leader for us some day.

• Cheers 1

Different guys have different swagger on this team

Bo is the the boss man captain and is in control of the team in this respect.

Petey has the swagger for he has game.

Miller has the swagger in confidence

on and on it goes. 

Maybe the best all around goes to Podz for what little I know of him because he seems like he has a lot going for him and will take the team by the reigns.