The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SCF: (2) Tampa Bay Lightning vs. (4) Montreal Canadiens | Lightning win 2021 Stanley Cup

Rate this topic

2021 Stanley Cup Final  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Stanley Cup?

• Lightning in 4
    • Lightning in 5
    • Lightning in 6
    • Lightning in 7
    • Canadiens in 4
    • Canadiens in 5
    • Canadiens in 6
    • Canadiens in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/2021 at 12:00 AM

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah we're not hearing much out of Donnie and Dhali about having regrets about picking Podkolzin :picard: out of all the dumb crap in the media this year that has to be #1 on the list. 

Yup.  There’s a reason why Mighty Mouse fell in the draft.  Heavier, faster, tougher guys playing hard hockey force CC to the perimeter.  It’s the Mitch Marner effect.  Except the Leafs are paying Marner 11 per!  :lol:

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

$18m over the cap... let that sink in. 

That's Kucherov and Stamkos level players over the cap. 

A Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin over the cap. 

A Rantanen and Mackinnon. 

A Carey Price and Shea Weber.

That is unbelievable.  Anybody that doesn't see the blatant huge advantage this Tampa team has over the Canadiens simply has their head in the sand and is in complete denial.

Leafs were (are) heavy into LTIR and way over the cap too.  How did they do against the Habs?  TBay has a very skilled team, but their skill can play hard and mean too.  The difference isn’t the cap; it’s the toughness in the skill players.  

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Leafs were (are) heavy into LTIR and way over the cap too.  How did they do against the Habs?  TBay has a very skilled team, but their skill can play hard and mean too.  The difference isn’t the cap; it’s the toughness in the skill players.  

That's fine, but if the Habs did the same thing and were able to add two superstars to their current roster, would it be 3-0 series for Tampa right now?  Let's talk about the top 2 teams in the playoffs right now.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Totally agree Alf. I have been surprised at how badly the Habs d-core has lost body position on so many plays, especially in front of the net. Neutral zone was pretty much owned by TBay. Experience counts as well. TBay has that in spades and the Habs who have relied on their younger core do not. Price had to steal that game last night and wasn't able to. 

• Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  There’s a reason why Mighty Mouse fell in the draft.  Heavier, faster, tougher guys playing hard hockey force CC to the perimeter.  It’s the Mitch Marner effect.  Except the Leafs are paying Marner 11 per!  :lol:

the kids got a great shot and will get his regular season points tho. The one player that has surprised me a bit is Suzuki, he looks to be legit. But he's also got about 40 lbs on mini me. 

If I were a Habs fan, I'd be probably most disappointed in Anderson. I can see why CBJ wasn't upset to move him. 

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

man I hope Podkolzins game can translate here. I bet he's the top prospect other GMs are calling us about. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's fine, but if the Habs did the same thing and were able to add two superstars to their current roster, would it be 3-0 series for Tampa right now?  Let's talk about the top 2 teams in the playoffs right now.

Bergevin has made some costly roster errors tho that play into what we're seeing. Sergachev e.g. would look pretty damn good for them right now. Anderson has been ineffective on the score sheet. Not sure they really needed Allen, its not like he was ever going to start a playoff game. Where's Tatar?

So there are a number things squarely in MTLs control that are making a difference here that have nothing to do with Tampa's LTIR. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Skill is great for players. But I'm concerned with players like Hughes, Hoagy, and possibly Rathbone. Petey is tall, and lanky, but as he gets older he will fill out.

Hoagy at least plays bigger than his size, and like Gallagher he has little fear. Rathbone is a shade taller than Hughes but is 15 lbs. heavier. 

The team is ok on skill, and speed. But we're a little weak on size. I think teams understand that, and take advantage of it. Podz will help, but I think we're going to need some fast, and physical players so that the Canucks have a good balance. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Skill is great for players. But I'm concerned with players like Hughes, Hoagy, and possibly Rathbone. Petey is tall, and lanky, but as he gets older he will fill out.

Hoagy at least plays bigger than his size, and like Gallagher he has little fear. Rathbone is a shade taller than Hughes but is 15 lbs. heavier. 

The team is ok on skill, and speed. But we're a little weak on size. I think teams understand that, and take advantage of it. Podz will help, but I think we're going to need some fast, and physical players so that the Canucks have a good balance. 

McTavish maybe? 

• Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm ok with that. If Samuel Helenius is still around in the second round, grab him. 6'6" 201lb. centre. 

yeah that second round is going to be interesting for sure, assuming we still have the pick :P lots of good C and RHD options 30-60.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, playboi19 said:

Tampa is on another level of cheating the Cap.

I don't care if we run over Alf multiple times in his wheelchair if it means *we* win a Cup.:ph34r:  OK, I was kidding about running over Alf in the wheelchair.

(run him over multiple times when his not in his scooter :P)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I don't care if we run over Alf multiple times in his wheelchair if it means *we* win a Cup.:ph34r:  OK, I was kidding about running over Alf in the wheelchair.

(run him over multiple times when his not in his scooter :P)

I have a scooter. :frantic:

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

The difference isn't the Lightning toughness lol. 

It's that they've got skilled enough forwards to get past the big slow 70 era Dmen the Habs have on their team. 

Actually, IMHAO, TBay has toughness in their top skilled players that the Habs don’t.  Heck, the Avs, the Leafs, and a lot of teams lack the toughness in their top skilled guys that TBay has.  The Islanders did well against TBay because guys like Barzel played with an edge.  Sorry, but munchkins like Caufield need to have toughness of character, or they become a liability in hard hockey.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Lightning are showing us, speed kills, not necessarily size.

Who are the best skaters in the Draft? (acceleration, quickness, edges, etc) - excluding Power and Beniers

Clarke

Edvinsson

Eklund

Hughes

Lysell

??

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Lightning are showing us, speed kills, not necessarily size.

Who are the best skaters in the Draft? (acceleration, quickness, edges, etc) - excluding Power and Beniers

Clarke

Edvinsson

Eklund

Hughes

Lysell

??

Speed that is both skilled and hard to play against.  Who on your list is hard to play against?  

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

McTavish has to be #1 for me.  He checks a lot of boxes.

this sounds useful to me in the playoffs:

One thing that sets McTavish’s offensive game apart from other skilled players in the draft is that he is far more physical.

“It’s not that he dominates in the small area game with dazzling 10-bell manoeuvres, swashbuckling his way through defenders,” said Burke. “It’s that he courts contact, using it as a means to create space. His ability to weaponize physicality and manipulate defenders is so advanced for a player this age.”

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/should-the-canucks-draft-mason-mctavish-3927710