The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade or Keep the pick

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

Trade or Keep the pick OMG  

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, shiznak said:

From an organization standpoint we should keep the pick. However, I’m guessing Benning’s tenure as GM is on a very short leash from the owners. He’s only made the playoff twice in his 7 years, and time isn’t on his side, atm.

He should make this pick available.

Marc Bergevin is on his 9th year as the Montreal GM.  He could have been fired this summer.

Jim (7 years) said give us two more years.  Rebuilds take nine years.  :)

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/marc-bergevins-vision-proves-worth-seeing-through-192237265.html

Bergevin is the Grimm Reaper.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-canadiens-gm-marc-bergevins-suit-of-death-is-a-becoming-a-very-real-thing-205333224.html

6 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Marc Bergevin is on his 9th year as the Montreal GM.  He could have been fired this summer.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/marc-bergevins-vision-proves-worth-seeing-through-192237265.html

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-canadiens-gm-marc-bergevins-suit-of-death-is-a-becoming-a-very-real-thing-205333224.html

Yeah, just like Poile and other long tenured GM'S they were given the opportunities to stay due to there teams gradual improvements over time - so they each earned that opportunity by making alot more good decisions vs the bad.   

From the outside, it seems Aquaman is trusting JB to bring the Canucks there first cup (?).

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

Keep the pick as we will need more effective players on ELC’s followed by cap friendly bridge deals.   

While 2022-2023 should be a “cap bliss” for us in terms of the money that will be off the books + the elite talents that we will be able to bring in, we will also have to be mindful of the following in the years following:

-Boeser extension

-Horvat extension

-Miller replacement (I don’t think the Canucks will extend him once his contract expires)

-Hoglander post ELC

-Podkolzin post ELC

Especially in that 22-23 season, if we can draft well in this draft, then having a high impact player in 22-23 who is on an ELC will be a HUGE advantage.   I get the feeling that we are going to end up with Kent Johnson (whom I would be fairly happy with), but my hope is that a guy like Dylan Guenther drops to us as other teams prioritize drafting Centers and Dmen.

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Obviously it depends on what is being offered. If we get offered the 31st pick for the 9th you wouldn't do it. If we get offered McDavid at 50% retained for the 9th, Loui, Jake, Roussel, and the Luongo recapture, you do it.

Those examples are obviously hyperbolic but they make the point. You don't trade the pick for the sake of trading it. You trade it if you get something that is worth more to you than it. Its the same principle as "nobody is untouchable for the right price."

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

There are only 2 GMs with a worse win percentage than JB who lasted 7 years as GM and one is Mike Milbury, lol. Yes, JB has a short leash and that makes me worry about “win now” over adding to the prospect pool and building for the long-term.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

I'm not worried. 2 years ago at this same time of year, JB was still waiting for an extension and we had missed the playoffs in all but 1 year of his tenure and there were many fans calling for him to be canned. Then, at the draft in 2019, he still took Podkolzin despite knowing that the player wouldn't be around for at least 2 years, the same thing that scared about half a dozen other teams away from him earlier in the draft. He did that knowing that he might not be around to benefit from the pick but that it was the right move for the long term of the franchise.

I have faith that he will make the same decision this off season, even if that means trading the pick for a young, established player. If he is able to make another Miller-esque trade that brings in a young highly impactful player I'm fine with that but I'd prefer him to make the pick. But, if you get an offer that you can't refuse...

Godfather GIF by memecandy

If its the right player then its a no brainer. Who knows some GM might think we will be worse next year and want our next years first instead of this years. 

Of the trade rumours in play i don't really see a fit for our pick. Keeping it and having another talented player on ELC is more important than adding e.g. Reinhart short term.

Many trades occur without rumours, e.g. Miller, of course, so you never know. My bet is we keep the pick though.

17 hours ago, aGENT said:

Depends on who you can get in return, who's still available or if Clarke or Hughes is still available at say 6, if we could use it to possibly move up.

There's no single or right/wrong answer.

Yes.   I voted keep the pick.   If we trade it, i'm of the opinion we might as well go all in then and keep making trades, and try hard to get some do good cheap vet depth for the post season.    Reinhardt is a very tempting player, IF all it takes is our 9th it would be a tough trade not to do.   Thing is it would need to be followed up with something equally as drastic, and for me at least, that would be trading QHs.    Sorry to be mean about that, i love the kid and his potential.  But i also love Horvat and he's waited long enough. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes.   I voted keep the pick.   If we trade it, i'm of the opinion we might as well go all in then and keep making trades, and try hard to get some do good cheap vet depth for the post season.    Reinhardt is a very tempting player, IF all it takes is our 9th it would be a tough trade not to do.   Thing is it would need to be followed up with something equally as drastic, and for me at least, that would be trading QHs.    Sorry to be mean about that, i love the kid and his potential.  But i also love Horvat and he's waited long enough. 

Well thats never going to happen so…

• Cheers 1

Keep the pick unless something too good to refuse comes up.

The team was on an upward trajectory point wise since Sedins' retirement except for this season, which I see more as an abnormality than the reversal of the trend. And as the core players are getting near the peak performance ages, they will be in the playoffs regularly; I wouldn't be surprised if we are in the playoffs as early as next season.

If so, we won't get a top 10 pick for a while. The player we pick with top 10 pick could do what Brayden Point did for Tampa in a few seasons = multiple SCF appearances and cups.

Edited by khay
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Of course you decide what to do based on what is offered for the pick. If you get offered a good young RHD and a prospect on top i do the deal right now. If not then keep the pick and build on what you have started here. Regardless our biggest need  is a decent shut down Defenseman. hopefully bigger than QH.

Healthy i like our top 6. We have enough forwards to play the bottom 6 role. 3 C or otherwise.  We need help keeping the puck out of our net, retrieving the puck in our own end, and creating scoring chances by turning the puck over at our own blue line for our forwards to break back the other way. Offensive chances are created by opponents losing the puck in transition and defensemen being able to pass the puck. I hope we find a gem of a D man this draft.

Jim says it is going to take 2 more years, lets take the 2 years!

#1. Keep the pick or trade up (I am all right with McTavish or Clarke ....or trading down for Sillinger, Svechkov or Ceulemans)

#2. Trade our 2022-1st for a player (Use the same frame work as the JT Miller trade)

#3. Sign a significant UFA  RHD, this year or next

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

depends for me - if Clarke is gone and Cernak+ or Parayko+ is available, I'd consider it. If Canucks got Parayko and a St Louis 2nd next year when scouting will be clearer, and could maybe include a Roussel or partial Eriksson dump, I'd definitely consider that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

There are only 2 GMs with a worse win percentage than JB who lasted 7 years as GM and one is Mike Milbury, lol. Yes, JB has a short leash and that makes me worry about “win now” over adding to the prospect pool and building for the long-term.

Agree!   my same fears, as both he and Green will definately be fired next season if there is an eihth straigh year of poor results.   Enough is enough and IMO, they both should have been put on a barge with Loui Errikson and pushed out to sea last month!  

Problem with trading the pick this year is just about anybody worth trading for will be hard to keep under the cap . trading up I really would hate for the Canucks to use two top picks only move up a few places . I don't really like the idea of trading out of the top 9 but if it was still a top 12/13 pick and the Canucks  get back say another 2 rounder Baa would need a 4th rounder as well . OK I still don't like trading down either . So keep the pick Hopefully Hughes , Clarke .Johnson or McTavish are there