The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The future of schmidt and myers

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

Who would you rather trade?  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Im sure theres a list of players they want. Not one or 2.

Thats how we got to Myers and his big contract that you want to trade away. So we just insert another body that wants 6 million a year in the open market. im sure you realize that there will be plenty of teams competing for those players including the teams they played for last season.

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Thats how we got to Myers and his big contract that you want to trade away. So we just insert another body that wants 6 million a year in the open market. im sure you realize that there will be plenty of teams competing for those players including the teams they played for last season.

Who says we have to spend 6 mill? What are you talking about? Make a list go from the top to the bottom its not rocket science 

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Who says we have to spend 6 mill? What are you talking about? Make a list go from the top to the bottom its not rocket science 

Lol.   That's what you have to spend to get that sort of veteran blue chip player.   He's not a -24 is he.   

• Thanks 1

Travis' system isn't right for the NHL. But I think these are some moves we could make. Islanders and Tampa have ED issues

Hughes-_______ (Cernak) 6'3 230

Schmidt-_______ MayField 6'5 225

Rathbone-________ (Myers) 6'8 230 

I'd trade 40th overall or Juolevi for Scott Mayfield he's at a cap hit of 1.45 for two more seasons. Definitely helps us with our cap issues and can play in top 4

I'd trade Jett Woo and next years 1st for Cernak and Tampas 2nd 

For expansion you can protect 3 D I'd protect Cernak, Mayfield and Schmidt. Leave Myers unprotected and if he gets selected great 6 million off of our third pair and we can re-sign Hamonic for 2 years 2 million

Edited by Outsiders
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Im sure theres a list of players they want. Not one or 2.

There is a decently long UFA list... I've posted quite a few of the names already.

Hamonic, Larsson, Savard, Hakanpaa, Oleksiak, Ceci...

That still doesn't mean that any of them are willing to come here, or come here at a rate we'd be comfortable paying. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, aGENT said:

There is a decently long UFA list... I've posted quite a few of the names already.

That still doesn't mean that any of them are willing to come here, or come here at a rate we'd be comfortable paying. 

Also doesnt mean nobody will come here either

Schmidt isn't getting enough respect in this thread for how good he actually is.

He's had a CF% above 50% his whole career until last season.

Get him a new D partner, clearly not working out with Edler.

He was the top D-man for Vegas for a reason, he's really good, let's give him a better chance to succeed and be an impact player.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Personally would like that. In 2 years i cant see why woo wouldnt be ready by then who already has good chemistry with rathbone. Yet we have Schmidt for 2 more years at that time. 

Rathbone and Woo ... doubt either will become a Schmidt.   And we don't have anyone in our system including OJ and QHs that will become a Myers.   When we went to the final we had 6 top four D's and the 7th, Ballard, was getting more percentage wise then Myers.   So not sure what this thread is all about.   Know last year was fugly, but Myers was our best D.   Not QHs.  Not Edler.   Sometimes i wonder if some folks even get what defense even means on this site.   Myers is a capable two-way D, won the Calder trophy very young for a reason, and is under contract for the remainder of his prime.   We are lucky to have him.   Schmidt ... well not so sure yet, but wouldn't be surprised if he has a good season next year.   QHs.  A ton of potential ... he's not Denis Potvin, or Ray  Borque or Lidstrom or Coffey, or even EK though. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

No we dont have to spend 6 mill for every defenseman on the team. 

No we don't.   But if we are going to spend that much, both Schmidt and Myers are not the problem.  

FYI.   We only have to spend 3-4 for our bottom pairing.   What's QHs going to cost us.   And what is the value of that going to actually be?   

Edited by IBatch

6 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Travis' system isn't right for the NHL. But I think these are some moves we could make. Islanders and Tampa have ED issues

Hughes-_______ (Cernak) 6'3 230

Schmidt-_______ MayField 6'5 225

Rathbone-________ (Myers) 6'8 230 

I'd trade 40th overall or Juolevi for Scott Mayfield he's at a cap hit of 1.45 for two more seasons. Definitely helps us with our cap issues and can play in top 4

I'd trade Jett Woo and next years 1st for Cernak and Tampas 2nd 

For expansion you can protect 3 D I'd protect Cernak, Mayfield and Schmidt. Leave Myers unprotected and if he gets selected great 6 million off of our third pair and we can re-sign Hamonic for 2 years 2 million

I'd be surprised if the move Schmidt to the left side when he's more comfortable playing the right.

57 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think we give him a regular, non Covid season, with an actual preseason, practice time, Shaw behind the bench etc before we make any declaration of his 'fit'.

Thank you!

I am surprised wirh how hard people are being on the team. Personally, I give them a pass for this last year.

No real preseason/training camp, not much time for newer players to practice and gel with the team, insanely condensed schedule, players getting hit with covid, not to mention the emotional and personal toll this last year probably would have taken on the players and their families.

Trading Schmidt or Meyers (we are short on RHD btw) after last season is lunacy. If JB made such a trade and they were able to turn things around on a new team, he would be crucified for giving them up after a poor season.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

Benning has made it clear that he sees the LD coved and that Hughes , Schmidt and Rathbone are the puck carriers. Meyers is a solid overall player but is he what they need on the right side. I think he stays. 

What the Canucks need is two defensive D men that also bring some grit. I think it is the wrong deployment to use Schmidt in a shut down role. 

Hamonic 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not sure how I feel about Ceci and don't know much about Hakanpaa, but any of those other guys are solid options for us for sure if we could afford it.

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Myers' real value was shown in the bubble.  He cleared the crease and played a really physical game.  I'm expecting both guys to play a lot better next year now that Shaw is here to limit the damage Baumgartner's able to inflict on our defense.

I just don't agree. That Fantenberg - Myers pairing was hemmed in their own end so much and Myers was outscored 8-1 at ES playing against opponent bottom sixes. 

And all the penalties and everything. 

I still have a lot of faith in Schmidt but Myers is a guy who's been 3rd on the depth chart on the right side for most of his career. (Wpg, then Edler - Stecher/Hughes - Tanev, then behind Edler - Schmidt, Hughes - Hamonic). 

Just too much money for a guy like that. If he made less, I wouldn't care.