The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SCF: (2) Tampa Bay Lightning vs. (4) Montreal Canadiens | Lightning win 2021 Stanley Cup

Rate this topic

2021 Stanley Cup Final  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Stanley Cup?

• Lightning in 4
    • Lightning in 5
    • Lightning in 6
    • Lightning in 7
    • Canadiens in 4
    • Canadiens in 5
    • Canadiens in 6
    • Canadiens in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/2021 at 12:00 AM

12 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

I don’t see how they cheated. They played within the rules of anything they deserve a reward. Canucks use the same methods to help with cap issues. Tampa has done it better than any other team up to this point.

The Canucks (and others) also found loopholes and are now being retroactively penalized for it... I know LTIR gets used by all the teams, but Tampa was ~$20m over the cap. Kucherov coming back just in time for game one, and looking like he's been ready for a while.

25 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

That was probably the difference in the series and I’ll bet it’ll never happen to him ever again, bad luck or Devine intervention?

I agree, Vegas was rolling and that miracle/gift, flustered the Knights.  June is ending; and I wonder, if the Habs can keep the lucky/hot steak going.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

6 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

The Canucks (and others) also found loopholes and are now being retroactively penalized for it... I know LTIR gets used by all the teams, but Tampa was ~$20m over the cap. Kucherov coming back just in time for game one, and looking like he's been ready for a while.

That’s true. He definitely looked ready! The Luongo penalty was bull$&!#! Everyone knows it. 

12 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Mostly agree but only the Canucks are being penalized with cap recapture penalty.  Other teams were able to make a deal with the league office to avoid the penalty (although, I haven’t really looked too deep on this issue but from the surface only the Canucks are being penalized).

It would be interesting to see, if the league will close this loop hole (?).

Thanks Loungo, the greatest REGULAR SEASON goalie in Canucks history.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

3 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Mostly agree but only the Canucks are being penalized with cap recapture penalty.  Other teams were able to make a deal with the league office to avoid the penalty (although, I haven’t really looked too deep on this issue but from the surface only the Canucks are being penalized).

La, NJ, Florida and Vancouver all have cap recapture penalties 

13 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

La, NJ, Florida and Vancouver all have cap recapture penalties 

I will do my deep dive into it then - thanks for the recap (no pun intended) of the teams.   

Teams affected by the cap recapture penalty:

Florida - 1+ million for one more year

NJ - 250 K for four more years

LA - currently nothing

Canucks - 3+ million for one more year

It seems the Canucks is the one team that have really felt the brunt of the penalty.  I remembered reading somewhere that the Devils did some dealing to with the league to make the amount irrelevant.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I will do my deep dive into it then - thanks for the recap (no pun intended) of the teams.   

Teams affected by the cap recapture penalty:

Florida - 1+ million for one more year

NJ - 250 K for four more years

LA - currently nothing

Canucks - 3+ million for one more year

It seems the Canucks is the one team that have really felt the brunt of the penalty.  I remembered reading somewhere that the Devils did some dealing to with the league to make the amount irrelevant.

The amounts are all calculated the exact same way. It’s based on the amount of cap space saved by structuring the contracts atbecwsyvtgey were divided by the number of years left when the poster stopped playing.  There was an amendment last summer that capped the amount a team could be penalized  per season to the equivalent of the AAV of the player whose contract was in question. The overall penalty wasn’t reduced. 

Luongo’s recapture hit could have been worse if he waited another season or 2 to retire.  

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

It would be interesting to see, if the league will close this loop hole (?).

I don't think the NHL is going to do anything about this to be honest. Going over the cap during the playoffs mean better players in the roster and could lead to higher ratings.  

42 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Habs has a good run but i don't see how they can get past Tampa 

Bolts in 5

This is probably going to be similar to the Pens vs Preds Finals 

Literally almost every pundit said the exact same thing when Montreal eliminated Winnipeg and was moving on to face Vegas. I’m not willing to write off Montreal when the islanders were able to take Tampa to 7. Montreal’s goaltending has been way better than the Islanders and their Pk has been miraculous.  Montreal has a legit shot at taking it.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I don't think the NHL is going to do anything about this to be honest. Going over the cap during the playoffs mean better players in the roster and could lead to higher ratings.  

Yeah, Bettmans preferred teams are not being affected so no change will happen - all is well !

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Literally almost every pundit said the exact same thing when Montreal eliminated Winnipeg and was moving on to face Vegas. I’m not willing to write off Montreal when the islanders were able to take Tampa to 7. Montreal’s goaltending has been way better than the Islanders and their Pk has been miraculous.  Montreal has a legit shot at taking it.

If they remain hot and the bounces continues to go there way then they will have a good chance.  The team is built on a good goaltending performance.and coached to grind it out with the other team; although, if the Bolts take advantage of there chances (by scoring first) then this will be a short series (just like how the Canucks beat the Blues in last years playoffs).  Imo, the Habs is playing a very similar system to the NJ Devils championship teams: well coached defensively, stud defenseman(s) and  elite goaltending.   

These games will come down to who will score first, which makes the least mistakes and which goalie will make the right save at the right time.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

48 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Yep but Tampa is a different beast. I just checked the Top point producers in the playoffs the 4 out of the top 5 come from the bolts. As for Goaltending Price and Vasilevskiy look pretty event. I am not sure Price can withstand the fire power of the Bolts.

Edited by iinatcc

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

The amounts are all calculated the exact same way. It’s based on the amount of cap space saved by structuring the contracts atbecwsyvtgey were divided by the number of years left when the poster stopped playing.  There was an amendment last summer that capped the amount a team could be penalized  per season to the equivalent of the AAV of the player whose contract was in question. The overall penalty wasn’t reduced. 

Luongo’s recapture hit could have been worse if he waited another season or 2 to retire.  

Regardless, of the process the figure against the Canucks is having a real affect on the team, whereas, with Fla & NJ the value is very minimal.  Good thing, this coming season is the last year of the penalty and we can move on from Loungo.

Bottom line: the league could had just closed the loop and moved on but Bettman decided to remind everyone who's boss.

Edited by ShawnAntoski