The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The future of schmidt and myers

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

Who would you rather trade?  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So ive been thinking. Myers is signed for 3 more years and schmidt 4. Realistically our time to be a consistent playoff team is probably in 2 years. At this time both players are well into their 30s. If we were able to get rid of one of them this offseason which one would you like it to be? Would you be okay getting rid of schmidt for a 3rd for what we payed for him. 

the way i see it if we draft a big RHD in the 2nd which has a lot of talent this year he could probably be ready once myers contract runs out in 3 years. Which im okay with

Schmidt tho i dont know and dont think weve seen the best of him yet but still counts for a lot on the cap which can be used to find serviceable dman maybe even for a year where a lot of good defenseman will be UFAs. If he was signed for 2 years instead of 4 id be okay with but the contract is too long for our team imo.

who would you rather trade this offseason?

I think too many people wanted risto and decided to hate Myers because they wanted risto so bad. Who knows what they will do with the risto posters on their walls.

Schmidt is very versatile and we need that while the young guys get more comfortable playing bigger minutes and more games.

• Like 1

Too simplistic… for the same return, Myers for sure.

The reality is Myers has pretty neutral value at best with his contract and Schmidt (post expansion) should net some value.

So if it was just a matter of unloading Myers for cap space or moving Schmidt and getting a very good young 3C in return… I move Schmidt.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Offgridcamperdude said:

For me I’d keep Meyers.
I know this year was a write off from the beginning for a lot of players but Meyers simply showed more value to the team in my opinion. I’m one of the few here that doesn’t think Meyers is over paid at all, he’s worth every penny and Schmidt so far has not shown the same. again just my 2 pennies. 

Meyers gets alot more offensive zone starts (and Schmidt gets more defensive starts).  Easier to "look" better imho.

We still need both though.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

We need more D not less.

Ideally I'd keep both right now and add another one or two D via trade (Mayfield, Foote, Jensen etc) or UFA (Hamonic, Larsson, Savard, Hakanpaa, Ceci etc). 

We can always move someone in another year or two when Woo is ready and/or we've developed or signed/traded for another guy.

Hughes, Hamonic

Schmidt, Mayfield

Juolevi, Myers

Edler

Even assuming we can trade for a guy like Mayfield etc ahead of the ED and expose (and lose) Myers, I'd hope we kick tires on not one but two of that UFA list to at least partially replace him. I'd happily take Larsson and Hamonic/Hakanpaa etc in that scenario.

Hughes, Larsson

Schmidt, Mayfield/Hamonic/Hakanpaa/Ceci

Juolevi, Mayfield/Hamonic/Hakanpaa/Ceci

Edler

*Rathbone playing big minutes as the #1D in Abby and first call up.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Myers' real value was shown in the bubble.  He cleared the crease and played a really physical game.  I'm expecting both guys to play a lot better next year now that Shaw is here to limit the damage Baumgartner's able to inflict on our defense.

Yeah, Baumer should be left to marinate in the  bottom of totem pole (for a looooong time) after getting a real shot - he earned his benching/demotion with flying colors.

We saw how they both performed under Baumer and hopefully, Shaw can get back or increase there market value from Baumers devaluing.

For now, keep both but JB should (actively) be shopping both.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Myers' real value was shown in the bubble.  He cleared the crease and played a really physical game.  I'm expecting both guys to play a lot better next year now that Shaw is here to limit the damage Baumgartner's able to inflict on our defense.

Hopefully, he is encouraged to back to playing that style.  Despite all of the penalties, I actually really liked bubble Myers.

56 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Shaw is an assitant coach so is Baumgartner. Will be very interesting to see who has the authority to make the call / to make decisions. Baumgartner is still here and therefore can do the damage to Canucks defense the same way he has done it over the last couple of years.

For me it's pretty clear: Shaw can't wipe out Myer's defencies. Many fans believed Clark would fix Holtby's game. The season 2020/2021 just provided enough evidence that Clark couldn't.

Holtby's SV 2019/2020 with WSH: 0.897

Holtby's SV 2020/2021 with VAN:  0.889 even worse.

Myers will continue to take stupid penalties.

Myers will continue to turn pucks over in his own end

Myers will continue to fail on the man coverage

Feel free to enlarge this list....

• Like 1
  • RoughGame 1