The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thousands dead in unmarked graves from Canadian Residential Schools

MeanSeanBean

On 7/4/2021 at 2:08 PM, shayster007 said:

My partner is Black and my Dad's American, I'm a duel citizen. I'm currently drawing awareness to our current racial injustice.  You somehow managed to insert yourself into a conversation that has nothing to do with you, make numerous assumptions that were all incorrect (which is actually pretty impressive), then make a argument that is invalid due to the fact I currently am trying to point on injustice within our own community.

Do you see the irony in this situation that you litterally just did the exact thing that is the problem. 

I thought you said that your partner was First Nations in one of your earlier posts that you have now edited.

Not familiar with term duel citizen, is that like dual citizen?

I decided to insert myself after you decided to become some sort of authority on what people should say or post here.

Also I call BS on your first sentence, I am sure if our debate shifts to Latin community, you will tell me that your mom is Mexican.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I thought you said that your partner was First Nations in one of your earlier posts that you have now edited.

Not familiar with term duel citizen, is that like dual citizen?

I decided to insert myself after you decided to become some sort of authority on what people should say or post here.

Also I call BS on your first sentence, I am sure if our debate shifts to Latin community, you will tell me that your mom is Mexican.

Bullying. The calling card of a great person. I have dyslexia which makes typing on my phone very difficult when auto correct doesn't work right. Also why I often have to edit my posts over and over again because it takes me numerous reads to catch errors.

I said my Nana was first Nation, never once said anything about my wife. You can call BS all you want, could care less what you think because based off your post here you don't seem like a very good person. The fact you are willing to question my wife's ethnicity shows your quality as a person. Still doesn't change the fact you inserted yourself into a subject and got litterally every point wrong. I can also let you know that no matter what you reply back I will not be replying back to you because I can tell no conversation with you is worth having. 

Edited by shayster007
  • RoughGame 1

25 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Bullying. The calling card of a great person. I have dyslexia which makes typing on my phone very difficult when auto correct doesn't work right. Also why I often have to edit my posts over and over again because it takes me numerous reads to catch errors.

I said my Nana was first Nation, never once said anything about my wife. You can call BS all you want, could care less what you think because based off your post here you don't seem like a very good person. The fact you are willing to question my wife's ethnicity shows your quality as a person. Still doesn't change the fact you inserted yourself into a subject and got litterally every point wrong. I can also let you know that no matter what you reply back I will not be replying back to you because I can tell no conversation with you is worth having. 

Thanks for the laughter, I agree on the second part though. 
I also don’t care what some random easily offended guy on internet thinks of me.

Especially the one that figured me out after one post, don’t quit your day job.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, gurn said:

So today was a great  day.

Shopping with Mom.

Powell River Rec center opened up for drop in swims, so I went.

Then the bank

then shopping for me

came home did dishes

Then onto the 3 websites I visit

Re-arranged my e mails to bring forward my retirement letters- gotta apply tommorrow.

Now a hockey game.

I only mention all this because on Saturday, in this thread, I said this :

"

Full disclosure I have not yet called my local MLA or MP, on this issue, to demand change or criminal charges where applicable. 

Who has?

I committ to doing so on Monday July 5th."

So much for my committement. :(

And it is just that easy for somethings to never get dealt with.

I will try again tommorrow, putting  it on my literal list right after I press Reply.

I have always admired you however now I hold you in the highest esteem.

To admit to oneself ones failings is hard enough.

To do so to others is harder.

And and on an internet forum for all to see 

That takes the quiet courage I really admire 

I know you don't need to hear this however big time admiration for you my friend.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2021 at 5:28 AM, Curmudgeon said:

Ah yes, group think. At some distant point in time, "groups of people" decided many things, such as that Jews were evil, blacks were lazy unless motivated by whips, aboriginal people were heathen savages who needed a heaping helping of Jesus and discipline, Irish were dirty and thieving, Indians were all ignorant Hindus, postwar refugees were nothing but helpless DP's (displaced persons) and so on. I disagree with you; it is NOT our job as a society "to respect those decisions". It is our job to respect whatever identity a person or group of persons wishes to be known a, because injustice at the hands of the majority is still injustice.

WHAT....the Irish aren't dirty and thieving !!! 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/walk-for-residential-school-survivors-1.6090950

My old man always told me, "when your sad or mad, take a walk". It was a way to decompress without saying or doing anything rash. Good for Landyn, it's amazing to see young people taking the matter into their own hands and doing whatever they can to try to help.

He's up to over 27,000 already. If you want to show your support here is the link that you can donate to.

https://ca.gofundme.com/f/landyns-journey-of-awareness

Edited by shayster007
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Ilunga said:

WHAT....the Irish aren't dirty and thieving !!!

It's one of those common misconceptions that everyone seems to take a face value, even though it's not true....

....that being said, I totally believe the story about copper wire being invented after two Scotsmen were fighting over a penny....B)

• Haha 3

Seriously though, whether this belongs here or in the "Liberal Election" thread, JT has appointed our first ever Indigenous Governor General:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/who-is-mary-simon-canadas-first-indigenous-governor-general/ar-AALQvfY?li=AAggNb9

Inuit leader Mary Simon made history on Tuesday after she was named Canada's first Indigenous governor general.

She is set to become Canada’s 30th governor general since Confederation. At the announcement, she described her appointment as a "historic and inspirational moment for Canada" and an "important step" towards reconciliation.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau echoed that sentiment.

"It is only by building bridges, bringing between people in the North and South, just like in the East and West, that we can truly move forward," he said shortly after making the announcement.

Mary Simon has done that throughout her life. I know she will help continue paving that path ahead. And we will all be stronger for it. Today, after 154 years, our country takes a historic step. I cannot think of a better person to meet the moment."

More in the link

• Like 2

Good for her, but I will point out she was named Governor General not "Canada's first Indegenous govern general" as the repor states.

She  appears to be qualified, with a life time of experience and working on important issues. 

Good luck  to you, Mary Simon, Governor General Of Canada.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, gurn said:

Good for her, but I will point out she was named Governor General not "Canada's first Indegenous govern general" as the repor states.

She  appears to be qualified, with a life time of experience and working on important issues. 

Good luck  to you, Mary Simon, Governor General Of Canada.

Good for her, hope she does well, but this seems like more of a PR move by the Libs.

38 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Seriously though, whether this belongs here or in the "Liberal Election" thread, JT has appointed our first ever Indigenous Governor General:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/who-is-mary-simon-canadas-first-indigenous-governor-general/ar-AALQvfY?li=AAggNb9

More in the link

Heard this on the radio.  She sounds a lot nicer than that last lady GG.  

As Catholic Church balked at paying residential school settlement, Quebec nuns sold nearly $25M in real estate

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/residential-school-financial-settlements-quebec-catholic-church-1.6092215

Three Quebec-based religious orders that staffed residential schools in the rest of Canada have earned millions of dollars from property sales in recent years, even as the Catholic Church said it couldn't raise enough money to pay its share of a settlement meant for survivors.

In a class-action settlement with Indigenous survivors of the schools reached in 2006, Catholic entities involved in residential schools pledged, among other things, to use their "best efforts" to raise an additional $25 million to help fund healing and reconciliation programs.

Nine years later, after raising less than $4 million, the church entities said they had done all they could and a court absolved them of having to pay the rest.

• Sad 2

On 7/6/2021 at 12:13 PM, gurn said:

Drove past the local NDP rding offices today, feds and provincial share an office, could not find parking so came home and sent of an e mail to each level,

To  federal MP, Rachel Blaney:

"Hi:

Just a note to say I will be voting for which ever party will do the best job of  solving the issues surrounding land rights and fresh drinkable water for our Indigenous peoples.

I saw a few minutes of the Party Leader on the news and liked what I saw.

However- NO more platitudes, or symbolism. Orange shirts are nice to wear, but action speaks with better results than frilly words.

Lets get things done."

And to provincial MLA Nicholas Simons; a fellow I have had many conversations with, and find to be a reasonable man.

"

Hi:

Just a note to say I will be voting for which ever party will do the best job of  solving the issues surrounding land rights and fresh drinkable water for our Indigenous peoples. I recognize this is mostly federal jurisdiction, but the province has role to play as well.

I saw a few minutes of the Federal Party Leader on the news and liked what I saw.

However- NO more platitudes, or symbolism. Orange shirts are nice to wear, but action speaks with better results than frilly words, or coloured shirts.

Lets get things done.

Had a reply from Federal M.P. Rachel Blaney on July 7/21:

"Dear   *******

Thank you for taking the time to write to me regarding this extremely important subject.  

Like you, and other Canadians all across the country, I am devastated by the increasing number of unmarked burials being discovered at residential schools. The growing number demonstrates the scale of the tragedy. Each of these children had a name. A family. They were loved by someone.   

The pain and sorrow of this knowledge belongs to all Canadians. This is part of our history and our present. And now, the hard work of reconciliation belongs to all of us. When people are hurting, we have to be there for them. When we ignore injustices, it does a disservice to us all. When we ignore the impact of the horrible things that have happened – we give permission for them to continue.   

This is only the start, as more unmarked burials are to be discovered. This is not the only example of the genocide of Indigenous people that is a dark stain on our nation. There are longstanding inequities facing Indigenous peoples and ongoing systematic racism still in place today. Healthcare for Indigenous communities remains underfunded and underserved, and many communities still do not have access to clean, safe drinking water, or access to adequate, affordable housing.   

We have seen an outpouring of grief and anger by Canadians. These feelings of grief and anger are justified reactions to this devastating news, and to the certain knowledge that there are many other unmarked burials at Residential Schools that still need to be found.   

There are too many children who never came home – and far too many who came home forever scarred by the abuse suffered in these schools. We need action from the Federal Government to honour the memories of these children. We need to ensure justice for their lives they didn’t get to live and for their families who never got to say goodbye. 

The work of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) lays out a clear path to justice and reconciliation. But so far, only 10 of the 94 calls to action have been completed. We need this government to do the work to fulfill these calls.   

This government cannot claim to honour the spirits of children who died in Residential Schools when they continue to take Indigenous kids to Court. This government cannot claim to take their role in reconciliation seriously when they force survivors of residential schools to wage legal battles for recognition and compensation.   

Justin Trudeau and his Liberal cabinet didn't even show up to vote for our Opposition Day Motion on June 7, which called on the Liberals to stop fighting Indigenous children and residential school survivors in court. The people who have the power to change things, couldn't even be bothered to vote. For all his words and symbolic gestures on reconciliation, when it came down to actually showing up for Indigenous people, the Prime Minister was nowhere to be found.   

New Democrats will keep fighting for real action – real justice – and real reconciliation because Indigenous people deserve more than empty words, promises, and symbolic gestures. 

All Church records must be turned over to ensure justice for Indigenous families. It's crucial that all of the communities whose children were taken be consulted and informed when these searches are happening. People need an opportunity to prepare themselves for these incredibly difficult discoveries. We will push to fund the healing resources that survivors need and to accelerate the Government’s progress to implement the TRC’s Calls to Action and to announce a timeline for fulfillment of the Calls to Action. The government must implement every one of them. Calls 71-76 can be implemented immediately.  

I recently spoke on this issue, which you can view here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEvPxDw1HW8&ab_channel=NDPMPRachelBlaney and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BmjzbIgma8&ab_channel=NDPMPRachelBlaney  

Additionally, in a special emergency meeting of the Standing Committee on Indigenous and Northern Affairs on June 3rd, my colleagues and I met to discuss the Truth and Reconciliation Commission recommendations 72-76, in response to the discovery of the unmarked burials found. The link to the video of the full committee meeting can be viewed here: https://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/Harmony/en/PowerBrowser/PowerBrowserV2/20210603/-1/35590   

If you haven’t yet signed the NDP’s petition, I encourage you to do so: https://www.ndp.ca/respect-indigenous-kids   

Thank you also for advocating for access to clean drinking water. Water isn’t a luxury – it’s a basic human need and human right.

When Justin Trudeau became Prime Minister in 2015, he made a clear promise – he would end Canada’s long-standing shame of long-term drinking water advisories on First Nations reserves in five years, by March 2021. Here we are 5 years later, and communities are still faced with drinking water advisories.

A recent report released by the Auditor General concluded that the government still isn’t providing the support necessary for First Nations to have ongoing access to safe drinking water. Sadly, the report shows that the government is still failing First Nations. This is the third report of this kind in the last 15 years and it’s completely unacceptable. Despite years of commitments from this government, the fact is that First Nations communities still don’t have clean, safe drinking water.  

New Democrats are demanding action for First Nations across the country, including a new co-developed law that would allow First Nations to enjoy the same legally binding protection of water quality that Canadians across the country already have.  

The Auditor General has laid out a clear path – stable, long-term, sustainable solutions to existing advisories, operating and maintenance funding that meets the needs of First Nations, and co-developed, binding regulations with real force that protect First Nations.  

New Democrats will work with First Nations communities to ensure that everyone has access to safe drinking water.  

Here is our latest press release on the subject: https://www.ndp.ca/news/ndp-calls-emergency-debate-water-crisis-indigenous-communities

Constituents across the riding have been speaking out on this issue and I had the opportunity to raise their concerns and question the government recently. I have attached links below for your viewing.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQZCSCe321U  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrV2-t4LV0A

You can also find more information on our plan of action here: https://www.ndp.ca/reconciliation   

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write on this issue, and for advocating for Indigenous people.     

Sincerely,   

Rachel Blaney, MP   

North Island – Powell River   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

https://www.cheknews.ca/over-160-unmarked-graves-discovered-near-residential-school-on-penelakut-island-836092/

160 unmarked, on top of the 121 they reported. 

“It is impossible to get over acts of genocide and human rights violations. Healing is an ongoing process, and sometimes it goes well, and sometimes we lose more people because the burden is too great.”

• Thanks 1

Will again mention that unmarked grave now, does not equal unmarked, unknown grave then.

Grave markers rot if made of wood over time.

EDIT:

To save others from my mistake, don't worry you'll see it in later posts,  here is the article linked above.

https://www.cheknews.ca/over-160-unmarked-graves-discovered-near-residential-school-on-penelakut-island-836092/

"

More than 160 undocumented and unmarked graves have been discovered near the site of the Kuper Island Industrial Residential School off Vancouver Island, CHEK News has learned.

The unmarked graves were reported by an internal memo circulated by Penelakut Tribe that has been circulated online.

“We understand that many of our brothers and sisters from our neighbouring communities attended the Kuper Island Residential School. We also recognize with a tremendous amount of grief and loss, that too many did not return home,” reads a statement from Penelakut Tribe Chief Joan Brown.

“It is impossible to get over acts of genocide and human rights violations. Healing is an ongoing process, and sometimes it goes well, and sometimes we lose more people because the burden is too great.”

Located on Penelakut Island across the water from Chemainus, Kuper Island Industrial Residential School opened in 1889 and was known as “Canada’s Alcatraz” due to its location on an island, but largely because it was rife with unimaginable abuse.

Indigenous children were trapped on the island and forced to endure horrific physical and sexual abuse at the hands of school staff.

A total of 121 children are known to have died at the school, with some having drowned while attempting to escape the island.

Tony Charlie, who first arrived at Kuper Island when he was 15 and suffered repeated sexual abuse, told CHEK News last month that the school grounds were being scanned by a team of researchers.

The discovery of more than 160 unmarked graves on Penelakut Island comes amid a wave of similar discoveries at other residential school sites.

More than 1,000 other unmarked graves have been discovered at or near residential school sites across Canada — including 751 at the former Marieval Indian Residential School near Regina — since the remains of 215 children were found in unmarked graves at the Kamloops Indian Residential School in May.

Murray Sinclair, the former chairman of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, said last month that the discovery of additional children’s remains at other residential school sites across the country is likely.

Edited by gurn
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1