The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Blackhawks working on Duncan Keith trade to Pacific Northwest or Western Canada

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Would only need him to play 15 minutes a night on the bottom pair. Doesn’t even have to be that good. Just as good or better than Edler.

Not too often you can add a future hall of famer to mentor your young d men.

I also don’t care if he’s an asshole l. We need more assholes on the team.

But is Keith “as good or better than Edler” these days?

I can’t say that I’ve really watched Keith closely these last couple years, but when I have seen him play recently, I’ve hardly been impressed. Of course, we’re talking about a former superstar player, so even after a noticeable and severe decline, he’s probably still okay-ish, at least compared to your average/replacement level Dman. 

But compared to Edler, especially analytically, Keith today appears to be the lesser player, and by far.

I think we, as Canucks fans, can be awfully hard on Edler, simply because we do watch him so much.

I expect Edler today would probably be viewed as the superior value player, by most people around the league (even many of the old school, eye-test centric, “hockey men”).

Alex has been pretty solid over the past three seasons, while Keith has been… not solid.

And when it comes to the asshole factor, I actually think Edler, at 35, plays a much meaner, more physically intimidating game, than Duncan Keith at 38 years of age.

I don’t necessarily view it as an “either/or” situation, but if I’m picking between Edler or Keith, I think I’m probably sticking with Edler.

(Would not necessarily be completely against Keith, however, with retention on his contract, and a cap dump going back the other way.)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I just don't want Keith here. During the playoffs he proved to us all what kind of guy he is, and we don't need that kind of guy on our team.

Otherwise, it might have made sense for us if we were able to exchange, say, Eriksson.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Would only need him to play 15 minutes a night on the bottom pair. Doesn’t even have to be that good. Just as good or better than Edler.

Not too often you can add a future hall of famer to mentor your young d men.

I also don’t care if he’s an asshole l. We need more assholes on the team.

Trade for some Krakens players.

Canucks announce the hiring of the Sedins, and now there's rumours Keith might come to Western Canada?

It's obvious.

Daniel's first task is to figure out how to get Keith on the Canucks.

Then, he sends Keith to the Abbotsford farm team.

Next, Daniel provides no ride for Keith home from the arena.

Duncan Keith walks home from the arena. In Abbotsford. At night.

Problem solved. 

• Haha 3
  • Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

But is Keith “as good or better than Edler” these days?

I can’t say that I’ve really watched Keith closely these last couple years, but when I have seen him play recently, I’ve hardly been impressed. Of course, we’re talking about a former superstar player, so even after a noticeable and severe decline, he’s probably still okay-ish, at least compared to your average/replacement level Dman. 

But compared to Edler, especially analytically, Keith today appears to be the lesser player, and by far.

I think we, as Canucks fans, can be awfully hard on Edler, simply because we do watch him so much.

I expect Edler today would probably be viewed as the superior value player, by most people around the league (even many of the old school, eye-test centric, “hockey men”).

Alex has been pretty solid over the past three seasons, while Keith has been… not solid.

And when it comes to the asshole factor, I actually think Edler, at 35, plays a much meaner, more physically intimidating game, than Duncan Keith at 38 years of age.

I don’t necessarily view it as an “either/or” situation, but if I’m picking between Edler or Keith, I think I’m probably sticking with Edler.

(Would not necessarily be completely against Keith, however, with retention on his contract, and a cap dump going back the other way.)

Keith has had a lot more wear on him than Edler. The amount of playoff games he’s seen, and the almost unheard of ice time during some of those campaigns, takes its toll. Edler hasn’t seen anywhere near that amount of ice time. 

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Keith has had a lot more wear on him than Edler. The amount of playoff games he’s seen, and the almost unheard of ice time during some of those campaigns, takes its toll. Edler hasn’t seen anywhere near that amount of ice time. 

True.

But even at 38 Keith is a better skater than Edler.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

How about we stop signing guys and build from within until we are actually ready to compete! Stop trying to do both. God damnit man! 

In reality you can do both.

We added Mats Sundin while we were building to mentor the Sedins. From all accounts he helped them quite a bit.

Adding Keith would be the same idea.

• Cheers 1