The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Roland Mckeown to Vancouver

To Vancouver:  Roland Mckeown
To Carolina:  5th round pick + bucket of chicken

Canucks get a young(ish) “defensive defenseman” RHD.  While Mckeown isn’t going to light the world on fire anytime soon, he has a style of game that should interest Vancouver.  A reasonable argument can be made that Mckeown would have made the NHL already had he not been in a Hurricane organization with stacked D.  Mckeown is stil young enough to take the next step even if it’s becoming a little unlikely.

Mckeown = our long lost Oscar Fantenberg replacement.  :-)

Edited by Patel Bure

He's a UFA, we can just sign him.  Not a bad backup plan to have and no-risk given we only have to pay him.
Still would want to target someone like Hakanpaa before a minor leaguer but might as well sign all the RHD.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Canucks get a young(ish) “defensive defenseman” RHD.  While Mckeown isn’t going to light the world on fire anytime soon, he has a style of game that should interest Vancouver.  A reasonable argument can be made that Mckeown would have made the NHL already had he not been in a Hurricane organization with stacked D.  Mckeown is stil young enough to take the next step even if it’s becoming a little unlikely.

So that would be Vey and McKeown for a 2nd and a 5th? Hmmmm

Edited by Rick Blight
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Still would want to target someone like Hakanpaa before a minor leaguer but might as well sign all the RHD.

Would REALLY like it if Benning signed Hakanpää. I only saw him those few games in Round One, but liked his mobility, agility and ability. A strong right sider for the 3rd pairing with Juolevi might work very well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

Roland McKeown was the guy that LA picked with the 2nd round pick we sent to them in the Linden Vey trade.

Anyways, just sign him in July. No need to trade for him.

I also completely forgot that Madison Bowey existed.  Assuming he doesn’t get claimed during the ED, maybe he’s a guy that gets a legit shot at redeeming himself here.

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Would REALLY like it if Benning signed Hakanpää. I only saw him those few games in Round One, but liked his mobility, agility and ability. A strong right sider for the 3rd pairing with Juolevi might work very well.

There's probably at least half dozen or so GM's looking at this guy thinking he could fill a similar need on their team.  I see him getting a considerable raise from what he was making - he showed very capable against high level competition in the playoffs. 

16 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I also completely forgot that Madison Bowey existed.  Assuming he doesn’t get claimed during the ED, maybe he’s a guy that gets a legit shot at redeeming himself here.

i see him as fighting for a spot, but most likely will be our 7th guy

6 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Pass on the chicken. Will take a jar of pickles though!

• Cheers 1

I just read on twitter that Podz was hanging out with VLADISLAV GAVRIKOV from Columbus. A 25 yr old dman under contract for 2yrs @2.8 plus its apparantly rumoured that he wants out of Columbus.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

More defensive minded stay at home type (Mckeown).  Rafferty, to my understanding, is an offensive defenseman.  

Roland also has a notable edge to his game, not a great fighter or overly physical guy but he does bring a solid physical presence.

He has just been buried in Carolina's depth and part of Roland's game is very quiet, no real elite skill or standouts, but just a nice steady guy.  He would be a nice gamble should he make the UFA market. I haven't seen much of him since he was drafted, but based on reading around about him, I would hedge a hypothesis that he is like an Aaron Rome sort of guy. No true standout qualities, but nothing glaring either making him a very low maintenance depth guy.

Considering our cap constraints, these are the sort of deals we need to swing for.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Roland also has a notable edge to his game, not a great fighter or overly physical guy but he does bring a solid physical presence.

He has just been buried in Carolina's depth and part of Roland's game is very quiet, no real elite skill or standouts, but just a nice steady guy.  He would be a nice gamble should he make the UFA market. I haven't seen much of him since he was drafted, but based on reading around about him, I would hedge a hypothesis that he is like an Aaron Rome sort of guy. No true standout qualities, but nothing glaring either making him a very low maintenance depth guy.

Considering our cap constraints, these are the sort of deals we need to swing for.

That was more or less my thinking as well. 

Mckeown is an NHL calibre level player and a very serviceable 3rd pairing dman in my opinion.  He’s just on a stacked Carolina Hurricanes organization.  Mckeown plays smart high percentage defensive hockey and he’s still young enough to take the next step.  Working with Brad Shaw on the Canucks might help him achieve that.