The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Zach Hyman

Last year Miller was relied on to play in the middle with Pettersson injured and he looked good, comfortable. However, he helps form one of the top lines in the league when aligned with Pettersson and Boeser. But, I believe having three solid lines, anchored by three great centermen would be far more beneficial to the team. However, if Miller moves down to the third, we have an opening at 1LW.

So, I would make a play for Zach Hyman. At 6’1 and 214 lbs. he plays a similar game to Miller, great in the corners with a heavy body. In my opinion he would perfectly compliment Pettersson and Boeser. I’d have him somewhere between 4-5 million. Moving forward our top nine could look something like this…

Hyman - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Hoglander

Motte - Miller - Podkolzin 

What do you guys think? 

Edited by Doogie
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I really like how Hyman plays, but he’s coming 30, and will command a hefty contract on the open market.  Best stay clear of these older guys, who play his style too.  

The Leafs are going to miss him very much though.  

Yeah he’s a great player. But I sense a big contract and injuries. Let him find another team 

• Vintage 1

Have to agree with you guys. Hyman plays a style of game our team needs. That being said I think the downside out-weighs the benefits. He apparently is injured more than normal, that plus the salary he can command not to mention the term at his age, to me simply says its a no-go.

Like said above, is almost 30, plays a heavy game and that eventually catches up with you. He wants big money and honestly he's 2nd liner or very good third liner. At 5-6 million bucks I'd say hard pass. We can spend that money elsewhere 

I'm not so much worried about him being 30, vs the price he's going to command to come here. I think we can wait a year and find some cheaper bodies on 1 year covid cap deals. 

• Hydration 1

There is a reason Leaf Land gushes over this guy and rightly so.   Hyman is a great utility player.    For the right price of course he'd be a great add.   To me that would be 3.25 x 3 or lower.    

16 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not so much worried about him being 30, vs the price he's going to command to come here. I think we can wait a year and find some cheaper bodies on 1 year covid cap deals. 

Got to wonder how much longer guys like Perry, Staal, Thornton, and soon  Getzlaf, Simmonds are going to float around from contender to contender (or at least good team to good team) those are the types of guys at close to league min deals that i'd like to target for out bottom six.    Perry did it in Dallas, and now in MTL.    Staal who was supposed to be washed up re-invented himself in MIN...Getzlaf doesn't play much but is still a good warm body if you can get him healthy at the right time. 

35 minutes ago, IBatch said:

There is a reason Leaf Land gushes over this guy and rightly so.   Hyman is a great utility player.    For the right price of course he'd be a great add.   To me that would be 3.25 x 3 or lower.    

I think he stays with the Leafs at that price tho. To get him here we'd need to overpay for sure. TBH I don't see how TO doesn't bring him back, they really have to. They need to dump Nylander to improve.

35 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Got to wonder how much longer guys like Perry, Staal, Thornton, and soon  Getzlaf, Simmonds are going to float around from contender to contender (or at least good team to good team) those are the types of guys at close to league min deals that i'd like to target for out bottom six.    Perry did it in Dallas, and now in MTL.    Staal who was supposed to be washed up re-invented himself in MIN...Getzlaf doesn't play much but is still a good warm body if you can get him healthy at the right time. 

I would imagine Getzlaf would have a few choices if he's willing to take a 1 mil deal. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think he stays with the Leafs at that price tho. To get him here we'd need to overpay for sure. TBH I don't see how TO doesn't bring him back, they really have to. They need to dump Nylander to improve.

I would imagine Getzlaf would have a few choices if he's willing to take a 1 mil deal. 

Absolutely to both.   Why i don't think we will be in the Hyman sweepstakes.  Same with the Denault.   That guy deserves Selke attention if he can duplicate what he's done in the playoffs.  Turning down a 6 x 5 contract is no small thing but maybe he will reconsider now that they are in the final (Denault). 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely to both.   Why i don't think we will be in the Hyman sweepstakes.  Same with the Denault.   That guy deserves Selke attention if he can duplicate what he's done in the playoffs.  Turning down a 6 x 5 contract is no small thing but maybe he will reconsider now that they are in the final (Denault). 

Danault is doing good things, but 6 x 5? Oy. that feels like a mistake for him to turn down in the flat cap world. 

We may have eyes for Hyman and Danault, but we're gonna get Sutter at 2 mi; :lol:

On 6/27/2021 at 12:10 PM, Doogie said:

Last year Miller was relied on to play in the middle with Pettersson injured and he looked good, comfortable. However, he helps form one of the top lines in the league when aligned with Pettersson and Boeser. But, I believe having three solid lines, anchored by three great centermen would be far more beneficial to the team. However, if Miller moves down to the third, we have an opening at 1LW.

So, I would make a play for Zach Hyman. At 6’1 and 214 lbs. he plays a similar game to Miller, great in the corners with a heavy body. In my opinion he would perfectly compliment Pettersson and Boeser. I’d have him somewhere between 4-5 million. Moving forward our top nine could look something like this…

Hyman - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Hoglander

Motte - Miller - Podkolzin 

What do you guys think? 

Love it. I have been saying this for months.

Hyman

Armia

Bogosian 

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

Other than Tiger Williams and Jerry Butler, has any former Toronto player worked ok in Vancouver?

Sundin-perhaps, but that was a lot of coin.

I think Pat Quinn and Orland Kurtenback were Leafs before coming to us.  Gary Monahan was pretty good.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Pat Quinn and Orland Kurtenback were Leafs before coming to us.  Gary Monahan was pretty good.  

Thanks.

Not sure how to think of Felix Potvin's career as a Canuck.

• Vintage 1