Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rule changes eg. Trapezoid must go!

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

:metal:There are some silly rules that need to be changed!  What do y'all think and which ones you'd like to address! The Trapezoid is just ridiculous! Plus get the referees to apply the rules in a consistent manner and the abuses players are getting away with in the playoffs but the ticky tack ones could be ignored!  Say yall! 

100039100390_207452.jpg

Edited by DelChristensen
  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Disagree. Eliminating the trapezoid makes the game much more boring by killing a lot of the dump and chase plays. The goaltender easily makes it to the puck first, can't be hit and softly plays the puck out, tennis-style. This eliminates a lot of puck battles in the corners and thus potential offence.

 

Eloquently coined, "The Martin Brodeur Rule".

Edited by Drive-By Body Pierce
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Disagree. Eliminating the trapezoid makes the game much more boring by killing a lot of the dump and chase plays. The goaltender easily makes it to the puck first, can't be hit and softly plays the puck out, tennis-style. This eliminates a lot of puck battles in the corners and thus potential offence.

 

Eloquently coined, "The Martin Brodeur Rule".

It also leads to defencemen getting mashed in the corners and thus worn out / injured.

 

Just because a couple (now retired) goalies were really good at it doesn't mean it shouldn't be gone. Watching Luongo handle the puck 'frequently' would have made for butt-clenching excitement and force goalies to actually be better at it or stay in the net.

 

Look at Price - he's really good at it and it forces teams that play ONE WAY to figure out how to play differently. Or lose.

 

Mike Smith is 'good but overconfident' at it - he screws up and it's hilarious.

 

Now I like hitting, and think our team doesn't do enough of it on the forecheck with the trapezoid in place. But I also like players who have their own set of skills being able to use them, and a reduction in injuries. With the hybrid icing being what it is, I think the trapezoid's purpose has somewhat gone the dodo as well - a close icing call would mean the goalie 'plays it' in the old days and guys would go extra hard (into the wall, usually) trying to beat the play.

 

Fewer injuries is better for the game.

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, brownky said:

It also leads to defencemen getting mashed in the corners and thus worn out / injured.

 

Just because a couple (now retired) goalies were really good at it doesn't mean it shouldn't be gone. Watching Luongo handle the puck 'frequently' would have made for butt-clenching excitement and force goalies to actually be better at it or stay in the net.

 

Look at Price - he's really good at it and it forces teams that play ONE WAY to figure out how to play differently. Or lose.

 

Mike Smith is 'good but overconfident' at it - he screws up and it's hilarious.

 

Now I like hitting, and think our team doesn't do enough of it on the forecheck with the trapezoid in place. But I also like players who have their own set of skills being able to use them, and a reduction in injuries. With the hybrid icing being what it is, I think the trapezoid's purpose has somewhat gone the dodo as well - a close icing call would mean the goalie 'plays it' in the old days and guys would go extra hard (into the wall, usually) trying to beat the play.

 

Fewer injuries is better for the game.

The onus should be on the players to not inflict unnecessary injuries. Players don't have to destroy others in the corners to enable more offence. And were the goaltenders allowed to play the puck in those zones, more would practice it and improve...not just some "retired" goaltenders.

 

If you want to take out injuries by reducing the plays that skaters can make, might as well not let them carry the puck behind the net...or up through the neutral zone and access the offensive blue line, where the bone crushing open ice hits occur. #NoHittingLeague

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would simply like to see that they actually make an effort to enforce the rules which already exist in a consistent, unbiased manner - that's it, that's all. 

 

The officiating this year in the regular and post season has been borderline incompetent - and I cannot accept COVID as an excuse for it. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I would simply like to see that they actually make an effort to enforce the rules which already exist in a consistent, unbiased manner - that's it, that's all. 

 

The officiating this year in the regular and post season has been borderline incompetent - and I cannot accept COVID as an excuse for it. 

The only borderline I see is whether it's incompetence or corruption.  Either way, the officiating has not even approached an acceptable standard.

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

High-sticking double minor.  With today hockey stick, that rule is way past his time.  Nowadays, it's not the how hard you hit the other guy, it's where you hit him.  A soft shot right on the lips can cut you easier than a hard one on the chin.  These hockey are so light and thin.  If it's an aggravated high-stick should just be a major.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd like to see no line change for the penalized team after a penalty. They already start the play in the penalized teams end like an icing, why not go whole hog?

 

I agree with the over the glass icing change too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

take away the trapezoid rule or alter it so that the goalie loses his immunity from getting hit in the zone, if the goalie wants to try and play it in the corner, he better keep his head on a swivel. 

I like that over the glass rule, treated like icing... defensive zone face-off and no line change.

Any even close to hit to the head, either by stick, elbow or anything should be reviewable on the spot. I'm sick of some teenager having a pimple popped due to a glancing blow to his visor and the ensuing blood cause for a double minor or the dreaded 5 and a game. plus any player to have recieved said head shot should AUTOMATICALLY have to go to the quiet room to be tested. again, I'm tired of players getting hit in the head, the perpetrator given a major penalty but the victim is right out 10 seconds later on the power play.

rules that I like the way they've been changed:

 icing - hybrid icing.... far less injuries from hard charges trying to negate them.

 off side- the change to part of you has to be over the imaginary blue line extended upwards... a lot more black and white.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the Trapezoid should stay, but I do think there should be interference penalties called if a goalie impedes a player in pursuit of the puck, behind the net.

 

Goalies speed up the game overall, when they are able to go out and play the puck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have to disagree with the puck over the glass reduced to an icing scenario. The reason the rule was initiated in the first place was because players were intentionally flipping it out of play to prevent a potential loss of the puck in their own zone and thus slowing play down. Though icing is also an intentional attempt to prevent the opposition from gaining control in the other team’s zone, it can blocked (or undone in race for the puck) and thus the play continues to flow.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

I have to disagree with the puck over the glass reduced to an icing scenario. The reason the rule was initiated in the first place was because players were intentionally flipping it out of play to prevent a potential loss of the puck in their own zone and thus slowing play down. Though icing is also an intentional attempt to prevent the opposition from gaining control in the other team’s zone, it can blocked (or undone in race for the puck) and thus the play continues to flow.


I have to agree with you on this. As much as I hate the ticky-tack nature of the ice over the glass penalty I think it’s worse to have guys just flicking the puck out of play any time they’re  under pressure, specially on the penalty kill. 

  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I enjoy a good gaffe, and appreciate it when a player is good at something (Broduer), they shouldn't be punished for it - also not sure why a roaming goalie shouldn't be fair game for a hit ... how about allowing the goalie go anywhere, including past centre ice if he wants, but once he's past the trapezoid he's also fair game.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/26/2021 at 6:14 AM, IBatch said:

I enjoy a good gaffe, and appreciate it when a player is good at something (Broduer), they shouldn't be punished for it - also not sure why a roaming goalie shouldn't be fair game for a hit ... how about allowing the goalie go anywhere, including past centre ice if he wants, but once he's past the trapezoid he's also fair game.   

I agree.  Also a goalie is more heavily padded, less chance of injury?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...