The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(proposal) Van & NYI..Would U?

2 hours ago, Pears said:

Honestly why do people think trading Hughes would be a good idea?

just a stat: Quinn was - 24 in plus/minus last season. Only two players were even worse in Savard (CBJ/TBL) with -27  and Rasmus Dahlin (BUF) with -36. Quinn's defensive defencies are obvious.

- 24 that's almost Gudbranson like ::D.

I would move on and would try to get a more well rounded D-Man. Dobson would be great, but I doubt Lou would bite. Lou is one of the best GM's in this league. He wouldn't add a player like Quinn to this Islanders team.

From the Isles' perspective, they currently have ~$5 million in projected cap space for this offseason.  
Pelech, Sorokin and Beauvillier are all RFA's (Cizikas is UFA), and I doubt Beau gets nearly as much as Quinn would, while Dobson's on his ELC.
I'm not sure I know of a situation where the cap even works out for them since their core is all locked up and I doubt they'd move any of them.

Edited by Phil_314

I like Dobson but don't see him as a franchise defenceman right now.  Also, with Shaw coming in I think we will see a big improvement in Quinn's defensive game.  I don't think he will be signing a contract over $6.5 million so he should be relatively cost controlled for the next 3 years.  Quinn will only get better so we can either keep him and find him the right partner or we can trade him when his value is higher.

Also, it depends on the emergence of Rathbone.  If Rathbone turns out to be Adan Fox then he will be in our top 4 which would allow us to trade Quinn and get a huge return for him.  Right now our focus should be on getting some big bodies on the back end to complement Hughes and Rathbone and to get a 3C.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

just a stat: Quinn was - 24 in plus/minus last season. Only two players were even worse in Savard (CBJ/TBL) with -27  and Rasmus Dahlin (BUF) with -36. Quinn's defensive defencies are obvious.

- 24 that's almost Gudbranson like ::D.

I would move on and would try to get a more well rounded D-Man. Dobson would be great, but I doubt Lou would bite. Lou is one of the best GM's in this league. He wouldn't add a player like Quinn to this Islanders team.

So with your logic Buffalo should trade a true franchise defenseman just because he has a bad +/-? Literally no one on that team was good defensively last year lol and that stat is so bad to judge a player by. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

So with your logic Buffalo should trade a true franchise defenseman just because he has a bad +/-? Literally no one on that team was good defensively last year lol and that stat is so bad to judge a player by. 

It really is. When edler was 28 he was a -39 in 63 games. Was he the worst defensive player of all time or was the canucks garbage team in 2013-14 year to blame.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

12 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

My own pov: If he'll sign a reasonable bridge(3 yr, about 6 mill per) then great. If he wants to break the bank, then deals like the above would be considered.

Based on the interview with QH's agent, I wouldn't be surprised if the team does a long term deal at 6-7 mil range for QH and 3 year bridge deal for Petey.

I personally hope this does happen because QH at 6-7 mil will be a bargain deal of the NHL in 2 to 3 years.

Those players you want to target from NYI are pretty good players but I don't like the idea of trading a budding superstar defenceman, who is already scoring at 60 point pace. In his peak years, we may be looking at an 80+ point player. He may have defensive deficiencies but he is also only 21 years old and can work to improve his weaknesses under the mentorship of an experienced defense coach like Shaw. He can also be paired with a stay home defender to cover up his weaknesses like Erik Karlsson during his tenure with Ottawa.

Edited by khay
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

14 minutes ago, Pears said:

that's not what I wrote.

Read my post again. I wrote that I would move on from Quinn.

Have a good time, man.

18 minutes ago, Pears said:

hughes 2019/2020:  - 10

hughes 2020/2021:  - 24

do you see the trend?

You can't win hockey games with D-Men who can't defend.

Look at the teams that made it to the semi - final: Islanders, Tampa Bay, Montreal, Vegas and then look at their D-Men and their stats.

You're Nuts ...Nuts I tell you !!! I watched the first ever Canucks hockey game on a giant 21in color console TV at my uncles house and I have been waiting since that day to see a defenseman as talented as Quinn who can have me to the edge of my seat every time he touches the puck ! At his age he is only going to get Better and better and I for one want to watch him do it in a Canuck uniform . would love to see Dobson in a Canuck jersey someday but not for Quinn . Really hoping Rathbone is the real deal but how many games has he played ? Trading away the most exciting Defensemen the Canucks have ever had is Crazy . 

• Huggy Bear 2

51 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

do you see the trend?

Look at the teams that made it to the semi - final: Islanders, Tampa Bay, Montreal, Vegas and then look at their D-Men and their stats.

You also can’t win games when the systems your coach deploys solely relies on your goalie to win you games. 

15 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

So we will have to pay, what 12-14% of team cap ceiling to him? When things get ratcheted-up in spring, can you win with small blueliners who excel offensively?

I'm not trying to contradict for the sake of it. Do you feel these questions are worthless/pointless? Or is this particular yr(of sizeable D in vogue) just a one-off?

IMO, Quinn isn't going to get 12-14% of the team cap this new deal. 

He's still young, dynamic, and is not stupid. He will learn, adjust and become an even more explosive player. 

I'd keep Hughes, but if there's an opportunity to get Dobson, yeah, without trading Hughes. 

Edited by BarnBurner
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Trading Hughes, who's coming off a lackluster season seems like a huge mistake. Maybe let's get him with a stable D partner and see how he does rather than using this complete a anomaly of a season as an excuse to jettison our players for new toys.

If anything, Dobson would make an ideal partner for Hughes.

It's not gonna happen regardless, so there's no sense in talking about it. TS to those of you pulling for us to jettison Hughes.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Noah Dobson is an excellent young defenseman who can play in all situations, and is a right handed shot.  He is a comparable value, just plays a different style.  Adding in a solid young player who can provide secondary scoring to the trade helps out our third line both now and in the future.  Guys like Dobson don't grow on trees either and you have to give to get.

If I'm Jim Benning, I would GIVE Olli Juolevi to GET Noah Dobson.  That's it, that's all.

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

do you see the trend?

Brian Leetch...five straight seasons of being a minus player.  Over these five seasons he was, like, a minus 75 (give or take a few).  He's got a ring.  Quinn Hughes is going to be a superstar in the NHL.  He just completed his second season...better/spectacular days are ahead with Quinn.  I have no doubts (and I love big back ends, and that's no lie).

I remember all the nay-sayers saying you couldn't win with Paul Coffey...four cups later...(he was over minus 50 during his time with the Pens, by the way).

I honestly don't get the lack of confidence some Canucks fans have in Quinn Hughes.  And I'm quite shocked with all the proposals that are being made as QH being the player being moved out.  I just don't get it. 

To answer nuxfan...no I wouldn't.  Quinn is an untouchable at this time, for me (Pettersson, Demko, Podkolzin being the others).

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

do you see the trend?

Thomas Chabot was a -18 last year and a -10 this year.  Do you think Ottawa should trade him?  You are comparing +/- for players who are playing on elite playoff teams versus teams that didn't even make the playoffs.  Miro Heiskanen is another Dman who went from +14 last year to -9 this year.  Did he regress like Hughes?  Should Dallas trade him too?

Erik Karlsson was a -30 in his second year in the NHL in 2011, even worse than Hughes.  He went on to win the Norris Trophy the very next year in 2012.  Should Ottawa have traded him in 2011?  

• Cheers 1