The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SCF: (2) Tampa Bay Lightning vs. (4) Montreal Canadiens | Lightning win 2021 Stanley Cup

Rate this topic

2021 Stanley Cup Final  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Stanley Cup?

• Lightning in 4
    • Lightning in 5
    • Lightning in 6
    • Lightning in 7
    • Canadiens in 4
    • Canadiens in 5
    • Canadiens in 6
    • Canadiens in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/2021 at 12:00 AM

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Kudos to the Habs on a great run.

Just wasn't 'meant to be'.

Great team imo - that ran into a greater team.

Tampa just has that depth right to the bottom.

They simply turn you back, quickly and often.

Always a pair of top 4 defensemen on the ice - really, an unreal blueline top to bottom (no need for them to hang onto Foote :bigblush:)

Hard to crack that.

Not sure how you're supposed to beat a team like that without everything coming together for you.  The Habs just had no 'puck luck', seemed like their top two D played well, but were unable to be the threats (on the point, shooting the puck) that they can otherwise be (when healthy), their young centers did get exposed at times, and some of their depth didn't manage to step up in the Final....

Still - such a terrific postseason ride.  Really wish Carey Price could have lifted that Cup (and Gallagher, Weber)  - but maybe another year.....

This was the Habs/Price/Webers one shot at a cup. I think Montreal just had really good timing with their injuries and getting players back at the right time. I said that to my buddy back at the beginning of May that Montreal was going to get healthy at the right time and go deep. 

I would agree Montreal did not have much puck luck in the finals and I really hate to use the "blame the reffs" card. But I think the Reffing was quite lopsided. Tampa was getting all the calls their way from the NYI series to the end. If they werent getting calls their way, nothing was getting called on them and it was quite obvious. Montreal battled garbage reffing from the VGK series to the end. I feel strongly about the way the last 2 rounds were reffed, it made it seems as if the NHL and Hairy Buttman had a clear motive and that was for an exciting VGK vs TBL finals. There is nothing flashy or "exciting" about MTL or NYI, they both play such tight structured, grind you down and wear you out styles of hockey. 

Also I feel like TBL was very, VERY lucky all post-season. Even if you remove the reffs from the equation, they got extremely lucky on countless bounces and other teams like FLA and CAR had terrible puck luck. Plenty of crossbars, posts, open nets missed and then Vasiline standing on his f***ing head all season and all post season. I feel like FLA should have won the 1st round and deserved a better fate. They played better and seemed like they controlled the play moreso. Carolina was a short but same story, coulda gone either way, it was just a couple bad goals that wrapped that series up. 

I hate Montreal and Im still pi$$ed about the crap Tampa "got away" with or was "missed"

anyway, whatever. Time to buckle up for the drafts and the offseason. Should be a good one.

4 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

This was the Habs/Price/Webers one shot at a cup. I think Montreal just had really good timing with their injuries and getting players back at the right time. I said that to my buddy back at the beginning of May that Montreal was going to get healthy at the right time and go deep. 

I would agree Montreal did not have much puck luck in the finals and I really hate to use the "blame the reffs" card. But I think the Reffing was quite lopsided. Tampa was getting all the calls their way from the NYI series to the end. If they werent getting calls their way, nothing was getting called on them and it was quite obvious. Montreal battled garbage reffing from the VGK series to the end. I feel strongly about the way the last 2 rounds were reffed, it made it seems as if the NHL and Hairy Buttman had a clear motive and that was for an exciting VGK vs TBL finals. There is nothing flashy or "exciting" about MTL or NYI, they both play such tight structured, grind you down and wear you out styles of hockey. 

Also I feel like TBL was very, VERY lucky all post-season. Even if you remove the reffs from the equation, they got extremely lucky on countless bounces and other teams like FLA and CAR had terrible puck luck. Plenty of crossbars, posts, open nets missed and then Vasiline standing on his f***ing head all season and all post season. I feel like FLA should have won the 1st round and deserved a better fate. They played better and seemed like they controlled the play moreso. Carolina was a short but same story, coulda gone either way, it was just a couple bad goals that wrapped that series up. 

I hate Montreal and Im still pi$$ed about the crap Tampa "got away" with or was "missed"

anyway, whatever. Time to buckle up for the drafts and the offseason. Should be a good one.

it tends to play out that way.

you need a number of things to win a Cup.

one of them tends to be the balance of the 'luck'.  When a team as good as Tampa has 'fortuna', they're tough to beat.

Also need to remain relatively healthy.

While your players rise to the occassion...

I'm not going to start into the officiating at this point - the league remains bush in that sense imo - doesn't dignify the quality of talent on the ice imo.

Unfortunately, it's a hockey corporation, so don't hold your breath expecting it to change.

15 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

Habs had a good run they just weren’t able to play their game against Tampa.I enjoyed following it this post season.On to next season.

GO CANUCKS.

Tampa just too deep.  There isnt a team in the game that wouldve beat that team.  Vegas might have a shot next year.  And maybe Avs if they can get a bit more depth up front.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Did Vasilevsky use over sized gear? 

Screenshot_20210709_042550.jpg

Shot angle but also an explanation from goalie Louis Domingue.  Vasy actually wears one of the smallest chest protectors ("plastron" - Bauer chest) available but he wears it outside his pants while Price tucks his inside.  

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

*points to the salary cap*

"Nope!" :)

Also full capacity vs limited capacity.

Sorry Barclay, there’s no way you belong in the same breath as the other great dynasty teams.

Covid cup champs that is all.

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Also full capacity vs limited capacity.

Sorry Barclay, there’s no way you belong in the same breath as the other great dynasty teams.

Covid cup champs that is all.

This Tampa team was the best team of the salary cap era, and I don't think it's even close.

You have a Hart/Art Ross forward, arguably the best defenseman in the league, and arguably the best goalie in the league. Then you have multiple 20-goal scorers in the bottom-6, and a 3rd D pairing (Sergachev/Savard) better than any other team's 2nd pairing. It was friggin ridiculous.

I think the only reason they weren't more dominant was that they did it twice in only what...10 months? That's crazy! Last year's Conn Smythe winner played hurt the whole playoffs. But he still was fantastic.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

This Tampa team was the best team of the salary cap era, and I don't think it's even close.

Did they have a salary cap? Didn’t seem like it.

Would have been nice for the Canucks to add a couple 9 million dollar players for their run. I think they would have beat the Bruins in 4.

This is what I found after much relentless and exhausting research (OK maybe I was just noodling around on Reddit and came across it) to find out how Tampa spent the cap money they gained when they put Kucherov on LTIR.

BCA3BC9F-B619-49BE-A0AE-9CFFB1AE19FF.jpeg