The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Blackhawks working on Duncan Keith trade to Pacific Northwest or Western Canada

19 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Thats why u get a draft pick from chicago otherwise whats the point?

Definitely need a 2nd and cap rentention or a cap dump going there way.

Not doing them any favours especially if they’re going for Eichel.

• Vintage 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

If Eichel and Reinhart are gone it just makes sense.

Completely agree. They already have a 1D, then won't have a 1C. I get that you don't pick for needs that early in the draft, but I'm not convinced that Powers is truly BPA this draft.. that being said... I'm not convinced it's Beniers either. But that's neither here nor there. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Completely agree. They already have a 1D, then won't have a 1C. I get that you don't pick for needs that early in the draft, but I'm not convinced that Powers is truly BPA this draft.. that being said... I'm not convinced it's Beniers either. But that's neither here nor there. 

I have a feeling Beniers will be better than Power when all is said and done.

Similar to Johnson going number 1 in 2006 and Staal and Toews going 2-3.

That being said I hope Buffalo takes Power and he busts hard.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Just a pipe dream.

But no doubt Benning has interest. And with Shaw onboard now it makes it a little bit more likely.

He is the best right shot D man available right now. If you can get him for the 9th and a mix of prospects you do it.

No guarantees he performs; and i would rather keep the pick to continually build the team depth with cheap & talented prospects.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I have a feeling Beniers will be better than Power when all is said and done.

Similar to Johnson going number 1 in 2006 and Staal and Toews going 2-3.

That being said I hope Buffalo takes Power and he busts hard.

Powers does have a much higher then usual bust potential for the average agreed upon #1. The top of this draft does really. Edvinsson and Johnson are also talked about having high bust potential.

• Cheers 1

I just cant see how chicago moves him without at least a 1st rnd pick added. I mean if we had extra cap space but was able to get a first or a second would be really tempting. U imagine we drafted mctavish at 9 and get to make another pick right after ottawa picks lol

I think its Chicago wanting to shed cap. Keith is 37 and still getting paid like hes 27.

no f’n way a 37 year old is worth a 1st round pick. 

its Blackhawks salary dropping. Bye old overpaid vet we hope your worth something in todays market hawks need cap space just like every other team.

22 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

I think its Chicago wanting to shed cap. Keith is 37 and still getting paid like hes 27.

no f’n way a 37 year old is worth a 1st round pick. 

its Blackhawks salary dropping. Bye old overpaid vet we hope your worth something in todays market hawks need cap space just like every other team.

I said the hawks have to add a 1st with keith. How could any GM trade for him? Who the hell wants a 5.5 cap hit unless you’re seattle i suppose if they add a pick.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

In reality you can do both.

We added Mats Sundin while we were building to mentor the Sedins. From all accounts he helped them quite a bit.

Adding Keith would be the same idea.

Aging forwards can be protected a lot easier than aging defenseman. Forwards can be utilized better in specialized situations where their veteran prowess can shine through.

You see that with Cory Perry, he is slow on his feet but makes plays and chips in in the right spots.

In contrast a defender has to play a regular shift and will be exposed for their weaknesses. It is possible to shelter them but a lot harder and really why should you? When they get old and slow that is all they are..... old and slow. 

There have been exceptions like Chara but not many othets.

Edited by GarthButcher5

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Messier 2.0, complete with character issues.  Hard no.  I'll become a Seattle fan before I welcome that subhuman piece of fecal matter.

suddenly I want Keith in vancity

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

In reality you can do both.

We added Mats Sundin while we were building to mentor the Sedins. From all accounts he helped them quite a bit.

Adding Keith would be the same idea.

Except Sundin was a Swedish legend and true franchise player. Keith was neither. If Keith is the best player on the Blackhawks for those years, they don't win a playoff series. That said, he was obviously a great player when he wasn't being a pos. But let's not get it twisted, Keith doesn't put up those points without Toews and Kane, with an honourable mention to Hossa.

The Sedins grew up idolizing Sundin. Did Hughes with Keith? I honestly don't know, but doubt it. Furthermore, does Keith have those leadership qualities and thirst for another cup? Sundin wanted to win. Yeah he got paid but he played well. Keith wants to be close to his family to close out his career. While respectable, that priority is not a fit with Vancouver at 5M+. Keith does not play the game with integrity nor is he by any means a marketable acquisition. That aside, I'd rather have Edler fill the vet dman role half the cap hit.

I really don't get it, Keuth can move to Pentictin anytime he wants. 

Those retirement papers just need to be drafted up and signed and away he goes off into the sunset never to be mentioned here again.